Your choice of optics

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKtt35,
I may have to disagree with one thing you said. Seems to me that set of Leica Binocs with the incorporated range finder would be awesome for almost any type of hunting or for hat matter any type of wildlife viewing.

I would love to have a set like that. Know of any good deals out there?

You can get the Leica Geovid's right now for as cheap as they've ever been. Leica is curretly offering a $350.00 rebate and Doug at Camerland NY had them for $1,750.00 new in the box, so $1,400.00 net. Still a chunk of change, but about $800.00 cheaper than they were a year ago, and still less expensive than buying a separate high end bino (Swaro SLC/EL, Leica Ultravid, Zeiss FL, Nikon EDG) and a stand alone rangefinder (Swaro LG, Leica CRF/LRF, Zeiss PRF).

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKtt35,

I would love to have a set like that. Know of any good deals out there?

They are pretty incredible. My wife made me promise that they would be my one purchase for that year.
smile.gif
The only deals I've seen on them is for refurbished ones from Camera Land NY. http://cameralandny1.reachlocal.net/optics/site.pl?page=40029 I just checked and don't see any right now but you can keep watching for them. Too new to find any used ones floating around it seems. Noone wants to be without theirs either, I guess. Good luck.

SKB2706,
Ten Roger on big bucks for those binocs. However I have been a very good boy. I think maybe I deserve a set. I sure would trade my .17 HMR Rem 597 in on a set.
smirk.gif

You guys snuck in on me. Don't you just love the way this live internet works?

How are they for weight, portability, etc.

Last edited:
I have a BSA platnum 6-24x40, target knobs, target dot on my FP10 thats been doing a super job since 1999.
I have a new Nikon buckmaster 6-18x44 mildot, target dials side focus on my R15.
I also have a new Simmons master series 6-24x44, target knobs, side focus, mildot scope awaiting its new home on another FP10 I have ordered.

I only own two rifle scopes. One is a Trijicon ACOG which stays on my AR and the other is a Swarovski 1.5-6 illuminated scope which I move from one rifle to the other depending upon the hunt.

I chose the Swarovski due to the fact that the reticle is tempered glass instead of wire and can take the massive recoil that some of my bigger caliber rifles produce.

However, even with the Swarovski, I am still a lousy shot.
crazy.gif

3 leupolds, 2 burriss, 1 nikon.

i really like leupold optics. they are super clear and they are what i always suggest to friends.

but i must say that the burriss scopes have impressed me....especially for the price.

i would like a zeiss just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKSKB2706,
Ten Roger on big bucks for those binocs. However I have been a very good boy. I think maybe I deserve a set. I sure would trade my .17 HMR Rem 597 in on a set.
smirk.gif

You guys snuck in on me. Don't you just love the way this live internet works?

How are they for weight, portability, etc.
To be honest they are big and heavy. They have their place but on a long hike around your neck you'd feel 'em by the end of the day. Crystal clear and easy to use...but alas they are too rich for my blood.

I only have Nikon and Weaver scopes on all my guns.I think the best kept secret in scopes are the Weaver.It could be because they don't advertise much and alot of the big name Stores don't carry them much anymore.So they go unnoticed and most new shooters today have no clue how great the glass and reliability really are.Or if Weaver still even makes a scope today.You get a lot of scope for the money! Take the Weaver rimfire series.The fixed 4x or the 2-7 power are about as good as it gets on a .22.The Leupold in the same rimfire class cost twice as much and the glass is not near as clear or crisp.I had a hard time shooting squirrels in the head with a Leupld fixed 4x rimfire so I sold it and bought another weaver.I have no problem now cause I can see much clearer outta my fixed 4x weaver rimfire.

I quit buying anything Nikon when they kept charging me $25 (despite the "warranty") to repeatedly fix the same problem with a pair of their binocs.
I'm sticking with Leupold until I can afford to buy from the other high end US owned companies.

Nikon 3X9X40 BDC on 22 mag I like the BDC so I don't have to worry about holdover.

