Would like to see some bird dog pix.

SteveH - I remember years ago with my first Shorthaired taking him to a trainer to help me train. He put out three remote launchers with pidgeons. Then we took the pup (around 6 months) into the field. The first one he went closely right by it never even noticing anything. I was just sick I knew my dog must have a horrible nose or at least no desire to hunt. Then the trainer released the remore and the pup jumped and turned around and saw the bird and watched it fly back to it's coop. Then we headed up by the second one....the pup started acting like he smelled it....then he hit the remote again....then the pup really got excited. Then we headed to the third bird. The pup who minutes earlier had left me to believe didn't have a nose locked up on the third bird from a distance that really impressed the trainer. That young pup that I had been so disapointed with on his first bird he ever saw went on to become a dog that countless people would say that dog is the best dog I have ever hunted with. Then when he was 13 I had to put him down on Christmas Eve. I had taken him to the Vet as he wasn't doing well then got the call that he had cancer. He was suffering so I went down to the Vet made over my dog then said o.k. and then he peacefully went to sleep in my arms. One of the hardest things I have had to do but also was the kindest last acts I could do for my buddy.

Man Greifshorthairs your killing me with those pictures. I am wanting one more and more, even though i am thinking it might not ,dare i say, be my best option. I just can't get over them. Especially your dog, beautiful.

Hey Grief.sh.... those are some great pics you posted. Good memories of your GSP as well. Our pups just don't stay with us long enough... very few things are tougher in life than having to put them down.
I hear ya on expectations... I learned well with our Brit (who was put down last fall) to be patient and things turn on. She had been over birds prior to her first phesant season, yet on her 1st "real" hunt she literally walked right over the 1st rooster we came across and flushed it purely by mistake. She woke up literally that day and turned in a ridiculously good 1st season in the field. She only got better and I have tons of stories of her days as I know you do and the rest of the guys here. Patience... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have complete faith that our little 4 month old pup will get there eventually too.

Keep posting those pics...

Best wishes!
Steve

This is Madge. She's a Spinone Italiano ("spin-oh-nee"). She's almost 2 yrs old - this is her first hunting season and our first bagged bird. She's easy going at home but wow! like throwing a switch into intense when she hits the field. I am looking forward to hunting with her a lot more.
her breeder's website is
http://www.mountainvalleyspinone.com

Looks like this same picture is on their site already too!

MadgeNov2008.jpg

I don't know if this video will post but If it does, it is my shorthair trying to kill my siamese cat.
It didn't work. Sorry
Dave

Last edited:
Don't bother showing it unless the dog succeeded......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hey Smokin250 - Just talked to Liz's owners today over lunch. They are going to be sending me some more pictures of Liz and Sam (Samatha) Liz's younger sister. Sounds like Sammy is doing awesome at only 5 months. Just thought I would warn you...........pics to come soon.

cornstalker - Thanks. We have been very proud of the pups we have raised. Sure going to miss having them. The best part has been hearing from the people on how their pups and dogs are doing. Love to see the pictures and hear the stories.

Another picture of Liz at 9 months. The young man is Liz's guy. I fully plan on getting some really good seats at a major league ballgame someday because of this young fella.

Tyler_Liz.jpg

Back