223 vs 22-250 vs 204

Bob .17, Let me know how that Savage Walking Varminter rifle turns out. Since I first looked at it, I've been curious.

Thanks!
thumbup1.gif

I have a .22-250 bolt gun and a .223 varmint AR setup and use them both. The AR gets used more often, no particular reason, but both will make yotes cease frolicking forthwith.

when you take a 204 out with you. They will just put there paws up and jump into the bed of your pick up .They all know that the 204 is a death machine !!!!!!!!!!!

Currently owning and having shot various models of all 3 calibers, I can say without much reservation that you would be hard pressed to beat the .204R.

It shoots straight, has very little drop, great ballistics and and is explosive on targets. Between the .32Gr and 40Gr offerings, I don't think there is an animal coyote size or smaller that it is not good for.

I am lucky enough to have shot and owned all three rounds in great shooting rifles ( 223,22-250,204)
I can in all honesty say I have certainly not killed enough coyotes at ranges over 200 yds to be able to say one is better than the other.Would take a lot of coyotes to come to a conclusive answer on that one.

But I think sometimes we all debate ballistics tables when the reality of field shooting is quite different.

I often hear people compare a 11 inch 300 yd drop of a 223 to a 8 inch drop of a 22-250. ( or whatever calibers) field reality would tell us that thats a 3 inch difference at 300 yds which is one MOA. Lets be honest for the vast majority 1 MOA at 300 yds is at the edge of the capability of most guns in field conditions. And thats not to mention the capability of the shooter. 1 or 2 MOA differences under field conditions are nothing at least in the field conditions I hunt.

I have recently bought a 204 and as a reloader I have to say its a great little round to shoot and cheap to reload.I know it has no problem dropping coyotes beyond 300. Scary flat and rediculously accurate ( Tikka Varmint)

But the simple real world answer to the original post is, you cant go wrong either way. If price is your principal concern buy the one that you can get the best deal in. If you reload, the 204 or 223 will be a cheaper bang ( literally) for the buck and take the money you save on ammo and use it practicing at the range.

good luck and enjoy whatever it is you decide to buy...

All I can say is if we had been using a 22-250 with this coyote he would have dropped in his tracks
He was shot at less than 80 yards 1" to the right of his nose and ran well over 400 yards. And yes I believe had the shot been 1" left and 1" higher it would have been dif

My vote goes to the 22-250 as much as as I like to shoot the 204 until I can find a bullet that will get me some better results

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiHey Eddie,

I am curious, why did you/or whomever shoot him in the face instead of the front chest target?

Was wondering that to.

I still like the 204 just a little shy we are going to be working on some loads and bullets soon so hopefully I can get a better combo? This was with a 39gr blitz king

Not saying anything about the shooter, 'cause I don't know him.

Got me to thinking of a friend who swore up and down that the 17 Rem I loaned him, just wasn't anygood for coyotes. But all he took were head shots, even close broadside oppertunities and he would take a head shot every time. Worse yet, my friend isn't much of a marksman.

I never understood why, either.

This one was hit about 2" behind his heart and about center up and down, double lunged and ran about 300 yards. This was a day or so before the other so maybe he was thinking he would not run with a head shot. Same 204 same bullet (39gr blitz king)

Last edited:
You were there and I wasn't, but that coyote looked to me to have been shoot too far back, maybe 3-4 inches too far and possibly a liver shot.

Back