223 for deer

To me, bullet and shot placement are far more important than headstamp. Put a TSX in the vitals and you'll have venison in the freezer.

Most of the kids in my hunters education classes shoot 223's for deer and they seem to be quite fruitful. My son uses one, father, mother and my cousin took a huge+33" mulie with a triple duece.

I have not tried the TSX bullets though, we just use 55gr SP's or 60gr partitions. My son took a 300+yd mulie doe with a 223 and 75gr A-max. She only stumbled 50 feet before falling. He was only 12 years old and I made the adjustments on the scope for him.

Nothing wrong with a 223 for deer.

I shot one with a 70 grain barnes this year it went through the side, through the lungs then out the shoulder on the other side. I passed up a few shots thou waiting for the right opportunity. It was a large midwest doe.

I run the 62TSX, though not in an AR, in my 223AI boltguns. The TSX will dig deep and hold together. I'm a shoulder shooter and they don't go anywhere, I've yet to recover a bullet either. The farthest ranges I've shot deer with that combo has been out to 250yds. Good luck!!!

I made a shot on a big Idaho ten point whitie with my 22-250 "I know its not the .223 but same bullet :)" and it blew threw ribs going in and a shoulder going out. We ranged him at just over 400 hundred yrds so I think your .223 shouldn't have any problem...that is if the shot placement is good.

In most instances, you will hear "for the 223, it can be done if your shot placement is good".

Its been my experience that shot placement is a factor no matter what gun your using. Going with a larger caliber gives no excuses for poor shot placement.

On deer, any well designed .224 bullet will travel through the shoulder bone and tear up vitals and the 60gr partition will also travel through a second shoulder too in my experience.

I like this because i just bought some barnes 53 grn TSX HP to try out. i would extremely fun to hunt with the .223 i'm surprised i haven't read any bad stories about the caliber, just shot placement.

Originally Posted By: yoteblasterI shot one with a 70 grain barnes this year it went through the side, through the lungs then out the shoulder on the other side. I passed up a few shots thou waiting for the right opportunity. It was a large midwest doe.

looking forward to trying these 70 tsx's

this was a whitetail my son had killed last year with a .223 55 grain soft point.

100_0497.jpg

I have had good luck with the 55 gr Sierra Gameking HP...we have killed alot of hogs and deer with this bullet.I load a bunch for friends kiddos and they do good with them. A .224 diameter bullet will surprise you..my niece killed her first deer with a 218Bee and a 45 grain Sierra Hornet bullet...she hit it high in the front shoulder at 100 yds and it dropped in its tracks...the bullet even exited...surprised me. Robbie

Originally Posted By: Outlawkyote
In most instances, you will hear "for the 223, it can be done if your shot placement is good".

Its been my experience that shot placement is a factor no matter what gun your using. Going with a larger caliber gives no excuses for poor shot placement.

On deer, any well designed .224 bullet will travel through the shoulder bone and tear up vitals and the 60gr partition will also travel through a second shoulder too in my experience.

Yep. The point for me is, most everyone can shoot a .223 well, but not everyone can shoot a .300 Wizzbanger well. I'd take a 53gr TSX in the boiler room over a 180gr TSX in the azz any day of the week, but I'm funny like that.

are you sure your gonna get that broadside doe at 100 yards? if so then go with a 223.
No problem.

But what if it is that buck of a lifetime at 200+ yards and he is giving you a quartering towards shot...LOTS of shoulder and frontal chest facing you. And its 5 mins till last light and its about to rain ( i know, lots of 'what ifs...'). Oh and the property just 20 yards from him , on the other side of the fence is a PETA encampment that absolutely forbids hunters from recovering deer on their hippie enclave.

What then?
Me I'll take the deal sealer............270, 30/06 or 7mm Rem Mag with a premium bullet and he will go lights out as if you yanked a breaker in the basement.

Just my 2 cents.

i've seen 3 deer harvested w/ .223, i've took a good buck at 371yrds. w/ .22-250,quarter towards, threw the base of neck, into cavity, exit behind shoulder, DONE! 55gr. nosler ballistic tip.

ohio hunter, did you not read where i'm from, here in ky those kind of people are scared to come around lol! guess they watched deliverance!! and far as game laws we can use any centerfire rifle, but i don't think my 204 is exactly up for the job. You have to draw the line somewhere i guess

Last edited:
Doe 12/26/2009
Remington 700 .223 55gr Winchester Ballistic Silvertip
Not my first choice for deer, but my rifle likes it and the coyotes (11/28/2009) hate it......

DoeShelby122609.jpg

coyote112809.jpg

Originally Posted By: Urimaginaryfrnd.223 will kill deer reliably out to at least 200 yds but most states it is not legal - check your game laws.

I know some states will let you use a .223 but in Wyoming the bullet must exceed .23 caliber for big game, so none of your .22's are legal. Make sure you check your local laws.

I loaded some 65gr GameKings to use on coyotes but also wanted to try them out on a doe with the AR. I let a big doe walk by at 30 yards but didn't take the shot because it was still early morning. It hadn't been 5 minutes when I heard a twig snap and an 8-pointer walked out on the same track as the doe. Since he was close I didn't hesitate and put the crosshair on his neck and fired. He hit the ground and kicked a couple times, no tracking required.
That little bullet performed great.

Back