With apologies to Col. Custer, Spud's (almost) Last Stand

WyoYote,
You'll have to ask Dasher about lineage. Or ask Mason Workman or Dave James, who are the guys Dasher got his starter dogs from, I believe.

Craig was sure surprised when I called up a bison, just by calling "Teddy! C'mere Teddy!"

Gonzaga, Hanna's not so far. Let me know when you're coming.
I'll see if I can get away. But you have to bring Tug!

Craig, You've GOT TO frame that pic of Tucker with the coyotes. Great pic of her.

Last edited:
Those two look like clones of mom and dad. Looks like you guys had a fun meeting.

They are a mix of Mountain cur, some Red bone in the female, and some Plott in the male.

Dad right mom left
dogs227.jpg

Good work guys sounds like a blast, CK let me know when you can make it up, it will be tough to top a day like that but we can try

JShepard, Just let me know when you are going to park that grain truck for a few hours and we will come a runnin, Tucker and me.

CK,

yep, we need to get some hunting done. Just in case you didn't hear, a few of us are planning another Wyo. Get-Together, probably 3rd weekend in February. Possibly Alcova again, but other areas will be considered.

I don't think you guys really caught on to my "Mississippi Leg Hound" crack
smile.gif
Ever seen "Christmas Vacation" ?

Airedale56 and DoubleCK--I really enjoyed reading about your successful hunt with the dogs getting in their licks too!! Great photos too!!! Keep up the good work.

WyoYote,

The 1st Annual WYO CLASSIC GET TOGETHER was great fun! Count me in. Let me know what I can do to help.

Tucker and I are going out tomorrow to try a new spot with a friend (Cody Native) to the North. Planning to meet Wyoming Drifter on your side for a few stands this week. Then planning a weekend(s) following JShepard and Hunter around further to the North.

The knee is holding up pretty well. Just hope I don't run out of Celebrex.

DCK

Could of used a good dog today, at least for retrieving. Called in a triple this afternoon, killed the 1st one about 50' in front of me, the other 2 ran up a ridge that was about 300 yd away, I kicked the Fury into Ki-yi and got 1 to stop. Fired off a shot, pretty sure I hit it, then burned about an hour looking for the down coyote.

Found it, tucked under a thick sagebrush, dead, practically right in front of me the whole time. Guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad, but the searching probably cost me 2 more stands for the day
frown.gif
I need a dog that can be both a decoy dog and point chukars, plus be a pretty dog to satisfy my wife. She wants something called a LabraDoodle...good god!!!
smile.gif

Or a Wirehaired Griffon. (-: Charlie can you chime in here?

Pat, what sounds are working for you over there right now? We had good luck stirring passion in Rawlins and Albany County with the ole "TA17 Secret Sequence #9." No luck here today though. Sure miss Tim on here. He kept things lively.

German Shorthair or Wirehair?!?!? Never heard of 'em
smile.gif

What I'd really like is a Wirehair or an English Pointer, wife wants some worthless (but expensive) Lab/Poodle cross. Guess we'll compromise and just not have a dog for the time being
frown.gif
Luckily, I have a couple of local buddies running some good Wirehairs plus a big pheasant hunting lease to hunt, but I think they only let me tag along because I know where all the Chukar coveys are in the Basin
wink.gif

"Secret" sounds are working over here, along with a slight change-up in technique. I built a makeshift recording "studio" last Spring and taped some of my favorite hand calls. Have used these homebrews about 90% exclusively this season with fantastic success. One of my best is a distressed bird sound from a call made with Russian Olive that I sent to, I think CourtGus (Jamie Searcy). Howling was working extremely well, up until about 2 weeks ago. Lately, I've had zero success on any stand that I use howls...and about 75% with the homebrew distress sounds. I won't dare even howl til' maybe mid to late January.

Tim = TA17? I've been absent from PM since last Spring, not sure what happened. Maybe one of the many backroom victims given a one way ticket to Siberia? Heck, he probably deserved it

Thanks for the tip Pat.

Hard for a passionate advocate for WT & the .17 calibers like TA to navigate the rocky waters and mine fields. (-:

GSP's and Wirehairs will hunt anything with fur or feather if you train them for it. Some of the MOST versatile dogs that there is, or that you will find.

I love the Airedale posed above the other dogs. I have no doubt that a coyote wants no part of an Airedale. Probably won't want too much out of those young dogs either. Great pictures. Thanks for posting.

Nice looking dogs.

I've got an Airedale that is almost 2 years old, the best dog I've ever had. He comes from a 105lb male and an 85lb female, but has always been a finicky eater that doesn't seem to care whether he eats or not so he's smaller. We got him a five year old 85lb German Shorthair Lab mix so he would have some deterrent help if they have coyotes or Lions thinking about coming into their space. Now that they are outside they seem to be doing their job.

They were barking up a storm the other night so I went out to see what had them stirred up, a female coyote was about 140 yards away just sitting there looking like she was trying to entice them into coming to her. I hit her with a .22 (annoys me I hadn't grabbed the .222 but the .22 was handier), she yelped and jumped into the air and took off, when she got over a rise I heard quite a few more and it sounded like she might have been getting attacked. I figure they were setting the dogs up for an ambush.

Originally Posted By: woodguru

They were barking up a storm the other night so I went out to see what had them stirred up, a female coyote was about 140 yards away just sitting there looking like she was trying to entice them into coming to her.

you can tell it was a female from 140 yards away at night?
lol.gif

Back