Great RED LED Long Range Weapon Mount Light Setup

Battery Junction had the Olight M-20 Crimson Red Led night light on sale today at 15% off the $89.99 list price so I got two more of them for conquering the night predators!
thumbup1.gif

Here is the Olight M-20 Crimson Red Led and Olight M-3X with green glass filter no joke setup that kills out to 250 yards precisely:

Front.jpg

Rear.jpg

Top.jpg

Lights.jpg

OK,not have used neither type or any other for that matter,which one would be the better choice for a first light,and which batteries and accesories would be best cost and performance wise? It wouldn't be used alot compared to some but would be used frequently. I was all set on the xlr250 and then another light get thrown into the picture. Thanks

Last edited:
Good question, I would like to read some input also. XLR250 or Olight M3X XM-L? They look to basically be the same light. Do people use these lights as both scan lights and kill lights? Thanks.

Hey SkyPup since you changed the reflector in your olight, would you say its better than the 250 or equal? Also can you get a standard led for the olight? I would like to swap it out for tactical purposes.

The Olight Crimson Red Led has the same throw as the KLR-250 it is just wider and not as pin pointed at 200 yards covering about double the area, with the smooth reflector it is even stronger and better. The Olight M-20 Crimson torch has the same setup as the M-20 white led light.

If you don't know what you are doing, it is probably better to get the single LED KLR-250 in either red or green and get the convenient drop in led module of the other red or green color to change out the lights, or get the white led.

Originally Posted By: jsephSo what is the reason for having two lights different colors? Setup does look sweet

Red for close up work (

Originally Posted By: DANNY-LOK,not have used neither type or any other for that matter,which one would be the better choice for a first light,and which batteries and accesories would be best cost and performance wise? It wouldn't be used alot compared to some but would be used frequently. I was all set on the xlr250 and then another light get thrown into the picture. Thanks

Get the KLR-250 and accessory batteries and charger if you do not know what you are doing and do not have much experience with lithium ion led torches.

Originally Posted By: yzsuperleeGood question, I would like to read some input also. XLR250 or Olight M3X XM-L? They look to basically be the same light. Do people use these lights as both scan lights and kill lights? Thanks.

They are no where near the same light and have virtually nothing in common. They are used for both scan lights and kill lights, just like the KLR is.

"The throw on the XLR-250 does beat out the smaller Olight M-20 Crimson by about 25 yards or so but the difference in overall performance is minimal. They are both great RED LED torches that compliment each other well if you are using both of them."

Just curious you made this statement earlier in the post, before you changed out the reflector. I am looking at purchasing a light for my AR for both hunting and tactical purposes.

If you can only have one RED LED get the complete KLR-250 package from Jerimiah.

Once you have that and become accustomed to it, you may wish to get the Olight M-20 Crimson to increase your night light setup. The smooth reflector for it even adds more throw to an already capable weapon torch.

The KLR-250, for me, works best as a handheld or tripod held scan light and I am using the M-20 as my weapon mount light.

Everyone's environment is going to be different with various factors involved, so my setup may not be good for every stand that others may encounter, but it works simply outstanding for me.

Originally Posted By: BumrushSo can you get a standard led for the m-20? If I wanted to change it out for other than hunting.

Sorry to mislead you on that.

The Olight M-20 is the same basic design in either Red LED or White LED, however the LED is much more difficult to change out than the design setup integral to the KLR-250 (the KLR-250 has a simple drop in LED module that screws in), whilst the M-20 design is a much more complicated electronic design that does not allow easy change out of the LED module.

If you wanted a white led M-20, it would be best to get a separate white led M-20 and don't mess with changing out the M-20 Crimson LED module.

Basically, the M-20 Crimson LED has a Cree XPE-R2 LED, whilst the M-20 white LED has a Cree XML-R5 bin or Cree XPG-S3 bin, so the electronic regulation of the LED circuits is different and not interchangeable.

If you need both RED and WHITE LED in the same torch, stick with the KLR-250.

I AM SUPPOSED TO BE GETTING MY XLR250 FFROM JEREMIAH TOMORROW i CANT WAIT!!!! DOES IT COME PRE-CHARGED OR DO i HAVE TO CHARGE IT FOR 10 HRS OR SO BFORE I GET TO USE IT? HEY JEREMIAH HOW MUCH DOES IT COST FOR A WHITE LED THAT I CAN SWAP INTO MY XLR250?

Here is the entire color spectrum of a dog, coyote, fox, or other four legged animal.

If a dog is watching Disney World on a color RGB televsion set, he only sees yellow and blue....

Dog%20Vision.jpg

dog_color_vision.png

Last edited:
We cloned the human genes for Red-Green Color Blindness and inserted the gene into a small virus and injected it into the eyes of Red-Green Blind Squirrel Monkeys a couple of years ago, here is a layman's description of the work:

http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090916/full/news.2009.921.html

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/09/colortherapy/

dalton2.jpg

Here is the research article, not sure if you can see it if not logged on to an academic IP address?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v461/n7265/full/nature08401.html

Dogs see the same image as on the left...

Last edited:
Back