Which $1000 Scope

You like to switch things up? What caliber rifle are you shooting? What kind of accuracy is your rifle capable of if you do your part? Are you willing to learn a new system? How would you like first shot kills, without cranking on turrets? Do you have a laser range finder that will return accurate readings out to 800+ yards? Do you have an anemometer? Hey, it sounds like you have the money to spend, so why not give this a try: http://www.horusvision.com/raptor.php
I know the other scopes are solid, quality pieces of equipment and I mean no disrespect to the other members here. But if you have the money and you're willing to try the Horus Vision system I think you will be pleased with the results.
Good luck with your purchase, whatever it may be.
~Scott

I don't need anything that complicated! I just want a long range scope that I can see the crosshairs when all but the smallest amount of light is gone. Out of the 80+ deer I have killed none have been over 200yds, but my hunting land is getting more open and ranges are increasing. I can only use one gun at a time and that is why when I pick one of them up to use I want them to be the last reason I miss. I want me to be the only thing to blame. I would rather have 3 or 4 really high quality setups than 10 ok ones.

Then I will say again....go with a Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

003.jpg

Look for a used Nightforce NXS 2.5-10X. You may be able to find one for under a grand. Super glass, and very repeatable clicks for dialing in. ALL things considered(price, glass, weight, turrets, durability), this scope is the best all around hunting optic out there, IMHO...

Forget the 12X max mag setting. If you can't hit it with 10X, you can't hit it at all...

Quote:
Nothing about this makes sense.

Jack

I agree jack...I think spending half the money and increasing supplies of ammo is a better option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Nothing about this makes sense.

Jack

Amen.
For Deer hunting, you need a 12x scope like you need another hole in your head.
At 300 yards, which is a very long shot on a Deer, probably one you'll never make in North Carolina, a 6x scope has the Deer look like shooting one at 50 yards with no scope at all. Anyone who is a Deer hunter should be able to shoot and hit a Deer at 50 yards with iron sights. So a 6x at 300 yards is more than enough.
If you're a hunter, 99% of your shots will be about 100 yards max.
Lastly, quality of glass is FAR and away more important than higher power, like 12x.
You don't need 50mm objective scopes, or ones with 30mm tubes either.
A high quality, fixed power 6x scope is more than enough.

Quote:
Quote:
at 500 I hold 12" over the backline and can make a killing shot to 500.
RR

Try aiming at hair and not at air sometime. Not guessing is beautiful thing. Range, dial turrets, kill. No holdover........

2much, I've done just a bit of spinning the dials, but you don't need to for a chipshot like 500 yards
LRrigs.jpg

Get some real distance into the equasion and I'll agree that dialing and holding on hair is the best, but it won't be with a 1" tubed M1 scope, the comeups aren't true 1/4 MOA
1350.jpg

even the 4x12 variXII's with 48 pt target knobs set up by premier are .192" per click, this is according to chris thomas.
RR

Quote:
A-line Swarovski. Top of the line glass. Lightweight. Short. Great lines. As good as it gets for $1,000. Tom.

I have three of them in 6x18 on my Cooper PD rifles, fantastic glass. I use the BR reticle, then calibrate it with Swaro's web site.

No need for anything like that on a deer rifle though. Well I guess they do make one in 4x14 or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you want to spend $1000 then go with the Swarovski, Kahles or Zeiss. Is it necessary to spend that much on a scope? No, but you won't regret it, if money is not an issue.

Ridge Runner what scope are you using?

All these posts on what is really a very simple problem, and not one of you got it right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just get 1 of these (used) and be done with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SANY0021.jpg

nmleon that is my dream scope! And as far as distance Martyn4802 I can do 300yds in my parents yard! I don't make enough money to buy a sub-standard fixed power scope for my deer gun and then a nice variable on a gun I might carry out west or something. I got places in SC I can hunt that have fields 900yds across so a 6X might be like blob shooting right at dark. Most of the guys I hunt with down there use Schimit's or Swaro's because of the glass and the ability to stay on stand "legally" till 1 hr after sunset. When you have 29 bucks in the field near dark and you are squinting to see them through a crapy scope then it all makes since as to why buy the best you can. Extra guns and ammo don't shoot theirselves standing in the safe!

I have the 3X10 Swarovski A-Line on my go to 30-06 deer rifle. 300-400 yard shots are no problem at all. Clarity is second to none at 300 or 400 yards.

I own scopes that cost more, have larger OL's, and larger tubes. In a hunting situation(IMO) this scope is top of the line. There are trade offs in a deer rifle that require different characteristics over other types of hunting. Weight, length, and ease of use are just a few. The A-line matches a good lightweight deer rifle, or a heavier standard deer rifle.

Until a person hunts with one they can not understand the difference between Leupold and Swarovski. It is easy for hunters who have not used one to take swipes at the more expensive glass. However once you use one you will never go back.

Also remember the original post was about the best scope for $1,000. I have not seen a better one listed yet that he can buy new for $1,000?? Tom.

Quote:
There is actually somw 4-12x50 A-Lines on Ebay for less than $850 NIB!

I would never spend that kind of cash at that leftist craphole of a site like ebay. Too many scams out there on that site for my money to go there. When you spend cash like that you want it from a very reputable dealer who will provide service to you incase you need it, I know, I know..............save me the "I have never had a problem stories" Wouldnt your first bad deal story be a painful one at 800+ dollars!

I have bought 2 Zeiss, 1 Kahles, and 3 Bushnell Elite's off Ebay with no problems! And I should add 5 $200 + fishing reels to boot! I would rather buy from Ebay than to drive 20 minutes to Gander Mountain and get ripped off by there prices.

Back