Swedes who wanna hunt 'yotes

Hi again! It´s me, one of the "A"´s in ABBA
laugh.gif

My friend talk to another swede who has been in Wyoming, but he hunted turkeys or something. But he said that the landscape look good for calling.

Do you know anything about calling in Wyoming?
Is it easy for a non-resident to hunt without guide and still get access to land?
Is there a good predator population?
Is it much snow in the start of December? Will foxes and coyotes be able to move easily?

I figured that Wyoming isn´t much else than highways and some small villages, true?

We decided that we´re going in the end of November, starting of December and stay for 3 weeks.

Thanks!
/Magnus

I'm sure they guys that live in WY can answer your questions better, but I'll take a stab.

First, I've shot a few coyotes in Wyoming, but all my predator hunting has been incidental to big game trips. You could go a month earlier and try to get some leftover antelope or deer tags... There are plenty of coyotes in the areas of Wyoming I've been. Don't know about foxes.

I don't know what license you need, but there is a pretty fair amount of public land in Wyoming that a non-resident can access. I suspect some of the residents up there can also point you in the right direction for private land that may offer calling opportunities.

Don't know about snow, but I suspect you'll have it. It'll probably be pretty cold too. Then again, you should be used to and ready for that, eh?

Wyoming has more antelope than people, but there are still some decent-sized towns. Cheyenne (the capital) in the southeast corner is the largest at about 65,000 people (last I checked). I think there are only about 330,000 people in the whole state. I want to move there...

If you are after coyotes in Wyoming you will not need a guide and there is a lot of public land.

Wyonimg does have a good coyote population but some areas are hunted from the air to control them.

First of December there could be a lot of snow in some areas. I have hunted Wyoming into the end of January and been able to get around with 4 wheel drive.

You will not need a license for coyotes.

Wyoming seems like a nice please if you don´t wanna run in to someone
laugh.gif
Just like we want it!

DesertRam the cold isn´t a problem for us, but if there is too much snow for the coyotes and foxes it would be.

This weekend we´re gonna get together and deside which state and what date we´re going.

Thank you all for your help!

Originally Posted By: RahkolaWyoming seems like a nice please if you don´t wanna run in to someone
laugh.gif
Just like we want it!

DesertRam the cold isn´t a problem for us, but if there is too much snow for the coyotes and foxes it would be.

This weekend we´re gonna get together and deside which state and what date we´re going.

Thank you all for your help!

Only come to Wyoming if you're bringing the "dancin' queen, young and sweet, only 17" :>)

Wyoming would be a good choice...in some parts of the State, winters can actually be fairly mild, plenty of public land, no license needed for coyotes, etc...BUT, a whole bunch of ADC work has been done here the past couple of years. This equates to experienced predators (survivors) and some pretty tough hunting. I think close to $6,000,000 (or more) was spent in 2008 alone. We still have coyotes but lately, success has been a crapshoot at best.

I was talking to drhart the other day and I can't recall the exact number of ADC coyotes he said were killed in Washakie County alone last year, but the amount was staggering. JCL and DogWhcker1 on this board are ADC board members for Hot Springs and Big Horn Counties, respectively...if they see this post they might chime in on the #'s taken in their areas.

I'm amazed at the numbers of coyotes taken by PM members in the SW area of the USA. If I was traveling as far as you guys plan too, I wouldn't nickel and dime about license fees...I'd be going where the coyotes are at. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Dang yote... Ain't you got enough queens there in big Wyoming
allreaddy?
smile.gif
We gots more than enough here in la la land. To bad we can't export a few! Grizz

Grizz, you must be referring to you favorite movie - "Brokeback Mountain" :>) just bustin' yer chops

California is a great place for "Queens"...please keep them there. When are you going to move out of La La Land?

Didn't Brokeback Mountain take place in Wyoming?
smile.gif
smile.gif

Well... Due to the nature of my work and family, I'm stuck
here until I retire. I want move to either the Mt Charlston/Lee canyon area of southern Nevada, or around Ceder City maby St George Utah. I don't know, Californians ain't exactly welcome in other states. The common complaint is that we drive up real estate prices wherever we land. And try to force our politics on the locals. It's down right hostile at times! We ain't all the same. When I do get the he11 out, the license plates are off the wifes and my vehicles. I also like the Mountain home/Kernvill area of Texas. Grizz

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONECalifornians ain't exactly welcome in other states. The common complaint is that we drive up real estate prices wherever we land. And try to force our politics on the locals. It's down right hostile at times! We ain't all the same. When I do get the he11 out, the license plates are off the wifes and my vehicles. I also like the Mountaim home/Kernvill area of Texas. Grizz

I agree you aren't all the same. I know some guys from California who are downright nice guys. I also know several who I wish had stayed in California. My biggest gripe is when they want to change our politics to match Californias. If they like the way things are there, stay there. As for the rest of you who want to get away from the fruits and nuts and live the Wyoming lifestyle, I welcome you wholeheartedly.

