Hevi Shot Dead Coyote on sale at Gander Mountain

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinIs that stuff any better than other buckshot?

yes it is. if you can afford to buy it. to expensive for me. even on sale with free shipping.

Ive found that a solid turkey load with a full choke can do major damage out to about 60 yards, but you can slow them down out to 80 i suppose, dead coyote seems gimmiky with a price tag like that

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinIve found that a solid turkey load with a full choke can do major damage out to about 60 yards, but you can slow them down out to 80 i suppose

is that what you found? presume you are talking about this major damage on coyote? how many times have you found this major damage to a coyote with a turkey load?

dead coyote shot is not a gimmick. it is good stuff. just cost to much. heck if you turkey loads do major damage at 60 yards, dead coyote would do major damage at 120 yards. in a fantasy world at least. dead coyote shells are at least that much better than a turkey load for a coyote.

I agree that they cost an arm and a leg but they are very effective. I have never shot a coyote with a turkey load but I would think that dead coyote would out perform any turkey specific load on the market especially at extended ranges.

I have had to use lead free shot on coyotes for quite a few years now. I knew I didn't want to try steel shot on coyotes so I went with the denser than lead loads.

Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote is great stuff but there are loads and shot sizes and types that I like better and many of these loads were cheaper than Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote.

Keep your eyes open for Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB loads or the Waterfowl Heavyweight #2 shot loads. Federal Heavyweight shot is 15g/cc density compared the Hevi-Shot that is 12g/cc density. Federal Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead and much harder than lead.

The Federal Heavyweight 12 ga 3" Coyote BB loads have 12 more pellets per shell than the Hevi-Shot 12 ga 3" Dead Coyote T shot loads have.

If you can find any of the Federal Heavyweight Coyote BB loads or the Heavyweight #2 shot waterfowl loads for under the price of Hevi-Shot Dead coyote buy some. The Federal Heavyweight #2 shot loads are no longer being made.

It's too bad that Federal didn't make a 3" 12 ga 1-1/2 oz of Heavyweight #2 shot loads for coyotes.

Below are a few of the great deals that I tried to get people to take advantage of.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1986213
These 2-3/4" Rem HD BB loads for $1.00 per shell were a great coyote load, they had 58 pellets per shell and out performed lead number 4 buck and Hevi-Shot Dead coyote in my opinion.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2261168

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2849436

I've found many people like to speculate on subjects without qualifying their comments as pure speculation and not actual experience.

Originally Posted By: GCI've found many people like to speculate on subjects without qualifying their comments as pure speculation and not actual experience.

At $4.50+ per round I speculate I won't buy any!

I will say that I'd rather shoot 7 1/2 shot with the appropriate choke than DC without. I think some people buy DC, like I did the first time, and don't pattern it. My first experience was a Volkswagen sized pattern at 50 yards. I bought their choke tube and I was much happier. It was a really good combination.

Hornady varmint express #4 with a mod choke makes me just as happy, at $1.00 a pull.

Kentucky started night hunting for coyote with shotguns only a couple years ago. I had to find what would work best in my gun. I went with DC 3 1/2 inch and the DC tube along with a ECOTech sight. Once sighted in the patterns were great past 60 yards. So far every coyote I've shot with it was under 50 yards and every one of then dropped on the spot. I'm happy with it and will keep it.

Originally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinIve found that a solid turkey load with a full choke can do major damage out to about 60 yards, but you can slow them down out to 80 i suppose, dead coyote seems gimmiky with a price tag like that

Major damage on what at 60 yards ?

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobFederal Heavyweight shot is 15g/cc density compared the Hevi-Shot that is 12g/cc density. Federal Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead and much harder than lead.

The Federal Heavyweight 12 ga 3" Coyote BB loads have 12 more pellets per shell than the Hevi-Shot 12 ga 3" Dead Coyote T shot loads have.

Judging by this statement you'd take the Federal heavyweight BB over the Hevi-Shot Dead-Coyote T? Tough to find reviews, and/or people that use the Federal load so it's good to hear some first hand knowledge.

I've been interested in pattern testing the Federal Heavyweight but no one local to me sells it. In the field dropping down to a BB from T shot i'd think i'd lose some effective killing range, and i've been downright impressed with how far i've made some kills with the hevi-shot. Do you think the Federal BB is as effective at range as the T shot?

I do shoot the #2 goose load for fox & bobcat to meet my local regs, they do shoot well and pattern dense but I haven't shot a coyote with them yet.

I tried them all..

I tried the turkey load. (was out turkey hunting) at more than 25 yrds it wasn't effective. Inside 20yrds you could use rock salt with some effectiveness.

I tried the turkey, then i tried the #2 shot loads, and that doesn't really work that well either. I had more than a few get up and keep running, vs. dead right there.

I tried a box of DC, it's not that great. Its really not worth the $4+ per shell.

I tried Estate 2 3/4" 00 Buck thinking they would be good, Not really. They worked, but didn't really deliver the energy, and was about as effective as shooting with a 22lr. (which i tried too)

I tried the #4 buck and it was better since more of the pattern was hitting the organs. But still not as good as DC but a lot cheaper.

I now use the 3" Hornady in BB, they hammer the coyotes, drop them Dead, and puts plenty of pellets on target and best of all, don't tear up the hides. I was worried if a fox or Bobcat came in close and shot with a shotgun would still tear up a hide. I had a few ewwww moments on a few fox with a direct hit with #4 and 00 buck. I shot a bobcat at 10yrds broadside, and while some of the pelets went all the way through, there was a dense pattern of pellet holes, but didn't tear up the hide and I didn't have to sew any holes. (I see the Horandy for $12-14 on sale at times and buy several boxes when i do)

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: derbyacresbobFederal Heavyweight shot is 15g/cc density compared the Hevi-Shot that is 12g/cc density. Federal Heavyweight shot is 35% denser than lead and much harder than lead.

Judging by this statement you'd take the Federal heavyweight BB over the Hevi-Shot Dead-Coyote T? Tough to find reviews, and/or people that use the Federal load so it's good to hear some first hand knowledge.

I've been interested in pattern testing the Federal Heavyweight but no one local to me sells it. In the field dropping down to a BB from T shot i'd think i'd lose some effective killing range, and i've been downright impressed with how far i've made some kills with the hevi-shot. Do you think the Federal BB is as effective at range as the T shot?

I do shoot the #2 goose load for fox & bobcat to meet my local regs, they do shoot well and pattern dense but I haven't shot a coyote with them yet.

I would take the Federal load over Hevi-Shot for a couple of reasons. First, it's denser. Denser is better when discussing shot. Denser means more penetration and breaks bones better. Second, Environ Metal has a habit of changing components in their loads. Occasionally Hevi-Shot will change the wad or some other component and all that work you put in to finding good patterns is lost. That is very frustrating!!!

Thing to note about the Federal load is that it utilizes the Flite Control wad. Adjust the type of choke for this unique wad system. Generally speaking wad retarding/stripping chokes are a no-no for the Flite Control wad design. Standard flush fit factory chokes work and now there are some extended custom chokes available for the Flite Control that lack the specific wad retarding mechanisms.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: FullMoonYoteSkinIve found that a solid turkey load with a full choke can do major damage out to about 60 yards, but you can slow them down out to 80 i suppose, dead coyote seems gimmiky with a price tag like that

Major damage on what at 60 yards ?

Your wallet?

Back