Idiots are Everywhere

Two quick ones.

Story 1) Hunting archery elk season with my old man. Sitting in the same tree stand I've used since I was 11 or 12. Hunting the same area we've hunted since I was a kid. I'm sitting up in my tree minding my own business scanning for elk. I hear a big branch break, my eyes lock in on the trail it's coming from. I hear a hoof thump, then another twig. I see black hooves, leading up to dark brown coming through the trees. I stand, hook on my release, then when the animal nears my shooting lane I draw and wait for it to step out. Lets just say the dumb [beeep] tree hugging hippy sitting on top of his horse riding the elk trails pooped himself right there in the saddle. I told him that I could have accidentally shot him, or even worse his horse! (yes, you read that correctly) He was riding trying to push animals past reserve boundaries.

2)In Yuma AZ. Can't blame em for doin there job, but common, use some sense. Drove past a Border Patrol truck to my first stand of the morning. Newly scouted, hadn't hunted it yet. Me and my partner waved as we went by. I'm driving a Lifted Red Toyota Pickup with WA plates, and an MCAS Yuma Base decal. We park and walk in a ways. After about 10 minutes of calling I hear the low grumble of a diesel. I look back over the small rise to see this guy running my tags. Really? He wasn't to happy to see us coming back to the truck having him outgunned, but the rookie kept his cool and I explained everything.

HuntingGal, sorry to hear about that jerk ruining your set-up. At least you got 1 today! I kinda think along the lines of the others though, you may want to pay extra attention whenever you're out to make sure his intentions are only to ruin your hunting.

Originally Posted By: RTLOF18918B "Hunting blind in use". I'm glad that worked out for ya'll. It's nice to still se some hunters respecting others and giving everyone a chance for success. Me and a friend tried leaving a sign on my truck that read "Coyote Hunting" so border patrol would quit running my plates, but apparently they thought we were literally hunting Illegals, since "Coyote" is a slang term used to describe drug/human smugglers on the border. Guy felt like an idiot when I explained it to him. (this is a separate hunt from the one I already posted) Can't blame them for doing their job though, it's what I get for driving a lifted truck in some of the roughest terrain that is the least secure part of our border.

Originally Posted By: Brian StewartIt's been a while since I've seen the movie but I did a search and this is what I came up with. In Sands of Iwo Jima John Wayne character Sgt. Stryker: Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.

Maybe, but where? So far I have not seen anyone tell us WHERE in "Sands" Wayne said it. I Googled "Sands Iwo Jima script", found a couple of scripts, searched for "life" and "stupid" and came up blank.

I've started a thread on this here so as not to hijack this one anymore:

Did John Wayne Say It?

Originally Posted By: D.R.T. OutdoorsMe and a friend tried leaving a sign on my truck that read "Coyote Hunting" so border patrol would quit running my plates, but apparently they thought we were literally hunting Illegals, since "Coyote" is a slang term used to describe drug/human smugglers on the border.

I put a picture of Canis latrans on my sign.

A friend of mine drew a deer permit for a quota gun hunt on a nearby refuge. He was going to use his new boat, & walk in from the river to hunt. He left his boat tied to a tree in a small bay off of the river. When he came back the rope was still tied to the tree, but his boat was gone. His new boat had sank. The bay wasn't very deep, & they were able to pull the boat back up. The boat sank because the plug was missing. Someone got mad about where he was hunting & took the plug.

We had a game warden out here who was notorious for wrecking hunts. He would watch you from a distance and then when the deer/coyote would be in range he would start walking towards you to check your license and then scare the game away. He is now retired, I hear, so maybe thats gone. He would always find me hunting coyotes- no matter where I was. He knew my vehicle and plate numbers by heart. I could be in the middle of nowhere and he would find me. Always would tell me " I thought your suburban looked familiar." I would show him the license and just pack up and go. I had heard he had a few rounds slung at him a time or two by doing this. Even on private land he would show up.

Originally Posted By: NM_HighPlainsOriginally Posted By: cdatdog As everyone likes quoting The Duke:
"Life is hard, Life is harder when your Stupid".

I'm going to speak up. People who use that quote should spell "you're" correctly. You can misspell everything else for all I care, but it just seems to me that if you're going to throw THAT quote around, you should get it right. Know what I mean? I see it misspelled probably 80% of the time.

Also, I'll give 100 Brownie Points to the person who can identify the movie and scene where John Wayne said this.

Try this site!! http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=26553

Originally Posted By: getfoxyOriginally Posted By: NdIndyGood thing you caught him.

You wuz gonna get raped boy!

Tha boys a girl lol.

See what happens when I only skim a post
laugh.gif

Seems to me, YOU were in the wrong in both of these. Let me explain:

1. I am assuming you were on public land? If you werent then nevermind this.... What gives you the right to assume he is a "idiot" or tree hugger for riding his horse? A trail is a trail and is easier for a horse to walk on.

2. Really? Youre mad that an agent, whos job is to protect our borders ran your out of state tags? Quite a bit of smuggling is done by out of state license plates.... If you care to knowhow I know this, PM me.

Originally Posted By: pasturepupWe had a game warden out here who was notorious for wrecking hunts. He would watch you from a distance and then when the deer/coyote would be in range he would start walking towards you to check your license and then scare the game away. He is now retired, I hear, so maybe thats gone. He would always find me hunting coyotes- no matter where I was. He knew my vehicle and plate numbers by heart. I could be in the middle of nowhere and he would find me. Always would tell me " I thought your suburban looked familiar." I would show him the license and just pack up and go. I had heard he had a few rounds slung at him a time or two by doing this. Even on private land he would show up. Had a possum cop like that in our area for a time . We would give him time to get home , eat supper , and just get to sleeping good and then call him out over 'poachers'night shootin on our farms .
Guess we just wore him out ..... he went away ......

