Hevi Shot Dead Coyote on sale at Gander Mountain

unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: GCNow the other thing is that occasionally Environ Metal screws with the shot formula and has at times produced very brittle pellets that disintegrated upon hitting bone.

^ This. I can't complain about how they've performed for me but I have found LOTS of broken pieces on the outside of pelts and below the pelt. I have also seen the dust on the meat. I actually emailed hevi-shot about this and they explained the pellets are designed to puncture anything surrounded by water/fluid but not ricochet off bone/surrounding objects. That's fine, but how about when they blow through brush on the way there? I never got a second response. *as a side note this is not an over-choked issue, pattern boards show clean round pellet holes out to 50 yards.

Anyone know if the federal heavyweights are like this, or is it a harder product? I have to admit I was surprised at how brittle the hevi-shot was the first time I worked with it, you'd figure it would be he hard as a rock.

Um. Please excuse the ignorance in all the shotgun stuff. But. I use Winchester 00 buck. Seems to work good. Lol. Only killed two yotes w it. Both in the past week. But seriously. Is there a better option for 3 1/2 inch loads available besides the very expensive DC

Originally Posted By: nyttrain5150Found these are my local farm & ranch store. Are they the Remington HD BB you were referring to derbyacresbob?

210C3BCA-5FC1-43DE-883D-256D97646EF0_zpsalrfdber.jpg

That is the good stuff. If you can buy those Rem Wingmaster HD BB loads for $28.00 per box buy every box that they have.

If you bought HW13 BB shot to re-load 3" 1-1/2 oz loads just the shot would cost $2.15 per shell. So $2.80 per shell for Rem HD BB factory loads is a great buy and they are no longer being made so get them while you can!

Originally Posted By: SEcowboyUm. Please excuse the ignorance in all the shotgun stuff. But. I use Winchester 00 buck. Seems to work good. Lol. Only killed two yotes w it. Both in the past week. But seriously. Is there a better option for 3 1/2 inch loads available besides the very expensive DC

I don't know about 3 1/2" stuff, but there are plenty of 3" offerings that are better options than 00 Buck. Number Four Buck, T-shot and BB do all you need for coyotes.

Thanks for the insight derbyacresbob. I'll see if I can make a dent in their stock. I bought up all their Remington 3" #4 buck last year and they still haven't replenished the shelf.

I tried 3.5" but the recoil is awful.I got a few more hits in a 10" circle at 40yds.But 3" is enough IMO with either Feds BB or Fed or Rem's 4 buck.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: GCNow the other thing is that occasionally Environ Metal screws with the shot formula and has at times produced very brittle pellets that disintegrated upon hitting bone.
Anyone know if the federal heavyweights are like this, or is it a harder product? I have to admit I was surprised at how brittle the hevi-shot was the first time I worked with it, you'd figure it would be he hard as a rock.

I'm going to bump this question, if anyone has experience with both? Has anyone taken apart both shells to inspect the pellets? Hevi-shot seems real brittle, is the Federal stuff like this?

Appreciate the input.

i cut a few different federal shells apart and pounded the pellets on a anvil with a hammer. none of it was brittle like some of the hevi shot shells are or were.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti cut a few different federal shells apart and pounded the pellets on a anvil with a hammer. none of it was brittle like some of the hevi shot shells are or were.

Good to know, that's a pretty legitimate test. I must say Hevi-Shot's pellets do look like sh*t for what you pay for them, most aren't even round.

I guess this is a real issue for CA hunters, since they banned lead. They have to have a replacement, so how this stuff is performing matters.

I've been using remington 3" #4 buck since about 2000, works fine on yotes. Inconsistent on deer, I've seen it kill them dead & not so much. Prefer 00 or 000 buck for deer, when buckshot is needed.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnoti cut a few different federal shells apart and pounded the pellets on a anvil with a hammer. none of it was brittle like some of the hevi shot shells are or were.

Good to know, that's a pretty legitimate test. I must say Hevi-Shot's pellets do look like sh*t for what you pay for them, most aren't even round.

DC T shot is not the same as Hevi-shot steel which look like welding slag..lol DC T are powdered metal and are formed, they all look the same, atleast the ones I've seen.

All of the Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote T shot pellets I have looked at were perfectly round shot. The Hevi-Shot B shot and smaller has always looked like welding slag and can be much bigger and smaller in size than what it says on the box.

I do hunt coyotes in California where I have to use lead free shot on coyotes. My choice was to use steel that I knew doesn't work nearly as good as lead shot or try the tungsten alloy shot that I had heard was much better than steel shot. I had taken quite a few coyotes in the past with lead shot and I knew I didn't want to use steel because coyotes were really hard to kill with lead shot.

I am just glad I had to make the switch to tungsten shot when it was still available and it was on sale or being closed out. It didn't take long shooting Remington Wingmaster HD BB Waterfowl loads at coyotes, pattern paper and catalogs to see that it was far superior to copper plated lead BB shot.

There are some great coyote tungsten alloy loads out there that are waterfowl loads. A great coyote load doesn't have to have the word coyote on the box to make it a great coyote load.

Even the best shotgun loads you can buy or re-load will not drop coyotes dead in their tracks every time. Most of these loads pattern very tight and it is real easy to hit a coyote with the edge of the pattern especially at 30 yards and less. Just be ready to keep shooting at a coyote with your shotgun if the coyote is still moving at all.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobOriginally Posted By: nyttrain5150Found these are my local farm & ranch store. Are they the Remington HD BB you were referring to derbyacresbob?

210C3BCA-5FC1-43DE-883D-256D97646EF0_zpsalrfdber.jpg

That is the good stuff. If you can buy those Rem Wingmaster HD BB loads for $28.00 per box buy every box that they have.

If you bought HW13 BB shot to re-load 3" 1-1/2 oz loads just the shot would cost $2.15 per shell. So $2.80 per shell for Rem HD BB factory loads is a great buy and they are no longer being made so get them while you can!

Well I'll be a monkeys uncle! I went back today to buy at least a box and they're all gone. Just my luck!

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: GCSome sandbagger was reading this thread and got in there ahead of ya!
smile.gif

Long drive,but worth it !
grin.gif

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Back