NYS Coyote Hunters

Tired to get out this afternoon....what a laugh. Went to some NYC land 10 minutes north of the house. It's a thick patch of pines with some really heavy cover about 200 yards off the road. I had to crawl over the snow bank to get off the road. Made it 100 yards...maybe and turned around and came back to the truck. Wow!!! Coyotes are safe from me for a while. You manly men can have at them. LOL

Tried to get out this afternoon....what a laugh. Went to some NYC land 10 minutes north of the house. It's a thick patch of pines with some really heavy cover about 200 yards off the road. I had to crawl over the snow bank to get off the road. Made it 100 yards...maybe and turned around and came back to the truck. Wow!!! Coyotes are safe from me for a while. You manly men can have at them. LOL

Freebm-

Sounds like you had a workout at least! I plan on giving them a try tomorrow afternoon or tomorrow night if the wind will die down a little. I actually think I'm going to go up to my one spots where we had to walk way up the mountain...I am hoping those dogs will be in those thick brush lots with all of those deer and rabbits...if not I'm going to have one heck of a workout! I'll let you know how I make out...

Last edited:
Strapped the old snow shoes on and went back into a swamp. Nothing showed but the conditions were not that great. Snow was melting and falling in heavy clumps everywhere. I think it'll take a couple of days for things to dry out and the snow settles a bit before it becomes huntable again. Freebm I feel your pain, check out the snow banks around here to climb over. I think I'm hunting up in Kingston were they didn't get any snow.
0227101140a.jpg

Yote28, good luck!!! Better make sure you have your 'life alert" on. "Help, I've fallen and can't get up" LOL That's one heck of walk but I think you'll do well back there. That is some of the best cover I've seen. We should've had at least one coyote come in up there last week.

Razor, that looks like where I was. I figured once I got into the pines a bit it would be okay.....nope it wasn't. I'm not that old, but I can tell you that I thought I was going to die by the time I got back to the vehicle. Gonna grab some snow shoes and try again today. BUT... I'm going in on the snowmobile trails.

Last edited:
24524_1136397349855_1824997645_284560_3886010_n.jpg

I live just north of Kingston and we got only 4" of snow for the whole storm! the temp was warm and rain mixed in to limit any accumulating snow. I drive South 10Min to the Stone Ridge/Accord areas and there is 36" of heavy wet snow.

This is the first time we have had a significant snow cover this year and i thought the yotes might be hungry after the storm.

Sunday afternoon i KILL myself and hike 1/2 mile back to my spot in Accord thru Knee high snow. I set up and am now so overheated my glasses are fogged and i am dripping sweat. Tried to cool of for 10 min before starting the set then begin with snowshoe #2 for 10 min from my spitfire placed 50y upwind of me looking across a small brook within the treeline behind a 50 acre overgrown field. After the 10 min of snowshoe #2 i start with Female Long invitation howls and mix in a couple fem bark/howls, and out comes a dog from the Hemlocks 100y away within a couple min. I continue the caller with the Fem Inv and coax the dog into 40yards and drop her with the .243. Instantly i go to pup yips and out comes a second within seconds running in from where the first appeared. I allow the dog to approach to about 100y and he then starts gaining speed towards my downwind side so i shoot at first clear opening thru the brushy forest floor. Miss...! Caller keeps running and the yote is wandering around still looking for his partner and the source of calls and shots. At this time i am off my stool laying in snow behind a 12" dia maple playing cat and mouse with the 2nd dog. Looking for an opening for a second shot, 5 min pass and i finally lose site of dog and the hunt is over.

I live about 10 min outside of Pine Bush and do most of my hunting in that area. I guess it is just like any other part of southern NY. There is alot of human pressure on the yotes, and they are shy as [beeep].....

i guess i should say the pine bush preserve near albany. i know you can hunt small game with a shotgun but just curious if anyone hunted coyotes there.

way to go Predator !..Some tough conditions out there ! I just got in from another hazing session of about 1.5 to 2miles of knee deep slush . cut a few tracks but nothing crazy

Razor ,I was about to give you a call to see how it was up your way ..the picture explains it all! I think Kingston is going to triple in predator hunter population , because I also heard they didn't get a flake.

rimral - there are a bunch of rules to hunt the Albany Pine Bush & Preserve - make sure you check them out online first. A lot of the areas are archery only and some are no hunting at all. I always wanted to try bow hunting over next to the landfill because I heard from someone who works at the landfill that they see plenty of yotes. Will try to make it out to look for tracks once the snow settles.

There are a few big powerlines that run through the shotgun area that may be a good bet. It's a shame to have to say it, but remember that you are fairly close to houses no matter where you are in the Pine Bush, and there are hiking trails through most of it too. It's rather amazing that hunting is even allowed, but it seems that they even support legal hunting as a means of sound game management - good for them!

Keep your eye out for nice antler sheds if you go in - there are some nice bucks in certain areas. Also, be extra alert for ticks if you are in when the weather is less snowy - lots and lots of ticks in there.

Good luck.

erict - thanks for the info.. my backyard borders the pine bush, believe me i know about ticks and mosquitoes. my dog every once in a while goes crazy in the middle of the night because the yotes are howling. i have a really smart red fox that has been harassing us come to the house all the time. i just started to bow hunt because for the past 4 years i have had two nice bucks coming to the back fence all season long. now i have the bow and the bucks have stopped coming, also i am seeing more and more deer legs from fresh kills while walking through the woods. i havent seen any yotes back there but i know they are. anyway thanks for the response and the info.

I was psyched! She would not come out of brush for a bout 2 minutes, but a little Earnie Wilson lip squeak through the Fury brought her about 5 yards out. That was good enough for me and the .223 was true again.

BTW... It took me 45 minutes to carry her back to my truck! I was way back!

very nice bhw ! looks like it's pretty well furred for this late . How's the snow your way ? heading to work this morning there was a hard crust to walk on in Orange .

Back