Wisconsin Folks-Scanning Resolution-WAAAAAAHOOOOOO!!

Okay, folks, here we go again!

The Resolution and potential question for the 2012 Spring Hearings is coming before the Executive Council of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress on Friday, January 6. They will review it and hopefully APPROVE it for inclusion in the Spring Hearings Questions that will go for statewide vote.

I plan on attending the meeting and speaking to the Resolution if questions or concerns occur. There is some hesitation by some as they think it may be construed as or thrown into the same bucket as illegal shining. I think there are enough stipulations built into the Resolution to clearly separate "Scanning" from "Shining".

Some points are....
-influx of wolves and the need to allow every opportunity to identify legal vs illegal targets.
-coyotes being identified as the most prevalent predator of deer.
-why restrict legal hunting methods to avoid those who would choose illegal methods.
-if we can trust our residents to carry uncased firearms in vehicles we certainly should be able to trust them to comply with this law when enacted.

We need to clear the hurdle (which may not be a very high one) of the Executive Council. To help this along we ought to be contacting the members of that committee and encourage them to advance the Question regarding Resolution 320311.

To contact them, go to the WDNR website. On the left is a column of links. Click on "Conservation Congress". Then scroll down to "Organizational Structure", then to "District Map and Executive Council". There you will find the names and addresses of all members of the Executive Council. If you need their emails you will need to go to "Local Delegates". I have to apologize for not being able to provide the links here to make this easier but I am a computer idiot.

This does not need to be lengthy, but we need to encourage them to move this along. I think if we can get it to a state vote we can get it done.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Will let you know how this goes.

Moosetrot

Moosetrot, I really appreciate your work on this. After talking with a warden about scanning he basically said to be aware of coyotes coming in before you turn on the light.

I wonder if it would help to have a colored light required as most jacklighters of deer aren't going to have a colored lens on their light.

I am not sure if you have heard about the big group that was just caught in Taylor county shooting dozens of deer at night.

Randy

I plan on conceding the colored light if it seems necessary to get it through. Trying to restict it the least possible at this point.

Thanks!

Moosetrot

Moosetrot,

I contacted my executive council delegates this morning to encourage them to move this resolution forward to the Spring Hearings. Thanks again for doing all the legwork on this!

Well, folks, we've gotten over another hurdle! I've been told the Executive Committee of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress approved the question concerning the scanning resolution and so it will be included in the Spring Hearings questions in April!!!!!

The Spring Hearings will be a very important step in this process. I know that some may not have been to the Spring Hearings, but this is the year to GO and take your friends, family, and anyone else you can get to vote for it. Between now and then I'll be posting some stuff on here about how its going.

In a perfect world, we'd have someone in each county ready to speak for the issue at the Spring Hearings and offer what may be an uninformed crowd info about why this ought to be approved. We will need to have a majority of the counties approving it, though.

'Nuff said for now, though! Thanks and congratulations to all of you who contacted your Conservation Congress representatives. You made a difference!

Moosetrot

That is great news Moosetrot!!
thumbup.gif

Congratulation, I was at yesterdays Wisconsion Conservation Congress Executive Committee meeting in which your resolution on shinning was passed so that it will be on the Spring hearing questionier.

Last edited:
I hope this passes. It would help make night hunting predators a lot safer and more productive. I think there's a lot of confusion out there with regards to using lights at night for those of us who hunt coyotes and fox. I've had to explain myself numerous times to folks who don't hunt at night, but hunt deer and tell me it's illegal to carry a light, etc. I'll be sure to contact my Congress Rep.

Thanks, folks but we are not out of the woods yet. We are going to need to get as many people as possible in as many counties possible voting YES for this questionat the Spring Hearings in April Some may need to speak to the issue at the Spring Hearings because there's a lot of folks out there that just do not understand night predator hunting and may confuse this with problematic deer shining.

I think what we ought to do is I think I will post the statement that I sent to all the members of the Executive Committee of the Conservation Congress prior to the January 6 meeting. It has the original Resolution as well as my rationale for allowing scaning. We can use it as a basis for discussion, suggestions, etc. concerning the issue. I think it's time we post a fresh thread to handle all this.

Does anyone know of any Wisconsin-based predator hunting organizations? We may need them for their numbers and strength. Sometimes lining up with an organization can cause things to go kind of cockeyed but I think I can handle it.

I think the best thing each of us can do right now is start talking it up to try to get as many people as possible to attend the Spring Hearings in April. I'll post the thing one here so everyone knows where I was coming from. Keep watching the GREAT WHITE NORTH Forum. In the next couple days there will be a new thread posted.

