What's your favorite rifle, and why

I would have to take my home built savage in 222 of course
thumbup.gif
this thing is just a pleasure to shoot.

32A96FA4-E807-4DC7-AD79-95FAB519D7D2-1583-000003CD9C4D9F32.jpg

5C325407-47C6-41C6-83FB-6CD31B3250F1-1583-000003CD8B89FA07.jpg

Of course my rem 788 in 7mm-o8 My dad bought me this after a 4 yr navy hitch in 1984. Been a deer killer and i'm waiting for my 5th 788 as we speak this one in 222 hope to get it by the weekend

1012683060028512669S425x425Q85.jpg

Savage package gun in .243, made long before the AccuTrigger was invented. This rifle has killed more critters for me than any other I've ever owned, and it just plain fits me. The cool thing is that it's had a trigger job, and a change from factory loads to hand loads, and the only scope adjusting I've ever done is to raise it three clicks when I made the ammo switch.

Marlin Model 30TK - Sweet shootin little lever action, no scope, but deadly accurate!

30 TK denotes -- model 30 - Texan Stock - K-Mart

Limited run of them made especially for K-Mart, produced for about 2 years, late 88 - 90. Numbers produced are hard to find, but I've seen it suggested there were only around 8 - 9 thousand of them ever built.

-- 18" Barrel
-- Texan stock
-- 2/3 length magazine tube is a full 2 rounds shorter ~ 4 in the tube/1 in the chamber.
-- Overall length is 36 1/4" ~ 2 1/4" shorter than the standard model 336.
-- Same dovetail sights as any 336, drilled and tapped for scope from factory.

Only down side to these little guns was, they were fitted with a birch stock, rather than the walnut stock used on the Marlin Texan Carbine line. Otherwise, they have a very strong following amongst Marlin owners as those in know, KNOW they are sweet shootin little guns!

Fell in love with mine first time I picked it up; sister-in-law wanted me to give her an idea what her former husband's guns were worth, as she thought she had a buyer for them. I told her if he didn't take the 30-30, I definitely would. Turns out the other guy wasn't looking to buy guns, he was looking to steal them, and he offered her about half what they were worth. Lucky ME!!

Marlin30-30.jpg

Can't really say I have a favorite. Each one is special to me in its own way and none are for sale. Lately my Remington M7 in 17rem has been seeing the most action. Soon my muzzleloader will be the center of attention followed by my 7mm08 then back to the 17rem and the rimfires. By spring, my attention will be back on my 243 and AR 223 again. I think I have rifle A.D.D.
lol.gif

My Rossi 223, the first rifle I bought on my own. Light as a feather and kills 'em dead, what more could you want? Now that I have a few more rifles its become the truck gun, but it still sees the most action. I dont have any pictures handy, but it's the gun I'm holding in my avatar. Of course it's been through a few paint jobs since then.

Last edited:
Not gonna mention any I've owned that aren't my "favorite," because I've been happy with them all basically but there's something about my Weatherby Vanguard Weatherguard 223. Not a high end expensive rifle for sure but it feels and shoots like it should have cost a lot more. Only used handloads with it from the time I bought it in 89 but I'm guessing factory ammo would shoot great as well. But somehow it feels really right. I guess it must fit me near perfect. This could be a big reason why I like it plus 223 is great to shoot and if I do my part a miss is nearly never gonna happen.
I guess this is what you'd call a "sweet shooting rifle!"

This also explains my signature:

Last edited:
My favorite is a Sako L61R Finnbear in 264 Winchester Magnum. It has followed me on a lot of hunts since I acquired it in the middle 1970's as a used, but in excellent almost NIB condition, rifle, and it has never failed me. By serial number it was built in ~1966, and today it is still as accurate as it ever was.

If I had to reduce the herd to just one rifle, I'd have a tough time getting rid of several rifles chambered in 7MM Rem Mag (my favorite medium game hunting cartridge), but this 264 might be the one to keep. Both because it's very accurate and because of the memories it has been a part of with me. And the 264 Win Mag will kill anything that the 7MM Rem Mag will kill.

Impossible question for me. Rifle I wouldn't ever part with but don't shoot much, a Ruger No. 1 in .458 Win Mag, beautiful wood, accurate, gun I'm presently excited about, a Remington R15 in 30 Remington AR, gun that is great fun to shoot, an inexpensive Remington 597, .22LR semi auto. Don

Mine would be a Remington 700VS in 223, I had worked with a couple 223s before I bought this one and had really started to like the 223 in general, This was my first HB in 223 and things just clicked right off the bat, gun was very accurate and it just felt good, many groundhogs met there demise with that rifle.

