Wisconsin Folks-Scanning Resolution-WAAAAAAHOOOOOO!!

Folks-The big day is coming up fast. I tried to make a printable poster on here that you could put in sporting goods stores, etc., but my computer illiteracy did not allow it. I have it in Word format but can't get it to transfer properly here. Maybe someone else could so folks could print it easily.

It's pretty much a condensed version of the talking points I posted earlier but it all fits on one page.

I am sending a copy of the talking points/rationale to every member of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress that has email access. That will really help if discussion occurs at the county meetings. It will also really help if predator hunters in every county possible are prepared to stand up and support this concept. ANY SUPPORT WE CAN GET WILL BE A HUGE HELP IN GETTING THIS DONE!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns!

Moosetrot

NOTICE TO WISCONSIN PREDATOR HUNTERS!
2012 WISCONSIN CONSERVATION CONGRESS
SPRING HEARINGS ARE APRIL 9 AT 7:00 P.M. IN EVERY COUNTY IN THE STATE.
WE NEED YOUR “YES” VOTE ON QUESTION 54!
Question 54. Use of Handheld Artificial Lights to Scan While Predator Hunting (# 320311)
Coyotes, foxes, and raccoons are predator species with strong populations that have considerable impacts on other species. They are generally nocturnal and as such, one of the most effective times to hunt predators is at night. Current Wisconsin law, allows the use of an artificial light while hunting predators at the point of kill to identify the target, but does not allow “scanning” with an artificial light to locate and identify the target. With the increasing population of wolves, when hunting coyotes, it is particularly important to accurately identify the target. Some feel that allowing scanning is an efficient tool and would help hunters locate and accurately identify their target.

Do you favor legislation allowing an individual engaged in hunting coyotes, foxes, and raccoons to use handheld artificial lights to “scan” under the following stipulations:
1. The hunter must be a minimum of 200 feet from their vehicle and in compliance with state firearms discharge laws and/or local ordinances regarding firearms discharge or use of lights.
2. The hunter must be stationary and not changing their location while scanning.
3. The hunter must be using a predator call and clearly engaged in predator hunting.
4. “Scanning” may only be used during times and areas where there are no gun deer seasons in effect?
54. YES ______ NO _____
It is time for Wisconsin predator hunters to have the ability to legally use a handheld artificial light to scan their surroundings and safely locate and identify their target while hunting during the night. Research on the topic shows that 33 states already have the ability to use artificial lights while coyote hunting in place. Of course there are varying stipulations from state to state, but only those that clearly allow this practice were counted.
The stipulations contained in Question 54 provide a good structure for compliance, safety, distinction from illegal activities, and enforcement when necessary. They require compliance with existing state law, county and local ordinances regarding the use of spotlights and/or the discharge of firearms. Our state has recently approved and trusted its citizens with the ability to transport uncased firearms within a vehicle. Certainly we need to recognize and offer such trust to those who choose to engage in legal hunting practices rather than restrict them due to the potential actions of those who would choose to engage in illegal activities.
We ask that the citizens of Wisconsin advance this concept through a “Yes” vote on Question 54 of the 2012 Spring Hearings. Doing so will be taking another step toward expansion of hunting opportunities with increased safety and efficiency for Wisconsin hunters.

Moosetrot,

Current WI law allows predator hunters to use night vision but forbids the use of infrared (IR) emiting devices. Her is how the current law reads:

"A night vision device can only be used to amplify available ambient light. Therefore, use of infrared emitting night vision scopes or devices is prohibited."

Do you know if this scanning law is passed if they might allow hunters using night vision to also use IR light to scan for predators ?

Thanks for the update Moosetrot,
This looks real good to me. I like the wording, simple and to the point. And it should be easy to not misconstrue predator hunters from poachers.
Thanks for all your effort on this and I will definitely be behind you on this at my local meeting. And I will gladly help by voicing my opinion using this outline.

Sent the info out to every member of the Conservation Congress that has email. Have gotten back great comments and folks are volunteering to speak to the concept at the Hearings! I think we have some momentum, folks! We'll know after Monday!

