223 for deer

There is an article in AR hunting about a guy taking deer with a .223 at out to 600yds. Granted he has developed special rigs(and sells them) for accuracy at that range. Wouldn't try past 100yds myself, but if the force is with you and you can bend the bullet then go for it.....

Originally Posted By: SalemDawgerA .223 is not as good on deer as a .243 is on elk! Just kidding.
Yea but I've killed deer, elk, bear, and lions with my .22lr at 200-500yds. .223 is overkill for anything but elephants and blue whales.

Yes they will. First is this years buck-one shot bam flop at 70 yards. Second is last years button buck-one shot at 45 yards. The bullet used was the 64g Win PP. Both shots gave complete penetration. TnTnTn

1031091741b-1.jpg

9-08to10-08170.jpg

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnYes they will. First is this years buck-one shot bam flop at 70 yards. Second is last years button buck-one shot at 45 yards. The bullet used was the 64g Win PP. Both shots gave complete penetration. TnTnTn

1031091741b-1.jpg

9-08to10-08170.jpg

GO VOLS BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Ohio_Hunterare you sure your gonna get that broadside doe at 100 yards? if so then go with a 223.
No problem.

But what if it is that buck of a lifetime at 200+ yards and he is giving you a quartering towards shot...LOTS of shoulder and frontal chest facing you. And its 5 mins till last light and its about to rain ( i know, lots of 'what ifs...'). Oh and the property just 20 yards from him , on the other side of the fence is a PETA encampment that absolutely forbids hunters from recovering deer on their hippie enclave.

What then?
Me I'll take the deal sealer............270, 30/06 or 7mm Rem Mag with a premium bullet and he will go lights out as if you yanked a breaker in the basement.

Just my 2 cents.

I'd pull the trigger every dang time . If you can't make the shot with any cal ,DON'T DO IT !!

Man, you guys are gonna wake up the Deer Police then we'll all be in trouble. LOL .223 not my first choice for the wily whitetail but if it's what I've got and a 200+ pounder happens along I'm not gonna let him slide by.

Originally Posted By: shanedoggi've seen 3 deer harvested w/ .223, i've took a good buck at 371yrds. w/ .22-250,quarter towards, threw the base of neck, into cavity, exit behind shoulder, DONE! 55gr. nosler ballistic tip.
I took an antelope with the exact same round, and so did my wife. Both were bang / flop. I had her shoot a few different rifles, and she was the best the .22-250 so that's what we packed. Where I live in MN I would LOVE to be able to hunt deer with a .223, but I am in a shotgun only zone. I kill them with sticks and strings so having a .223 would be like having a howitzer compared to what I am used to using for most of the season.

Originally Posted By: kycountryboy i don't think my 204 is exactly up for the job. You have to draw the line somewhere i guess
Why not, a 40gr bullet out of the 204 delivers nearly the same energy as the 55gr out of a 223, that many are claiming wonderfull results with.

I've take a few deer with the .223 and the furthest was about 380yds. All one shot kills and traveled less then 50yds after getting hit.

I took this 9pt this year with my .223ai bolt gun with 75g Swifts. Blew half the heart off and turned the lungs into mush.

Deer traveled less then 40yds.

DSCI0017.jpg

Lot of people get wrapped up in "energy" thing. How about the energy a compound bow produces??? Do a little research & you will be surprised & we all know how many deer are killed with a sting each year. Should we start a thread about how unethical it is too bow hunt? I mean... they always run off with a bow right? We shouldn't dream of bow hunting & trying to cause such a grotesque murder. Stop the madness!

Seriously, all that is needed to kill deer is to poke a whole in something he needs (somewhere in that pie-plate area we aim at with a bow), weather it be with a bullet, blade, flint rock, or sharp stick, they will expire. A 223 with decently constructed bullet will do that every time. No theory here, just truckloads of NC whitetails piled with a 223 & similar.

I shoot deer with a 223 but I think the issue is if you don't get a pass through you might not get much of a blood trail. That also happens with bow at times and it can be a bugger to track.

I'll have to agree about bullet selection with a 223 and deer. A ballistic tip or HP round is not a good choice for pass-thrus on deer. A good SP should do the job.

Originally Posted By: coleridgeLot of people get wrapped up in "energy" thing. How about the energy a compound bow produces??? Do a little research & you will be surprised & we all know how many deer are killed with a sting each year. Should we start a thread about how unethical it is too bow hunt? I mean... they always run off with a bow right? We shouldn't dream of bow hunting & trying to cause such a grotesque murder. Stop the madness!

Seriously, all that is needed to kill deer is to poke a whole in something he needs (somewhere in that pie-plate area we aim at with a bow), weather it be with a bullet, blade, flint rock, or sharp stick, they will expire. A 223 with decently constructed bullet will do that every time. No theory here, just truckloads of NC whitetails piled with a 223 & similar.

A bow doesn't kill with the "energy shock" it kills by the hemoraging caused by the broadhead. However, if you want to shoot a 70# compound and a .223 or even 30/06 into a bag of sand the bow will out penetrate every single time.

CC

Originally Posted By: customcutter
[/quote

A bow doesn't kill with the "energy shock" it kills by the hemoraging caused by the broadhead. However, if you want to shoot a 70# compound and a .223 or even 30/06 into a bag of sand the bow will out penetrate every single time.

CC

That right there is valuable information for you sand bag hunter types.
thumbup1.gif
lol.gif

Believe it or not I've seen quite a number of things bleed profusely (hemorrhage) when being hit with a bullet. I've seen some that never leaked a drop either.

Here's another piece of very valuable info that Uncle Doggin would like to share on this very first day of 2010.

Always make sure the ole johnson is tucked away safely back in the nest before pulling the zipper back up.
tt2.gif

Never mind me. I'm just one of the *Deer Police* still in training. HaPpY nEw YeAr

In my opinion .223 is a little light for deer. I would agree that it will kill a deer. I just wouldn't use it when there much better rounds to use. I don't care much for the Barnes TSX. I have had them not open. I sent some of them back to Barnes, and they replaced them saying it was a QC problem. That was nice on their part, but the point was it didn't open.

Back