Idiots are Everywhere

If someone comes up on my stand NOT knowing I'm there, I don't consider them to be idiots. It's public land and they have a right to it as much as I do, just the way it goes sometimes. Just make another stand and enjoy the day. If they knowingly , on purpose ruin my stand, that's a totaly different matter. In huntingal's situation I agree with Black Wolf, watch out for this guy!

Sounds like he was glassing for deer. My foxpro has something special for deer hunter that cruises right by my truck and drives right up into my stand. It's called pack of wild coyote going nuts at full volume. Hunt that.

Originally Posted By: getfoxyHighplains..I dont think John Wayne ever said it in a movie. Maybe in an interview, or something like it.

As I pointed to RJM in a PM:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=26553

It seems that John Wayne did NOT say it. If anyone can demonstrate otherwise, I'd like to see the evidence.

The reason I'm such a nitpicker about this sort of thing is because as a conservative right winger I want to give no just cause to my opponents. Therefore, I don't want to go around "quoting" something that was never said. Whenever I read a quote or statement or whatever, I do my best to VERIFY the information before passing it around. It's a habit that's served me well and I learned it, FWIW, as a journalism minor. Too bad today's journalists don't bother to check their facts.

Anyway, back to your discussion.

I'd watch out for the guy, too.

Just a little more info on the "idiot". I know him and his family pretty well and they all fit into the same general "odd" catagory. He was there first, but deffinatly not dressed or geared for hunting. In the city I think he would be considered loitering. I am real sure he didn't know me, although we are both locals, I have a new hunting rig and when dressed for winter calling I am hard to recognize. Also, he didn't follow right behind me, more off to the side about a 100 yards. He more into the "weird idiot" catagory. And he better not try to keep me "warm" or he will know cold Rugar steel where it needs to be.

Originally Posted By: huntingal And he better not try to keep me "warm" or he will know cold Rugar steel where it needs to be.

True Dat!

The neighbor at one of my best deer spots used to come out at 5:30 in the morning stand next to my dads truck with a metal spoon and pot and u can guess what she did.
cursing.gif
She would also send her assistent/butler to tell my dad and I that we cant hunt on the private property we have permission to hunt on. All i can say is they will never try to stop us from hunting there again. We ended the madness 3 years ago
thumbup1.gif

That is one of the main reasons I stay on privet land. I use to have to hunt public land but after living in the same area for 16 years I know just about everyone here.

Stay safe, guys like that need to be watched out for.

Tim

Here in MD it is illegal to intentionally disrupt a lawful hunt. As to the original poster huntingal I dont know if that was the case, but others have posted good examples.
Now, I am NOT the kind to call the law on anyone, but I had a guy roaming the property I hunt with his three loose dogs every morning around 7:30. More than once they ran off deer that were within bowrange when they came through. Then one day he leaves a note on my truck saying Im breaking the law and he had called DNR with my tag#. Sobeit, I wasnt breaking any laws, I was on private property with written permission. He didnt seem to realize he was trespassing AND disrupting a lawful hunt.
So he more or less called the law on himself....Havent seen him since the first week of Nov....

Craig

It's been a while since I've seen the movie but I did a search and this is what I came up with. In Sands of Iwo Jima John Wayne character Sgt. Stryker: Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.

There are idiots everywhere, some are "bunny humpers", some are just plain stupid.
If you felt threatened, you were.(not legal). If he "botched" your hunt on purpose, there are also laws against that.
But if he is just stupid??????????(no laws broken)
Not to be a jerk, but if "stupid" was against the law we would have more jails than schools in this country.

I was out deer hunting public land in Texas once and had me a little tree stand that was on the edge of a little pond. I figured this way, no deer could sneak up and flank me. My wind was right and I had gotten out there before the sun came up and was watching a little doe not fifty feet from me as the sun began to come up. She started to get nervous but kept on hangin around. The next thing Iknew, BOOM, BOOM BANG! Shots were fired right behind me on the opposite side of the pond right towards me and the doe. She runs off, and luckily I was tethered to the tree or I would have tried to run right out of my stand. I look back behind me as the smoke clears and see three duck hunters on the other side of the pond. Ruined my morning hunt, but thats what ya get when you hunt public I guess. I wasn't mad, they never even knew I was there. I just figured set up a little close to a road and a well known duck pond is all. Sure scared me though.

A buddy and I went antelope hunting in 09. We found where we wanted to set up the blind and wait. My buddy suggested I put up a sign at the bottom of the canyon in front of our quads that read "Hunting blind in use". I did that and kept 6 different hunters from entering the canyon until I harvested my antelope. I could have had my stand ruined several time that day, but all were respectful of the situation and backed off. I was happy. Quads were about 3/8 of a mile away and we could watch them from the blind. No harm,no foul. It may be wise to post a sign in a hunting area just for that reason. I've had stands (coyote) fouled on public land also. Public land, What can you do if they don't know.

RTLOF(TONY)

Another version of the "Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." was "This life's hard, man, but it's harder if you're stupid!" This one was in the 1973 movie "The Friends of Eddie Coyle".

I am having a problem with a hunter that wants to hunt the same spot I am hunting. I have been hunting this stand every year for 10-12 years. I am on private property and he is wanting to hunt on the other side of the fence 100 yards away. When he heads for his stand I usually have already been there awhile. Anyway, he gets mad because I am there and walks just out of sight and starts shooting his gun off to run everything off. Worst part is he is actually hunting on a road easement between private property and a waterfowl refuge where hunting is not allowed. He is not supposed to be there. I called the warden; he refused to do anything.

Back