243 vs 243AI...

Originally Posted By: justin10mmAny reason the barrel looks short and thin?

Probably because it's a light sporter weight gun. You think?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunOriginally Posted By: SuperSeal110Originally Posted By: justin10mmAny reason the barrel looks short and thin?

Lighter the better. Shoots fine out to 1k.

You know light barrels don't shoot Mike. You need a heavy barrel, at least 26" long.........grins

And it's got to be a "Cow" barrel not a "Bull" barrel. NOONE agrees with that.

Chupa

Ken,

I know, who's leg am I'm pulling? Bull/cow barrels, I forgot.

My digital reloading scale is down, but I could prolly throw some together from the powder drop. I'll ask the g/f if she wants to shoot that match this evening. I'll PM tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the match.

I run a 8 twist Rock on my 243, using 105gr amax. When I rebarrel again, will be the same.

DSC00704.jpg

Have had a couple 243s but no AI's. Have wanted one at one time or another though.

I just really begin to ask myself the same thing. As much as a guy likes to shoot, is it worth the expense and hassle to AI a 243 when the barrels gonna be shot out in a couple years anyways?

I"ve heard the throat life on 243 AI"s are not very good. Someone shoots 1000 rounds a year out of it, which is very very easy to do, not even 100 rounds a month, then yoru going to be looking at a rebarrel every year or close to it.

Guess you pay the price for performance though, theres no way aroudn that in anything.

Kyote, I had my Douglas barrel on for about 1400 rounds maybe, and it stopped shooting well, so I sent it off for a rebarrel with a Krieger. When my gunsmith borescoped it, he found that the lands at the crown had worn unevenly and the throat was in fairly good shape for how many rounds I had down it. He told me that with a crowning job and maybe a touch up on the throat that I could get another 1000 rounds out of it. I was cleaning it a lot and rarely did the barrel get hot. I was also shooting a mild load. Anyway, if you take care of your barrel it should last 2000 rounds I would think.

I've had a 243, 6mm, 6AI, and 2 243 WSSM's. If i were building another rifle in 24 cal. i'd go with a fast twist 6mm Super LR. right here-- www.6mmar.com No fireforming required.

I'd twist it like Fred does for the 115/117's. The longer neck would allow me to shoot the 105's if i had too.

Be kinda' fun to see what happens to a 500-yd. coyote when it's hit by an 87 V-Max spun out of a 7.5 twist barrel also.

I have a friend having a 6mm Super LR built (I believe by Fred). He's suppposed to have it by some time in August. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Back