I sometimes think some guys feel more comfortable harassing a lady while she is hunting. My wife has been bothered at least twice that I can remember while tree stand hunting for deer. I have never been bothered. Some guys are just cowards, but they can be dangerous. Keep that rifle between him and you. Im glad you got at least one good stand in but as was said earlier when you don't get many chances its a bummer when someone messes with you. I hope this is the last bad experience you have.

Originally Posted By: D.R.T. OutdoorsTwo quick ones.

Story 1) Hunting archery elk season with my old man. Sitting in the same tree stand I've used since I was 11 or 12. Hunting the same area we've hunted since I was a kid. I'm sitting up in my tree minding my own business scanning for elk. I hear a big branch break, my eyes lock in on the trail it's coming from. I hear a hoof thump, then another twig. I see black hooves, leading up to dark brown coming through the trees. I stand, hook on my release, then when the animal nears my shooting lane I draw and wait for it to step out. Lets just say the dumb [beeep] tree hugging hippy sitting on top of his horse riding the elk trails pooped himself right there in the saddle. I told him that I could have accidentally shot him, or even worse his horse! (yes, you read that correctly) He was riding trying to push animals past reserve boundaries.

The tree huggin hippy is within his rights. You need to review safety fundamentals and thank god you weren't the title of this thread.

Originally Posted By: D.R.T. Outdoors
2)In Yuma AZ. Can't blame em for doin there job, but common, use some sense. Drove past a Border Patrol truck to my first stand of the morning. Newly scouted, hadn't hunted it yet. Me and my partner waved as we went by. I'm driving a Lifted Red Toyota Pickup with WA plates, and an MCAS Yuma Base decal. We park and walk in a ways. After about 10 minutes of calling I hear the low grumble of a diesel. I look back over the small rise to see this guy running my tags. Really? He wasn't to happy to see us coming back to the truck having him outgunned, but the rookie kept his cool and I explained everything.

Our border patrol have plenty of common sense. Don't pretend to know how to do their job. And we won't tell you how to be Marine. I hunt Tucson sector all the time and Border Patrol have been welcome everytime I see them.

It is sad to read about all the bad experiences above.
I have had my share of them also.

The population of the US has grown very fast and land to hunt has diminished because of this.

Law enforcement officers are no different than the average of the population. Many are common sense knowledgeable public servants, but some are not knowledgeable or sympathetic to the duty entrusted to them.

Because of the higher probability of encountering other hunters or hunt spoilers, I try to keep this in mind anywhere I go. I give a considerable thought to planning my outings as to attempt to lower the chances of having a spoiled outing. If you go on public land, expect to be disturbed and go to plan B. Be prepared mentally. With so many people out enjoying the freedom of public land it is inevitable that you will encounter them.

Things have changed a bunch in my life. I try to adapt. Make the most of it. You can't change stupid.

A few years ago in central FL there was a man stalking and shooting hunters. I don't go out unarmed anymore.

We only get one life, enjoy it. Don't let the rough parts chew on you too long.

Up here in the Sierras, I have to be very carefull where I hunt for yotes. Since they are open year round, I hunt year round when I get the chance and hikers, cross country skiers and snow shoers are everywhere. You would think that the calling sounds you were making would keep him away. He was probly curious and wanted to either see what was making the noise or wanted to watch you hunt. Either way, he should not have walked up on you like he did. I am srue he heard your calls. My own little story.....I scouted for three weeks prior to opening day of deer season a few years back. Had three legal bucks scouted and made my camp two days prior to opening day, climbed into my spot at 0300 and waited.....fell asleep for a slight spell as was woke up by some hunter in a big ole, white 4X4 at 0530 as he pushed his way up a old, unused logging road and parked his rig right on the intersection of my deer highway. @$#%#$$# I was pretty upset.....to say the least. No matter where ya go, there they are.....

Last edited:
This was while bow hunting elk in wyoming a couple of years ago. I had to have been 2 or 3 miles from any accessable road. I was just slowly moving through the trees when i heard that same thing, like a bucksnort. I just sat down next to a tree and lone behold here comes another hunter. Very uncommon for this particular area. I sat next to the tree for the next 15 minutes while this guy attempted to (sneak would be an understatement) travel through the trees. He was hacking and coughing his whole way thru, breaking twigs and breathing like he just ran a marathon. But here is the kicker. He was wearing a bright red shiny bowling jacket. You know the ones that have your name on them. Needless to say he walked within 40 yards of me and never knew i was there. Thanks Buddy! I bet he got a big one!

Originally Posted By: AZcayoteOriginally Posted By: D.R.T. OutdoorsTwo quick ones.

The tree huggin hippy is within his rights. You need to review safety fundamentals and thank god you weren't the title of this thread.

Originally Posted By: D.R.T. Outdoors

Our border patrol have plenty of common sense. Don't pretend to know how to do their job. And we won't tell you how to be Marine. I hunt Tucson sector all the time and Border Patrol have been welcome everytime I see them.

Travis, great post!

Last time I checked, you arent supposed to draw your weapon/take aim until you are sure of your target and beyond correct?

DRT, you are correct idiots ARE everywhere.....

Back