If Brokeback Mountain happened in California, no one would even notice. They definitely wouldn't make a movie about it.
grin.gif

Agree with DR. Geeezzz the only two queen sheepherders in Wyoming and they had to make a movie about it.

WYO: Coyote killed by Fed trappers. Over 800 two years running for Washakie and bighorn county. Thats over 800 for each county and thats per year for two years. All we got left(it seems) are the old, smart, closed mouth pairs and a crop of pups this year. Ah, but they do like to disperse and migrate; thats one good thing coming our way...

DogWhcker,

If my math is right, that's 3,200 coyotes killed for the 2 counties in a couple of years. Have you heard any figures for Park County?

Also, did ADC funding get cut this year?

Do they allow night hunting for predators in the Wyoming? Believe it or not, night hunting is in fact legal here in large areas of California. As long the general deer season is not open in the area. I'm not complaining, I'll take it. One of the few things that barly make this place tolerable to me. Considering the strict gun laws, Large areas up north that have "lead free" ammo restrictions because of the freaking condors (they all need killin), ban on mountain lion hunting, on and on. It's just odd to me that night hunting is legal here and has been long before I was around, go figure. Grizz.

Wyoming allows night hunting with a light on private land with written permission. It is illegal on BLM land. I think it would be legal if you hunted without a light like with a full moon and snow.

I just read in the paper this morning that the Nation Elk Refuge near Jackson is recommending that hunters "voluntarily" us non-lead bullets. Sometimes, I think our F&G department isn't far behind Californias.

This anti lead movement is getting out of hand. I just lost my rifle range over this BS. The range was sued and lost and closed forever. Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought lead came out of the ground in the fisrt place!

WYO: No numbers on how many 'yotes taken in Park County. You do have 2 trappers going full time though.

Funding was cut 28% overall and they beat us(Bighorn county) up bad to the tune of 37%!!! Long story, but they really psst me off on how they pulled that number. We've lost our newest fed. 'yote (and BEST) trapper due to budget reduction. Next year is going to be real tough and we DO NOT intend to lose our super star small predator trapper as a result. If you have seen the 2009 Animal Damage Management Stamp? You will note it was based off of the success of at least 2 counties reducing the very large numbers of small predators - primarily raccoon and skunks; and tripling the game birds (pheasant, turkey)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drhartLooks like we had all better go to Park County to hunt this winter.
smirk.gif

Coyotes in Park County?
shocked.gif

I don't think there are any left over here
smirk.gif

Plus, Dan, you've hunted with me...do you really think that I even know what a coyote is?
laugh.gif

Now you´re making me doubt about Wyoming. As you said WyoYote, if we´re going to travel that far we dont wanna go to some place were the coyote-population is low.

How about Montana? Is it to close to Wyoming to have alot of coyotes?
Or would New Mexico or Texas be a better option?
The license fee´s isn´t that big of a deal for us. We still need to get a license in some state to get our weapons in to the country. Some bureaucratic bull-[beeep]!

This "hunting-coyote-by-helicopter"-thing, is that something they done alot in Wyoming?
Under long time? And in which areas?

Magnus

To the best of my knowledge (and someone else may have better information) the state allocated an additional 6 million dollars to be spent the last two years for the Animal Damage Control Boards across the state. That is on top of the normal funding. The extra money allowed the counties to hire additional trappers/hunters and to spend a lot more money hunting from helicopters. Helicopters are definitely the most effective way to thin coyotes though.

There was an article in the Casper paper last summer reporting on the effectiveness of the extra money. They reported that slightly over 3000 coyotes more than normal had been killed with the extra money. I used a calculator at the time and it cost about $984 per addional coyote if they spent half of the $6 million the first year.

I have absolutely nothing against aerial hunting for control but it didn't seem like they were getting a lot of bang for their buck.

Back