For me it would depend on favorite for what use.. For hunting coyotes, it's going to have to be my Remington 700 Mountain guide stainless in .243 Winchester. If I was designing a bolt action rifle to be a predator model, this is it. It has a 20" lightweight barrel, a quality synthetic stock, weather proof stainless steel, jeweled bolt, easily adjustable trigger, and will shoot .5 MOA three shot groups at 200 yards, using my handloads. What's not to love.

Coyote11-125.jpg

I also have to mention my Model 700 BDL enhanced in .243 Winchester. I restocked this rifle with a CDL stock, adjusted the trigger to 3 pounds and topped it with a Leupold VX III 4.5-14 scope. This is also a great coyote rifle, though just a bit heavier and not so weather proof as the Mountain Guide. For sheer good looks coupled with great accuracy, this is my favorite.

IMG_1100.jpg

These would be my two favorite all around calling rifles. But if I just know I won't be hunting open country where I may get an over 300 yard shot, there's my Bison Armory Barreled 6.8 SPC II chambered AR-15. It's a great rig for close cover calling. Great knock down power spitting 90 grain HP's at 2900 FPS from a 16" AR carbine!! A real hammer for big yotes. Darn, I like it too.

Last edited:
For now it is my CZ550 Varmint in 308 Winchester. Just a magnificent combination of walnut and steel. Controlled round feed. Detachable box magazines, either 4 rounds or 10 (9 actually works better). 2.5-10x IOR scope w/ killflash and FFP MP9 reticle. For some reason this rifle just works for me.

I think maybe it is the small wrist which makes it so much more handy to use than a big old fat palm swell. I dunno.
smile.gif

The forend is a neat compromise between a deep "V" for actually holding with your off hand, and a flat bottom for shooting with bipod or benchrest. The recoil pad keeps it firmly planted in the shoulder. The 308 cartridge is so easy to load for, and this one seems to like most anything I feed it. Cold hammer forged barrel, controlled round feed, and the excellent set trigger are just really nice. Heck, even the standard trigger (non set) is really nice.

Only down side is it is quite heavy for my taste, which is why I bought the Mannlicher Schoenaur, which is not yet up to speed with optics etc., but I anticipate will be a great hunting rifle in 243 caliber.

IMG_0784.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

My favorite rifle I have had in my years was also a 600 Remington. It was born as a 243. My dad had it for years and when I was 17 he gave it to me. I shot it for several years till it started throwing fliers. I re-barreled it in a 308. This was my go to rifle for most of my life. I carried it on a saddle with iron sights for years. Killed everything from coyote to elk with it. My son killed his first deer with it when he was 16 and I gave it to him for Christmas that year. I still miss that gun, but it is where it belongs. I truly hope he gets the enjoyment out of it that I have. He has sense taken coyotes, Orex and deer with it. I have sense picked up an older model 700 BDL 6MM and it has been following me around quite a bit.

drscott

My favorite rifle is my Winchester M70 featherweight XTR .243

My dad bought this rifle for me the Christmas before I turned 12. It wears a Leupold 2-7x, no mods, and always gets the job done. She likes 100 gr Winchester PSPs the best. This is the gun to which I compare all others for fit and function. I love it and will pass it down to my children.

DSC00356_zps15dd6fcb.jpg

The gun that holds a special place in my heart is a Win model 94 30-30 (circa 1951) that my grandfather gave me when I was 11, with the stipulation that I was not to shoot until I had passed hunter safety. Well, I held up my end of the bargain, and Grandpa was killed in a plane crash a few months later. I killed my first deer, and several more with that rifle. Sure wish grandpa was around when I shot that first deer.

Actually gets me a little misty eyed, that was 28 years ago.

It now sits in the back of my safe, only to come out once a year for a wipe down.

I like my M4. Its very accurate and i can convert it to a .22LR for backyard plinking. That Glock 30 is new and its becoming my fav. handgun too....
thumbup1.gif

IMG-20120330-00222_zps377e3453.jpg

My old 788 .243 carbine. Why? Don't know about any 30 shot target strings
rolleyes.gif
The first shot from a cold bore is what matters to me and this little beauty has never let me down.
DSCF1140_zps24aa6069.jpg

I have many great and highly accurate rifles in my varmint/coyote hunting battery. Most all are capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy with hand loads. I do like the CZ 527 rifles (have 4)...accurate, lightweight and perfect walking/calling rifles
P1010044-1.jpg

Back