223 for deer

Originally Posted By: BCronkOriginally Posted By: kycountryboy i don't think my 204 is exactly up for the job. You have to draw the line somewhere i guess
Why not, a 40gr bullet out of the 204 delivers nearly the same energy as the 55gr out of a 223, that many are claiming wonderfull results with.

If Barnes made a .204 TSX, you can bet your boots I'd use my TAC .20 for deer!...

Originally Posted By: coleridgeLot of people get wrapped up in "energy" thing. How about the energy a compound bow produces??? Do a little research & you will be surprised & we all know how many deer are killed with a sting each year. Should we start a thread about how unethical it is too bow hunt? I mean... they always run off with a bow right? We shouldn't dream of bow hunting & trying to cause such a grotesque murder. Stop the madness!

Actually they run off less, and if they do they don't make it as far. The stealth of a bowhunter puts less adrenaline in a dead-on-its-feet deer, and that makes for a deer that doesn't run as far and it also makes better table fare. Less hormones in the muscles (meat) means a better tasting animal, and less adrenaline means the animal is going to drop faster. Last deer I shot was 23yds away, shooting a compound with spitfires @62lbs. Heavy quartering away, he jumped at the arrow hitting the ground on the other side after a complete pass through. Looked around, confused about the sound, for about 15 seconds. Wobbled off about 30yds and was done for. Sure, a .338 Lapua through the shoulder would've put him down on the spot, but a .223 with a good shot and the perfect bullet would too. Place your priorities on bullet and practice.

M wife and girls have been hunting deer for many years with a .223 loaded with 55 grain coreloc and 55 grain balistic tips. You do your job and put the bullet in the vitals and down they go. They are easy to shoot well because there is next to no recoil and the girls are not afraid to pull the trigger. I would much rather they have the confidence to put the bullet where it goes than make a marginal hit with a larger caliber because they jerked off from fear of recoil. JMHO
smile.gif

Back