223 vs 22-250 vs 204

Oh and for what it's worth, I have personally found that the lighter bullet (32gr sierra) moving faster, around 4,300fps, is the ticket for dropping them dead as a hammer. I know that some .204 shooters have reported coyotes running off when shooting the heavier bullets at slower speeds..or even shooting the lighter bullet at slower speeds. But I think the higher velocity produces more shock.. it's just a theory. There is a BIG difference in 3,900fps and 4,300fps when it comes to killing power with all else being equal.

I took all three calibers with me on my van/western trip... even a 243... but I ended up using my 223 all the time... they are all great calibers...

of the 15 dogs I shot with the 223... Fiocchi 40 gr. V Max... they all dropped in their tracks when shot in the front half of the body... and that was from 20-300 yds....

my friend had a 22-243.... now that is a long range killer for sure..

Updating this post... after giving the 204 a real test... I never shot the 223 again. That barrel is in the corner... and that action is now a 20-250AI... between it and my 22-243AI... I'M DONE.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input.

But for what its worth I dont own a .204 anymore had enough of them running off wounded.

Dan Brothers.
I also own a 22-243 and yes it does a nice job on a coyote with a 70g Nosler

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K22
hunter97 said:
It sounds to me like a 17 Rem. with a 25gr. bullet would work better for you.

I'm with K22 on this one.
The 17Rem is THE best "All Around Fur Saving Cartrige" out there.
That's what it was developed for, and that's what it does, period.
No it doesn't have the best balistics, or the most sex apeal, and it can be tricky to load for if you don't know what you're doing, but it flat out works for saving the fur of called predators from Fox to Coyote.
If ya want to shoot em at distance, and/or walk off and leave em then the sky's the limit, but for saving fur you simply can't beat it.

Bozdog.. I do know of some ppl that also say the .204 doesn't do the job on yotes. I think that with factory loads, it may be slightly subpar for yotes out at 200 or more. But what I found was that finding the perfect combo (load, bullet, primer, etc) was the ticket. The guy who builds my rifles for me actually got rid of his 250 and his .223's and kept the .204's. He is the one who talked me in to the .204. I guess each situation is different. For me the 32gr sierra flying fast is what does the job. Btw your avatar is awesome, it is my favorite movie of all time.. "Im your Huckleberry!"

ttyl

I hunt with the 243, 223 and 204 and a buddy that I hunt with uses the 250.. I have found the 250 and 243 make for some screwed up fur most but not all of the time. I use the 243 before the fur is prime just because I love the hammer. I'm not a big fan of the 223 drop and out of my 20" tube the 55 grain bullets are doing around 3k fps, sure the lighter bullets are faster but the pathetic BC cancels out the speed gain. That makes for some ugly balistics. Now for some fun run the chart on a 204 with the high BC that the 39 SBK offers around 3800 FPS. My first kill with my 204 was at 370 yards face on, bang flop without a twitch and thats with the supposedly bad 39 SBK.
I know they will all reach 1000 yards for punching paper no argument there;)
I don't think you can beat the 204, it's as flat as the 250, delivers as much energy to 500, less recoil, as good in the wind and lots less sewing if the shots are on the close side. The only argument the 223 can give is cheap factory amo. If you can reload thats out. If you shoot a bit you'll know that every caliber is a compermise. Sorry for the bad spelling, shoulda stayed in school longer.

T

smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: braddsnBozdog.. I do know of some ppl that also say the .204 doesn't do the job on yotes. I think that with factory loads, it may be slightly subpar for yotes out at 200 or more. But what I found was that finding the perfect combo (load, bullet, primer, etc) was the ticket. The guy who builds my rifles for me actually got rid of his 250 and his .223's and kept the .204's. He is the one who talked me in to the .204. I guess each situation is different. For me the 32gr sierra flying fast is what does the job. Btw your avatar is awesome, it is my favorite movie of all time.. "Im your Huckleberry!"

ttyl
Thanks
Well one day if I have the money I might just pick me up a .204. I only shot factory ammo and now I reload so that always makes it more fun.
But on the same note I stopped shoting a 22-250 for the same reason to many got away. Now I cant say I hit them all perfect or what but I hunt alot of callin contests and the last thing you want to have happen is have your 1st place dog run off wounded right befor dark.
But these days Ive fell in love with the 6mm guns and have not shot a .22 cal or smaller for a few years. they are the only way to go my .243 AI works wonders and NO it is not fur friendly and I dont keep the fur anyway.

I have shot the 223/22-250/243/204 and killed coyotes. On each I have had runners. But out of the 4 I have the 243 and 204 left. I tend to stay with the 204. I think alot is the bullet. Out of the 204, I shoot the 40 Bergers and of yet had a runner, yet.I started staying away from the ballistic tipped bullets, except for the 243 which is the 70 Nosler.

The truth is any one of these will make a great rifle for what you are asking. You can find any amount of ppl that like all 3 of these calibres for what you want to do. I purchased a .204 3 yrs ago and love it. Spend a day with some buddies rifles in these calibres and pick one. Be sure to try a .204. 😉

Hi fordevr,I see from your post that you are a new member. Welcome aboard but you are replying to a 6 year old thread. Good luck with your 204.

The 22 250 chambering is flat out undeniably a better coyote killer. All of this apples to apples comparison makes no sense. Why would you put a yugo engine in a dump truck. 40 grain 22 caliber bullets stink as far as BC. I have no clue why anyone would use 22 caliber 40 grainers on coyotes at extreme distances unless that was all your gun will shoot accurately. If you just jump to the 50 grain pill given your gun will shoot max load accurately the 22-250 will have aprox. 10 percent more energy at 500 yards with average of 17% more across the board from muzzle to 500 yards. 22-250 drop will only be approx 1" more at 500. Calling a comparison of 40's in both the 204 and 22 250 apple to apples is like putting a 4 cylinder engine in a 2500# car and one in a 3500# car that had a v8 expecting the heavier car to win a race. Put the big cube engine back in. With all this said I prefer the Swift with 55's, and the 6mm rem. with 70's and 22-250 with 53's v maxes and nosler 60 bt's. The swift does very well on coyotes hides with 55 v max and Nosler bt's at around 3600 muzzle velocity even at close range. Foxes and bobcats probably won't fair well with any of the above. So back to the OPs question I would go with.204 Ruger if thin skinned critter pelts are a priority. I have had too many runners with good shots on coyotes using the .223. We always recover them but I prefer drt.

Last edited:
What about splitting the difference and having a 20-250 with a 1-8tw barrel built and shoot the 55gr Bergers?! Yeah, I like this idea best.
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: B23What about splitting the difference and having a 20-250 with a 1-8tw barrel built and shoot the 55gr Bergers?! Yeah, I like this idea best.
w00t.gif

Me too... what he said...^^^^

Funny this thread was revived. I'm in this decision mode right now, deciding on which caliber to get a RAP in. Pretty much decided on (what else) 204. The only bummer is they make the krytek camo stock in only 223 and 22-250. Oh well, green 204 it is.

Back