Nikon 3X9X40 Slughunter With BDC on Browning BPS slug gun, crosshair dead on @ 100, first circle is dead on @ 200 with 1900 lbs of energy

Leupold VX-II 1X4X20 with heavy duplex on 12 Ga. Encore turkey barrel

Leupold VX-III 2.5X8X38 with Boone & Crockett reticle on Browning X Bolt 270 Win nice and lightweight scope for lightweight gun and I can hold dead on at 200,305,460, and 515 with this gun,scope, and load combo

Trijicon Accupiont 1.25X4X with Amber Triangle lighted reticle NO BATTERY on TC Encore Pro Hunter 50 Cal muzzleloader. To me these are one of the top 5 scopes on the market check out there web sight they have a lot to offer.

swaroski 3.5-18x44 z5 on my cooper model 22 243 brx ret
swaroski 3.5-18x44 z5 on my cooper model 21 223 brx ret
leupold vx 111 4.5-14x40 AO on browning bar 243 heavy duplex
burris ff 2 4.5-14x50 AO on armlite 223 duplex ret
nikon prostaff 3-9x40 on my ruger 10/22 duplex
redfield partner 3-9x40 on a ruger 10/22 duplex

I went with the swaroskis because of quailty and because of information from a member on PM helping answer questions about them and all the things i read there was nothing bad about them. Leupold was what i used to use that and nikon but after the z5s its pretty hard to be happy with anything less now. Even the leupold wich is a really good scope just dont look as clear now after looking threw quailty glass. The burris on the AR was pretty much broke after buying the AR so went with the burris not real cheap but not a wallet breaker neither. And it serves it function just fine so it will stay. The nikon on the ruger my ruger is stainless and nikon has all ways done me ok so i got the silver prostaff. The other ruger i bought for the wife and i started out as a kid with redfield so thought it would work good to start her off with it. Sad thing i have had it set up for 6 months now and she still hasnt shoot a round threw it. Im hopeing to change that when it cools down a bit. Hopeing she will enjoy punching paper with me to start off. I kind of hit my self she wanted to deer hunt so i bought her a ruger 243 and even though it dont have much recoil it scared her i think. I should of started her out on a 22 and work up. So thats what im doing this year. Im going to let her shoot the bar and see how she does with it after awhile and if i feel comfey with her shooting may see if she wants to deer hunt this year. probally be next year when she is comfey though.

Last edited:
Unertl - 1 , Lyman - 1, Swarovski - 1, Bausch & Lomb -1 ext BalVar ; 1 - 4000, Bushnell - 2, Redfield -2 (denver), Weaver - 2 (el paso); 4 (tokyo), Leupold -6, Nikon -8, then an assortment of 22 rimfire (weaver,simmons,bsa,bushnell)

Last edited:
USOptics SN3 1.8 x 10 w/ 37mm obj.

P1050514.jpg

scope051.jpg

scope048.jpg

We shoot them for 2 reasons.

1. Because we can do this

2. Because we couldn't ask for a better optics sponsor.

Last edited:
On the rifles I have mosty Leupolds, which is what I buy when I buy new. I also have two Bushnell 3200s that I've obtained used and like quite well. On my Contender I have a Bushnell (.223 barrel) and a Burris (.30-30AI barrel). I hate to admit that I was a bit hypocritical on the Burris, as I espouse Leupolds and other USA-made stuff at almost every chance. However, at the time of the purchase it was either the Burris or nothing, so I have a Burris (and I like it). I've also got a few cheapies laying around from my poor college days. In fact, my AR is currently wearing a Cabela's Pine Ridge 'cuz I had to juggle Leupolds around to get one of those on Mama's new .338 in time for elk season.

I am kind of bias, but I have a Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 on my air rifle, a Clearidge Ultra XP 4.5-14x40 on my .17HMR and I have a Clearidge Ultra XP5 2.5-12.5x42 on my deer rifle. My opinion, they are the best scopes for the money.

Back