Wolf shot in SD

v2k

The local news is reporting a coyote hunter shot a wolf in Roberts county SD. That would be north east SD.

Wolf Shot In Roberts County - 01/29/2009 6:12 PM

01/29/2009
Wolf Shot In Roberts County

Wildlife officials say a coyote hunter shot and killed a wolf in Roberts County. The state Game, Fish and Parks Department says the female wolf weighed about 70 pounds.

The department and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service say wolves are protected under the Endangered Species Act and state law and that it is illegal to kill them.

Officials say people who plan to hunt coyotes in northeastern South Dakota, particularly in northern Roberts County, should use caution to make sure the animal they are shooting is a coyote and not a wolf.

Wildlife officials say the female wolf, shot Sunday, was traveling with a second, larger animal that also likely was a wolf.

© 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. Material may not be redistributed.

Quote:
Given a warning?! He should have his hunting privileges revoked.......for not killing the other one too!

I started to jump to oonclusions there........... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
Given a warning?! He should have his hunting privileges revoked.......for not killing the other one too!

Timberbeast7- That "cracked me up"! LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well I am going to go against the grain here and say that it is a shame that this female wolf was killed. Wolves are endangered and we should make every effort to preserve the species.

As it most likely was an honest mistake, I am not saying the hunter should be cited.

But it's a shame that it happened.

Just my 2 cents.

Accident or not having wolves in the neighborhood is akin to having a burglar/thief move into the neighborhood with no threat of prosecution.

shooter

Quote:

I will second that, and you owe me a key board as well lol.

Quote:
Well I am going to go against the grain here and say that it is a shame that this female wolf was killed. Wolves are endangered and we should make every effort to preserve the species.

As it most likely was an honest mistake, I am not saying the hunter should be cited.

Just my 2 cents.

Endangered? Yup, so they say. However, if you want some, come on over and get some. We have just a few we can spare. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif On a good note, the wolves have been struggling just a bit here because they've gotten mange. It's kept the numbers down just a bit lately.

Quote:
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

Endangered? Yup, so they say. However, if you want some, come on over and get some. We have just a few we can spare. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif On a good note, the wolves have been struggling just a bit here because they've gotten mange. It's kept the numbers down just a bit lately.

I think the fellas in Idaho, and Montana would gladly give you a few of theirs as well.

Last edited:
I live in country that has always had wolves. I see no reason to the almost hysterical "big bad wolf" reaction to them. I think it is always wrong to break game laws, and that it is too bad an animal died that shouldn't have.

Why is it that an animal whose role in the ecosystem occasionally makes it competitive with our economy needs to be vilified like wolves are? Why do wolves have no right to live while ducks and geese, which do more "damage" to agriculture than any other bird are viewed as deserving protection and even encouragement?

Wolf hatred is just not rational. I like the fact that wolves live where I hunt. Their existence means my world is healthier. I can think of of no reason to try to deliberately exterminate any mammal.

"Well I am going to go against the grain here and say that it is a shame that this female wolf was killed. Wolves are endangered and we should make every effort to preserve the species."

I bet wolves seem great for someone living in NJ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

We had a group from Omaha that wanted to get them in the Northwest part of the state, in the pine ridge area. They were getting help from some group back east. It didn't really go anywhere, but I get a kick how great people think they are, when they live hundreds of miles away.

He**, I'd buy that hunter dinner! He would have to get the tip for not getting the other one though.

If I'm not mistaken, Canada has more of a big game population than we do down south so the wolves up there are a good part of the system. Down here (Idaho) they're wiping out the elk herds in some areas, deer some too.

I've also heard said that the wolf that was native here many years ago was a smaller animal than the imported one we have from the north (but I don't know if it's true).

All that said, I'm for upholding the law...and he shouldn't have shot if he knew it was a wolf. Whether or not he knew will be one or was debated I'm sure.

I think some people (many are eastern politicians) who don't have a clue about this should let the states manage it, and quit getting in the way when this country has more important things that they should be addressing anyway. But, then again, they are politicians. My 2bits.

I agree, have his privilages revoked. We are even getting a few in Oregon, and I don't want ANY here. The deer had it tough last winter, if we have another one like that with wolves it wouldn't be good.

Shepard,last time someone mentioned SSS, the moderaters didn't like it at all. Might want to get rid of that part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

remember bush delisted them like they should be and obama put them back on,i guess he didn't have anything more important to do.they need to be controlled

Quote:
Wolves are endangered and we should make every effort to preserve the species.

Wolves are not endangered. There are THOUSANDS of wolves in Canada, Alaska, and yes, even the lower 48. This nonsense that they are endangered in this state or that is a bunch of liberal activist drivel being used as a political tool against industry and outdoorsmen the same way the spotted owl, lynx, grizzly bear, salmon, marbled murrelet, etc. are being used.

I have no problem with any of these animals and don't wish any of them to be "extinct", but to put them on a pedestal and worship them and make them untouchable as they destroy OUR game herds and livelihoods is absurd. I'm way off base you might say, well here is someone from the other side of the issue........"Snohomish resident Kim Holt, on the other hand, said she "came out of the womb loving wolves," and now serves as the secretary-treasurer of the Wolf Recovery Foundation." (Spokesman Review, 1-12-07) Does this sound like rational thought?

To me there is little wonder why people who deal with this issue everyday because it affects the way we hunt, work, and play dislike the wolves being forced on us.

Back