Swedes who wanna hunt 'yotes

Rahkola

We are 4 hunters from the north of Sweden who wanna hunt predators (coyote, bobcat, grey-&redfox). We´re exprienced with calling the redfox here back home.

So I got some few questions to start with.
1.When is the best time of the year to hunt these animals? We thought somewhere November-February?
2.Are the regulations diffrent in every state?
3.We thought about going to Montana, Arizona or Wyoming, which would you recommend?
4.Is it possible to lend/rent rifles? We rather not travel to the states with our own rifles, because of the customs and all the paperwork.

Hope someone can help us with these questions to start with.
/Magnus

Magnus,

November through February is a great time for calling in the US, especially if fur is collected. January and February can get a bit challenging for coyotes, as the breeding season is in force in most states. Most states are pretty protective with their bobcat and fox, as they are considered "fur bearers" in most states. Specific seasons, expensive fur harvester licenses, etc... Laws around coyotes are generally more relaxed.

It's possible to rent/lend rifles. I lend guns to my clients, when needed. If you guys are going to be a self hunt, without an outfitter/guide, then you'd have to lean hard on building strong friendships with guys (on this board for example) that would lend you their rifles and point you in the direction of some productive public access land.

You could talk with Fredrik (Lenneskog) on this board. He's from Sweden and I believe he came to the US and Canada to hunt coyotes, last year or so. I'm going off of my memory and pretty sure he made that trip. If it wasn't him, then member Redfrog would know which Swedish member it was.

Hope this is a start of your help. Alot of great guys here to give information.

Welcome to Predator Masters!

Tony

i'm sure there are plenty of members thet would borrow out some rifles(me included) to some trusty worthy fellas. as for the animals you requested about, i think texas wound be your best bet although you may have to pay for land access. good luck

Welcome to Predator Masters.

This could be a near perfect solution for you and your friends,

Click this link

Predator Masters hunt/Convention

It is January, in New Mexico, Lots of predator hunters together. All levels of experience and finding someone to hunt with or borrow a firearm won't be much of an issue.

Thank you all!

We would like to go when the fur is in best shape, so that sounds good. We hope to get in touch with a furbuyer while we´re there.

We DON´T wanna be stuck with some guide for 3 weeks, just get in contact with someone who can show us around, maybe come and hunt with us and maybe help us lend rifles and rent a room.

Are you hunting on federal land? Or is it called public access land? I could imagine that it is the easiest way the to get access to some big areas.

Are there qoutas on bobcat and fox in some states?

Thanks!
/Magnus

Magnus, I too would encourage you to attend the hunt Redfrog mentioned if it fits into your plans. There will be lots of experienced hunters there. New Mexico has a lot of public land, federally and state-owned that is open to predator hunting depending on one's license and the open seasons. Most of us US gun-nuts have more than one coyote rifle, and assuming a bit of an opportunity to get to know, could lend rifles.

Unfortunately, NM considers bobcats and foxes as furbearers and requires a license, which is quite expensive for non-residents (US$300 or so). Coyotes are non-game animals and can be hunted for a nominal fee.

Check out the link Redfrog provided, all the information you need about hunting in NM is provided there. If you have any specific questions, post on that thread or feel free to send me a PM. I'm always open to talk coyote calling.

Good luck, I'd like to see more overseas hunters come to the US!

Rahkola i forgot to mention the PM hunt in my pm to you but thats a really good oppurtunity to meet up with some of the nations best predator hunters. It was Ulf (Articfox) who headed over there to hunt (Tony you dont think i´d cross the pond and not stop by your place for a cup of coffee
smile.gif
)
Im to afraid to go over as i might not go back to my foxes after getting my cross on "Wiley"
smile.gif

I would also have to spend at least a couple of months over there to be able to visit all the guys i´ve come to know on the forums for a cup of coffee LOL!

Good luck on you trip Rahkola!

///Fredrik

If you forget about the bobcats several western states will let you shoot all the coyotes, foxes, badgers, and raccoons you want. Bobcats require additional licenses, limits or quotas, as well as other regulations in most states...with Texas being the exception.

Well as most of the guys said here the PM hunt should be a good one. I would also recomend TEXAS as well for the main reason of "quota what quota"? Here you can get a permit for how ever long you are huntin and take as many critters as your heart desires. (or as many as you can call in).I am not sure how much the permit is but I think it is bout $17 or if all else fails just get the license for $48. You can find plenty of public land or pay to hunt on some private. The price varies, but you got to love a state that doesn't hold that whole "fur bearer" crap over your head. Oh yeah and as far as season is concerned....What season you can hunt them suckers when ever you want. You can also shake your hand at some night huntin. If you haven't ever done that man you are in for a surprise. MAN I LOVE THIS STATE

The PM hunt would be fun for you but from what I read you want to sell the furs. The furs down there may not be worth much. You will want some of the colder areas to hunt for quality fur. You will not make much on them though. The colder areas are not going to be as good as a lot of Arizona and New Mexico though.

If fur is of concern I would highly recommend you look towards Wyoming, North Dakota, or Montana. There is quite a bit of private land in all three states, but many ranches welcome predator hunters, especially in December and January when the big game seasons are over.

Originally Posted By: rkhoodWell as most of the guys said here the PM hunt should be a good one. I would also recomend TEXAS as well for the main reason of "quota what quota"? Here you can get a permit for how ever long you are huntin and take as many critters as your heart desires. (or as many as you can call in).I am not sure how much the permit is but I think it is bout $17 or if all else fails just get the license for $48. You can find plenty of public land or pay to hunt on some private. The price varies, but you got to love a state that doesn't hold that whole "fur bearer" crap over your head. Oh yeah and as far as season is concerned....What season you can hunt them suckers when ever you want. You can also shake your hand at some night huntin. If you haven't ever done that man you are in for a surprise. MAN I LOVE THIS STATE I cant believe you forgot about some wild hogs for supper!
smile.gif
Nothing like a Texas BBQ.

come on !!!
but don't want you to misunderstand
"public land ???"
what public land ???
the licenses and the permits and the limits and the night hunting...all good
but you may have to pay a nice fee to hunt on private land
never cross a fence in texas...and there are a lot of em

also agree with many here
hunt the PM hunt in january in las cruces... prime "southern fur"
lots of public land...and lots of pros to help point ya in the right direction
guero

Great guys! Thanks for all tips!

I´m feel like this PM Convention would fit us well, just have to discuss it with my fellas.

The fur isn´t that important, we just felt like it would be a waste to just throw them. Some of us would also like to take home one or two coyote-hides.

If anyone around texas and NM feel like they can stand swedish visitors for 2-3 weeks, please send PM
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: WyoYoteso...there are 4 of you

would you folks happen to be ABBA by chance?

:>)

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I thought it but didn't think anyone would say it!!
That's funny. Sorry Swedish guys.

Originally Posted By: WyoYoteso...there are 4 of you

would you folks happen to be ABBA by chance?

:>)

"ABBA" now thats funny I don't care who you are, if you don't think thats funny you get out of here cuz thats funny.

Back