What's your favorite rifle, and why

Wyocaddis

You see I have a love affair with one little rifle. It is not the prettiest, still she has that inner glow that can not be denied. This rifle joined my family some years ago, after the original owner decided they needed the newest, greatest cartridge. I purchased this rifle in my high school days for 100.00, which was a sum at the time as my income came from stacking hay all summer in the 70's, which was not alot
smile.gif
I aquired a set of dies and brass, and a K6 weaver, and set out to see what this new prize of mine would do. I tried to speak with all the serious benchrest men I new at the time, maybe to gain a little insight as where to start. As I was to find out this was not needed because no matter what I shot through this rifle it shot well.
This rifle went on to accompany me to many a turkey shoot, and win the most of them as long as i did my part. Then came the occasional Hunter class benchrest match. Where I was kiddingly laughed off the line but tolerated as I was young just learning and could not afford the fancy rifles everyone else had. I held my own and it was soon determined by the local benchrest boys that they had to be on the top of there game agianst the newcomer.
To this day this little rifle will draw sweat off the PPC boys when i pull it out for nostaliga.This rifle remains as factory set, no modifications, no bedding, no better trigger, only thing upgraded is it now wears a 6x18 nikon.Those flies on the target are hard to pick off reliable with a striaght 6 power.
The rifle Oh yes the rifle!!!

Remington 600 Mohawk.My sweet heart
the Cartridge?

The Tripple Duece, of course

23be8018.jpg

Last edited:
Nice write up. Have any pics of said rifle?

Like you my fav rifle isn't pretty, but I've been deer hubting with it since I started deer hunting and just grew into it. Whatever I point it at seems to just fall over dead. Shoots most factory ammo right around an inch, some of my hand loads go under an inch. No bedding, not free floated, just a trigger job set at 2# and a 3x9 on top.
M700 30-06, spitting out 165g Sierra HPBTs propelled by a mild dose of IMR4350
ed7498ac.jpg

Most of the time it shoots likes this. .....when I do my part of course
wink.gif

afcf029c.jpg

I have several favorite rifles, all of which I like for different reasons. But my top two are:

1) Kimber 84M Varmint chambered in .204 - I think it fits me really well and the dang thing shoots better than I can. It gives me enough range to really put the hurt on varmints, but recoils so little that I could shoot all day without my shoulder getting sore like it would by shooting my .308 Longmaster Classic.

2) Henry Golden Boy chambered in .22 WMR - It may not be the most expensive rifle I own, but it is by far one of the most fun to shoot. I have shot more varmints with this gun than any other I own combined. It carries well, shoots straight enough to hit a jack rabbit on the run at a long distance, and it shoots faster than a bolt rifle. If anyone doesnt like a leaver gun, I sincerely wonder what the heck is wrong with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really say any one rifle yet, to date.
My love at this time is just a accurate round. The rounds that I love is my 17Tac, 204, and 243. If I had to chose its the tac. I am getting another 17Tac and a 20Tac made off a Mdl 7. I think that's when the love affair will begin.

My Krieger barrelled Remington 700 .220 Swift would be my pick. I may shoot one of my .223 rifles more these days but nothing still gives me a thrill like my Swift does. Pretty sure that nothing is going to change that any time soon.

As long as I can exchange oxygen for carbon dioxide in a somewhat verticle position I will be owning and shooting my .220 Swift.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Wyocaddisokay so how do I entry an photo

1) upload pics to computer
2)Create photobucket account

3)click on upload on photobucket.com

4)browse your computer and click on pic you want

5)click on pic in photobucket once upload is complete

6)right click on img line under or beside pic and press copy

7)right click in your reply on this site and press paste, done

Last edited:
Mine's got to be my model 700 Adl. Started out 30+ years ago as a .22-250 Remington and has accounted for ALOT of dead Coyotes. But recently it has been rebarreled and is now a .22-250AI. If I would of known how much better of a rifle I could of had I would have went with the Ackley Improved a very long time ago. It is a coyote killing machine.
thumbup.gif

Good Hunting Chad

It is hard to pick just one but the ruger 77 that actually belongs to my dad. It's the 22-250 that I grew up shooting. I bought him a 204 a-bolt a few years so he doesn't give me too much crap about wanting it back. Either that or the 22-250 Howa ranch land compact like carrying a bb gun around. Utahcaller is ackley that much better or is it more the rebarrel.

Probably a little of both. It is a 26 inch 1/12 twist Shilen stainless matte.So yes it is a good barrel but where I was shooting 55 grain Nosler BT's at 3700 fps in my standard .22-250 I'm now shooting 60 grain Bergers at 3800 fps and they shoot extremely well(under half inch groups)....

Good Hunting Chad

I have others but a Springfield M-84 that my son gave me 15 years ago, it was a project when he gave it to me,new barrel on it, new trigger group and reworked the wood. Its not fancy, not a benchrest gun...but it does drop what I point it at. It is a box mag fed 30-30 win. I reload 110 grain varment bullets in it and it has accounted for over a dozen coyotes, a mess of crows, and a mountain lion. I wears an old steel tube Weaver K-3.

Now I have to tell you about another one...I just recently aquired a Remington 722 that I had a barrel in .257 Roberts for...it is being put togather as I type, and I am re-working the wood....it will get a very early Weaver KV 2.5 to 5 scope. Its gonna be fun

Last edited:
My all time favorite rifle "was" (I gave it to my Grandson)a Mod. 70 Winchester Youth Ranger in .243 Win. Killed my first Called in coyote with it.

My Favorite one now is which ever one I am using at the time.

DAB

Remington 700 CDL, 25-06. Love the fit and feel of the rifle. It has a good piece of wood and whats not to love about a blued rifle with good wood. Mix in that its crazy accurate and kills things dead where they stand. Just about perfect in my book.

105_2227.jpg

I posted a picture and close to the same comments as here on my facebook page. Heard from a from an old friend have not been in contact with in over 20yrs. who seen the post and remembered hunting sod poodles together with that rifle. Funny how things come about.

My all time favorite rifle "was" (I gave it to my Grandson)a Mod. 70 Winchester Youth Ranger in .243 Win.

As it should be I too have a grandson that will aquire mine in time (only 6 now)

Last edited:
Back