Moosetrot

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question 54 passed statewide, 2448 - 1178!!!!! It passed in 66 counties, rejected in 6.

Thanks for all the support, folks!

It's Leinie's time! Then...onward to the next step.

Moosetrot

After the Congress convention in May we'll start finding a legislator to introduce it as a bill. I might be able to start that ball rolling at the convention.

Will let you folks know what's going on. At some point there will probably be a need to contact your legislators to sign onto it or support it or both.

It'a ll positive for sure.

Moosetrot

Well, folks, we cleared another hurdle. The Wisconsin Conservation Congress approved the resolution at the convention in Manitowoc. There was a little opposition but got it through anyway.

Getting some advice on which legislator to approach to push it forward from some folks in the know. Once we get that it will be time for everybody wanting this to contact their legislators no matter what side of the aisle they are on.

More later. Onward.....through the fog!!!!!

Moosetrot

Great work Moosetrot! Do you have any updates for us? My buddies and I have been watching this thread and are wondering where you are at and if anything changed recently. Thanks for all the hard work!

Nothing yet. Been advised to wait a little bit till things settle down in Madison a little and the legislature gets back in session. I have hear the WDNR does not like this at all so we'll need to be very political about it. I have a legislator in mind to sponsor it but then we'll need to get others to sign on.

It'll be a while but early this fall I'll start ramping it up some. Keep an eye on this thread and get your friends to contact their legislators when the time comes. I'll provide as much background info as I can.

Moosetrot

Moosetrot-
Firstly, thank you for all the hard work you've done. I wish I'd noticed this post sooner, before I wrote mine.
What you've done is awesome, and hopefully there's some way I can help! I have just gotten into predator hunting this past fall, and can say from what I've learned, night time is easily the best time in my area to be chasing coyotes. The fact that we cannot (so far) use light to scan and safely identify our targets, is in my opinion absurd. I suppose we can thank all the irresponsible hunters in the state for that one. Anyways, not the topic!
Thank you again for all your hard work and please continue to keep us informed!!

Ryan

Glad I read this post before I unloaded on you on "Night Calling"!

The time will come when everyboy and their uncle will need to contact their elected representatives to get this over the hump. Will do my best to post any and all info on here, most likely on this thread because it has the most information.

Kind of laying in the weeds and watching the wind right now.

Moosetrot

QUESTION 74. Expand definition of artificial lights allowed for predator hunting (from resolution 160312)
(requires legislation)
Wisconsin Statute 29.314 currently restricts the use of a light for hunting coyotes, foxes, raccoons, wolves, and other
non-protected species to a flashlight at the point of kill while hunting on foot. Flashlight is defined by the statutes to
mean “a battery-operated light” which is “designed to be held and carried by hand.” Since this statute originated, many
lights designed to be mounted to the firearm or headlamps designed to be worn on the head or hat have come into the
market and in practice are being used to hunt coyotes, foxes, raccoons, wolves, and other non-protected species while
on foot at the point of kill. DNR law enforcement looks favorably on any reasonable efforts to improve safety through
better target identification consistent with the rule of firearm safety on knowing your target and what is beyond.
74. To simplify the law and bring it in line with what is commonly practiced,
do you support changes to Wisconsin State Statute ss. 29.314 (4)(b)2.,
(5)(b)2. and 3., that would allow a person to use any type of light at the
point of kill while hunting on foot raccoons, foxes, coyotes, wolves, or
other unprotected animals during the open season for the animal hunted,
and no longer limit a person to only the use of a flashlight?

I heard this one was coming and I really hope it does not confuse the issue. It's already been established by Randy Stark, the head WDNR Warden that lights on guns are considered legal.

My fear is that it will solidify the "point of kill" terminology.

If I get more info I will post it here

Moosetrot

Thank you Moosetrot for all the work you have done on this issue. When i first started predator hunting I had the dnr on speed dial asking questions on lights and point of kill. Keep us posted and I will do anything i can to help out!

Back