What's your favorite rifle, and why

IMG_1190-1.jpg

My custom build (by me) 6x45.

Why?.... She was my first 100% from pieces build, shoots really well, balances perfect, is lightweight, and is super versatile. I've shot pdogs, rabbits, coyotes with the 58vmax and am now trying to work up a deer load with 80gr SPs.

Oh and I LOVE the way she looks!

Last edited:
How quiet is that 6x45 with that linear comp on it? Did it cut down on muzzle blast much? The one on my 6.8 did, and I've been thinking about threading my 6x45 for one as well.

Not my favorite, but if the house was on fire and I only had time to save one of them. This would be it. It's a Remington 700BDL in .30-06 that my stepdad gave me as my first deer rifle of my own. It's got an older Leupold VXII 3-9x40 on it and a Gentry "Quiet Brake". There is nothing "Quiet" about it!

HSHDshellTOYBlizzard054.jpg

Chupa

Originally Posted By: MPFDHow quiet is that 6x45 with that linear comp on it? Did it cut down on muzzle blast much? The one on my 6.8 did, and I've been thinking about threading my 6x45 for one as well.

Honestly the only time I've ever shot it without hearing protection is while hunting... and in the rush of all that, I couldn't even remember to tell you what the noise is like. Muzzle blast is just about zero on this one though. Recoil is also less than my 223s, I don't know if that's the break, adjustable gas block, or both.

My newly manufactured Winchester Model 70 30-06. Best bolt gun/cartridge combo I have ever owned. Just returned for Africa and collected every game animal up to an 1800 pound Elan with it. What took me so long?

I'd have to say my favorite is my older rem 700 in the ol triple duece:) glass bedded stock and some sort of aftermarket trigger were added by my grandpa. Super small groups with 50 gr. Sierra spitzers and 20g of 4198...now if I could cook up a good load for the 40 gr vmax...
smile.gif

IMAG0143.jpg

Last edited:
Most near and dear to my heart is a Marlin Model 99-M1 .22lr, built in the 60's, handed down from my grandpa to my dad to me. It's basically a Marlin 60 action, but with a 10rnd tube, and stock to look like a small M-1 Carbine.

It originally came with a rear sight that mounted on the scope dovetail, but grandpa lost it sometime in the 70's, so dad always used it with a scope. When I got it in the 90's, I took the scope off of it because I was using it for coons over hounds at night, needing an open sight. I used to aim by indexing the top groove of the handguard against the front sight, until the front sight fell off around 2000. Since then, I've been shooting it with no sights. Funny thing is, I can still shoot it just about as well as I ever have been able.

It's funny to think that it was "just a rifle" to them, but how it's become an heirloom to me, that I'll pass down to my boys someday. Grandpa and dad didn't take very good care of it, so it has some pitting, a ton of scratches, and the stock looks like he11, but if there's ONE rifle I'd never part with, that'd be the one.

If I didn't have boys to pass it on, I'd have it buried with me.

Originally Posted By: SethTI'd have to say my favorite is my older rem 700 in the ol triple duece:) glass bedded stock and some sort of aftermarket trigger were added by my grandpa. Super small groups with 50 gr. Sierra spitzers and 20g of 4198...now if I could cook up a good load for the 40 gr vmax...
smile.gif

IMAG0143.jpg
Go to Hodgdon's online reloading and try some 8028XBR. I've had fantastic results with it in several 222's through the 22-250. My 223 load for my AR is with 8028XBR and 50 grain Noslers.

I am a big fan of my Browning A-Bolt 30-06 ............ it's been an awesome shooter from day one out of the box decades ago .......... it shoots everything great from 55 grain accelerators to 220 grain soft points and everything inbetween .......

I generally shoot 180 grain PSP Remington Core-Lokt for big game and have never missed an intended target in all my years of hunting with it ...........

0633028001259933997.jpg

blopez50 said:
IMG_1190-1.jpg

Nice configuration, absolutely no offense intended, haven't figured out what I think of the color. Certainly don't dislike it but it's very unique. Would suspect it's a fun gun to shoot. Don

Originally Posted By: drscott
My favorite rifle I have had in my years was also a 600 Remington. It was born as a 243. My dad had it for years and when I was 17 he gave it to me. I shot it for several years till it started throwing fliers. I re-barreled it in a 308. This was my go to rifle for most of my life. I carried it on a saddle with iron sights for years. Killed everything from coyote to elk with it. My son killed his first deer with it when he was 16 and I gave it to him for Christmas that year. I still miss that gun, but it is where it belongs. I truly hope he gets the enjoyment out of it that I have. He has sense taken coyotes, Orex and deer with it. I have sense picked up an older model 700 BDL 6MM and it has been following me around quite a bit.

drscott

Nice history with the gun. Don

My 20VT, Stiller Action, Rock Barrel, Shilen Trigger

These groups were shot with about 1700 rounds down the barrel with a 34gr Nosler Dogtown bullet moving 4100fps.

DSC00654.jpg

IMAG0365.jpg

Originally Posted By: ScotI have many great and highly accurate rifles in my varmint/coyote hunting battery. Most all are capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy with hand loads. I do like the CZ 527 rifles (have 4)...accurate, lightweight and perfect walking/calling rifles.

+1 on the CZ527. It is a really neat little light rifle. Only issue I had with mine was recontouring the bolt handle to clear the scope ocular lens.

Yes... I know this is an old post I just came across, but have 2 beautiful old ( Rare ) rifles I care a lot for. However, neither can be described as a varmint or predator rifle.

The two I would like to mention as my favorites are:

First, my Winchester M70- "Mannlicher" w/it's full length beautifully hand checkered stock and 19" factory barrel in 30-06.

I got it at start of my second cruise to SE Asia during a stop over in Pearl Harbour from a Winchester Factory Rep. who came aboard ship in 1973 to take orders for Winchester Products.
( I actually got it for $105.00 brand new back then. )

The second is my Remington M-600 350 Remington Mag.
Both rifles still see occasional use even today, as the 350 manufactured in 1965 still handles better in the timber and brush found on the WA coast while hunting Blacktail and Roosevlet Elk than any other Rifle I own.

The very rare M-70 still sees the wide open areas of Central and Eastern WA during Mule Deer hunts on the years I choose to hunt "Modern Rifle" season.

Then I would have to pick my 1949 Win M-94 in 30WCF which is beautiful, near mint, and hardly ever escapes my gun safe as a close 3rd.

Gene

Quote:Winchester M70- "Mannlicher.......I got it at start of my second cruise to SE Asia during a stop over in Pearl Harbour from a Winchester Factory Rep. who came aboard ship in 1973 to take orders for Winchester Products.
( I actually got it for $105.00 brand new back then. )

The second is my Remington M-600 350 Remington Mag.

Very nice! I've always had an affinity for mannlicher stocks! That 350 must be quite a handful in the little 600.

I've had many "favorites", most of which have come and gone over more years than I care to admit, but there can be only one all time favorite in my book. Accuracy rules.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Back