243 vs 243AI...

Originally Posted By: podunkcowboy AI= PITA for little or no reason IMHO. The game arent gonna know they were shot with an AI so it doesnt have the same affect as telling your buddies how cool it is. 100 to 150 fps is a negligible increase in velocity.... Hey guys whats better .270 or 30-06
smile.gif

Yeah, I agree. The fact that I don't have to trim my brass anymore sure bugs me, so does the fact that I can drive a 105 grain bullet out at 3300fps and get less wind drift and a flatter trajectory. And for some reason it ticks me off when I'm forming brass while working up a load or shooting rockchucks,squirrels, and rabbits and I accidently leave the safety on
smile.gif

Oh to answer your question, 30-06....

Ackley Improved.

If ones so adamant about a 105 grain bullet at 3300 why not a 110 at 3400+......... out of a .270 win Just saying that the AI cartridges are strictly a matter of opinion as to whether theyre really any better on game. To get that velocity increase you can usually find another cartridge that will do the same thing with non improved rounds. All opinions.

I'm not going to be using my .243 AI for large game, I have a .280 AI for that. I can get my 105 Amax out the door at 3300, with a better B.C than most all production line .277 reloading bullets (the 150 berger has a better B.C), which allows for flatter trajectories and less winddrift. That Amax will pick a rockchuck up at well over 500 yards, and it is easier on your shoulder. For long range varmints, a .243/.243 AI in a short action is hard to beat, with anything. Now if you don't care about the explosion, go ahead and shoot them with VLD bullets, it will kill them, but it will also pencil through. For me it's not a matter of how it performs on game, shooting the same bullet with a .243 and a .243 AI, the chuck is going to be just is dead. But with my .243 AI, I will have less wind drift and trajectory, which will make me have a better probability of scoring a first round hit. It will also make me look like a better shooter, even if I'm not
wink.gif
It is all a matter of opinion. For game though, a .270 is great. Jack O'Conner used it without any problems for a long long time, just not my first (or second) choice for varmints.

I agree that the A Max has a higher BC, just stating that the AI difference is often negligible. Im sure that load hits varmints like thors hammer. It is a great thing that there are enough cartridges out there for us to even be having this debate

My point exactly Tim. Thats where I felt this thread was going. One stating his boring opinion followed by the next ignoring then stating his. Hunt with what you want, defend it to nobody.

Last edited:
With all the talk about the 243ai I was wondering if there was any reason you could not do a 243ai in an ar 10 platform. I am always looking for something different to do. Thanks for any imput.

The "cool" factor is enough reason for some people.

The same reason some stay away from the 30-06.

The 30-06 is plain vanilla.

The 30-06 AI is plain vanilla with sprinkles on top.

I have 2 243's but no 243AI's but from what all has been said when I go to re-barrel either one I will go with the AI just for the reason that of getting more firings per case from the AI.

I will only go about 5 firings with the 243 Win. SO if I can double the amount of firings per case by going AI so much the better.

DAB

I'm in the 6x284 club. When you FF standard into AI your not getting great accuracy nor velocity of the standard and your cutting into BBL. With my 6x284 I buy 6.5 x284 brass run it into a FL sizer and I'm ready. I can easily push 70grs to 4100 FPS with Re#17. So I burn a few extra grains of fuel. I don't lose any sleep over it..... Tomorrow I'm taking mine out into the NV desert . Hope I can get a coyote to volunteer ?

Originally Posted By: ironworker When you FF standard into AI your not getting great accuracy nor velocity of the standard and your cutting into BBL.

Absolutely wrong. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: ironworker When you FF standard into AI your not getting great accuracy nor velocity of the standard and your cutting into BBL.

I realize this means the end of the world is at hand, but I have to agree with Ackman. Where are you seeing barrel cutting? Are you trying to say that you are cutting into the life of the barrel? I have fire formed many AI cartridges while shooting P-dogs and found the accuracy to be acceptable. The velocity is also pretty good.
John

Originally Posted By: AckmanOriginally Posted By: ironworker When you FF standard into AI your not getting great accuracy nor velocity of the standard and your cutting into BBL.

ditto, I bet he has had a lot of AI's...
rolleyes.gif

Agree completely. If anything the increased shoulder angle of the AI chambering, will increase barrel life, from everything that I have ever read. The escaping gases seem to be less of a flame thrower in a steep shouldered case and throat erosion is lessened. This what I have heard from others that are far more knowledgeable about this than me.
There does seem to be a correlation though and those that swear by the Ackley wildcats seem to believe it, along with the obvious benefits of little to no need to trim cases vs standard rounds. The extra horsepower is not a very good reason to go with an Ackley, as it is less than 10% improvement in most of the Ackley's that I am familiar with and have owned.

Originally Posted By: justin10mmOriginally Posted By: MichCoyoteHunterThe .270 kicks the .30-06's [beeep]!

Here we go again.

But I do agree with you.

If you want to go down that road then the 280 owns both of them...

Back