I Know, You Get What You Pay For But.......

LUCKYDOG

......What do you think? I was on my way to Walmart to buy a Remington 700 ADL 30.06 for $417 dollars. I told myself I needed a timber or a brush gun with open sights. I know I was just making an excuse to buy another gun but we all do it.

Anyway, I stopped at Dicks Sporting goods and they had this CVA Optima Elite Stalker 30.06 for only $119 bucks. I bought it and ordered the iron sights for it. With the money I saved, I bought me a new Buck knife, Nikon Binos, and some Midway Radios. I still have some more to spend.

Now I'm not expecting 1/2 inch groups but surely it will be good enought to hunt pigs, elk and deer in the brush or timber.

Any of you guys own one or shot one? How did you like it?

I hope the quality of the rifle is better than the spelling on the box! LMAO! Notice the last pic!
IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

Last edited:
I know they have a Bergera match barrel, and it was supposedly co-developed by Ed Shilen. I've handled them as we sell them at work and they "seem" to be ok. I wish that the breech lever was in a different location, but its not a huge flaw I think.

Chupa

$120 for a single shot .30-06? If you're at 3" at 200yds you're good for anything you mention.

Any other option for sights/optics? May be worth picking one up for that price!

Good luck with it.

I'm just not a break action fan, especially when compared to a Remington 700 for $417.00 that is a good deal.

Dinner for two at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for $119.00 that would be a great deal and money better spent. IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Heretic

I'm good on scoped guns. Except for my 22LR, all of my hunting rifles have the same exact scope. The whole idea of this rifle was to have a 30.06 with open sights.

I very much dislike CVA but for the price I think you did good. Like you said t doesn't need to be super accurate and obviously it will be carried more than shot, so it should do fine. That's not much more than it costs to fill my vehicle. Lol

I have an Optima 50 caliber muzzleloader and it has one of the best triggers I've ever seen on a gun straight from the factory. It's also a good shooter.

Although not exactly the same gun, I bought a CVA Scout in 44 mag. several weeks back, to use for deer this year.

As cheap, break-open rifles go, I think it's a good value. I have gotten it down to consistent 1.5" groups at 100yds after experimenting with several different loads.

Which is better than the last couple of TC Encore barrels I've had.

The trigger is way better than any H@R that I've tried. I've gotten accustomed to the break open lever pretty quick.

There is no doubt that CVA has produced some poor quality stuff in the past. But based on the last couple of newer CVA rifles that I've shot, they seem to be on the right track. Although it does look like they need to have a talk with their box supplier about some proof reading.

I'll be interested in hearing how it does shoot for you.

Last edited:
Friend of mine (NOT A GUN GUY)just bought one in .243 at a pawn shop and give twice that much.He was telling me how good it was shooting for him held up his fingers about 4" dia circle lol Then proceeds to tell me he couldnt hit paper at 50yrds once he switched to 95gr bt from 100gr sp's.I asked him if he had cleaned it? NOPE!Asked me if I would I said sure.Let me tell ya that thing was a coppered up bad!!!! Took two days to get it cleaned.Bore sighted it at the range then zeroed at 100.Shot a 3 shot group with cheap Fed 100gr sp's shot WELL under a half inch..I couldnt effing believe it lol I stopped there so it could have been luck or whatever but he's very happy with it now.

If it came in .223 or hornet, that fellow who was looking for a cheap rifle for his kid should jump on it. Heck, for $119 I would jump on it. Just not in 30-06, I don't do recoil anymore.

Tom

Tighten the fillings tighten the belt pull the trigger and it will get felt.

Had a Contender like that once 30-06. The gun has been sold 5 times still on the first box of shells.

Originally Posted By: bfr4570Tighten the fillings tighten the belt pull the trigger and it will get felt.

Had a Contender like that once 30-06. The gun has been sold 5 times still on the first box of shells.

It has a 24 inch heavy barrel and is a very heavy gun. I doubt it will buck very bad.

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOGOriginally Posted By: Heretic

I'm good on scoped guns. Except for my 22LR, all of my hunting rifles have the same exact scope. The whole idea of this rifle was to have a 30.06 with open sights.

I meant can a scope be mounted to it?
smile.gif

I know there are some CVA haters, but the little CVA Scout I picked up for my son is a great little gun. At 10, he shoots just about 1.5" with factory 80 gr PSP. He hasn't hit a coyote yet, but it'll happen soon.

CVA has never really impressed me very much until lately. I bought an Optima MZ and with a bit of coaching from RockyMtrHunter, the rifle is way more accurate than expected. I get solid 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I used the tricks he told me about and what I had read and tuned a buddies rifle and its getting pretty close to the same accuracy. The Bergara barrels seem to be holding up to their reputation as good barrels. For $119.00 you should get all the performance you need.

Back