Thanks for all the help and support! We'll get it done!

Moosetrot

I was late in getting this news but want to say thanks M-trott. I have seen your posts and your work over the years both here and on other sites. You are a sportsmans friend. Your work has not gone unappriciated.

What do yout think the chances are of this becoming law even if it passes at the hearings? I can hear Randy Stark and the whole LE crowd complaning already. It just irks me to no end how we as sportsmen lack opportunites simply because it may make LE's job more difficult. That just dosen't seem right to me. I hope this all works out though, you have my vote.

defoxer-I think it stands a very good chance of becoming law. A lot of the stipulations are in there under the guidance and suggestion of a warden supervisor. All we need to do is talk it up and get folks to the Spring Hearings to vote for it. I will also be doing some more work on it behind the scenes. You'll see more about it on this forum soon.

Thanks for the compliments!!!!!

Moosetrot

If it's not too late to help out, let me know what I can do. I live over in West Central Wisconsin and am happy to commit some time to helping with this if you need any assistance.

Cheers

Here it is, folks! Now starts the countdown to the Spring Hearings on April 9 in each county in Wisconsin. Keep watching this thread for more developments and how each person can help get it passed. Start spreading the word now that it is very important to predator hunters in Wisconsin to attend the Spring Hearings and vote it in!

Moosetrot

Question 54. Use of Handheld Artificial Lights to Scan While Predator Hunting (# 320311) (requires legislation)

Coyotes, foxes, and raccoons are predator species with strong populations that have considerable impacts on other species. They are generally nocturnal and as such, one of the most effective times to hunt predators is at night. Current Wisconsin law, allows the use of an artificial light while hunting predators at the point of kill to identify the target, but does not allow “scanning” with an artificial light to locate and identify the target. With the increasing population of wolves, when hunting coyotes, it is particularly important to accurately identify the target. Some feel that allowing scanning is an efficient tool and would help hunters locate and accurately identify their target.

Do you favor legislation allowing an individual engaged in hunting coyotes, foxes, and raccoons to use handheld artificial lights to “scan” under the following stipulations:

1. The hunter must be a minimum of 200 feet from their vehicle and in compliance with state firearms discharge laws and/or local ordinances regarding firearms discharge or use of lights.

2. The hunter must be stationary and not changing their location while scanning.

3. The hunter must be using a predator call and clearly engaged in predator hunting.

4. “Scanning” may only be used during times and areas where there are no gun deer seasons in effect?

54. YES ______ NO ______

Folks-These are some of the talking points I have been using to help advance the concept. It probably would be a good idea if we are all talking the same language. Please don't think I assume to be an expert on this because I fully admit that I am not. If anyone has some more info or perspectives we can use, let's get it on here. By the time the Spring Hearings comes around we will all need to be well-versed on this and able to speak to the issue and hopefully come out with a "Yes" vote acoss the state.

Here we go...

It is time for Wisconsin predator hunters to have the ability to legally use a handheld artificial light to scan their surroundings and safely locate and identify their target while hunting during the night. Research on the topic shows that 33 states already have the ability to use artificial lights while coyote hunting in place. Of course there are varying stipulations from state to state, but only those that clearly allow this practice were counted.

I was very careful and conservative when developing the stipulations regarding "scanning" to allow for clear distinctions from those who are engaged in legal predator hunting from those who may be engaged in illegal "shining" and/or road hunting. The Warden Supervisor I worked with said he felt comfortable with these stipulations from the law enforcement standpoint. These stipulations are a "blend" taken from regulations governing light use in other states already allowing the practice.

Darkness is a very efficient period to be hunting predators, especially coyote. Night time predator hunting is practiced extensively by predator hunters in the states that already allow it, and it is a great expansion of opportunities for the hunters within those states. Most of them use red or other colored lights to prevent the game from detecting them. This clearly distinguishes legal hunters from those who generally "shine" using white flashlights or spotlights.
Hunting in the darkness, without the ability to use an artificial light to locate and identify the target species, can bring up some concerns here in Wisconsin, primarily with the expansion of the Grey Wolf population virtually throughout the state. We owe it to our predator hunters to allow them to use the tools necessary to engage in their pastime without the risk of misidentification of their target, which could be costly to the hunter, the resource, and black eye for the hunting community.

It appears that the coyote is rising to the top of studies concerning predation of the Whitetail Deer, and potentially other big game or species of concern. Coyotes are everywhere, and there is no sign of them reducing their numbers. Some say their population is already out of balance. We need the ability to use every tool within reason to help control this population.

I understand that the "use of a predator call" may lack a clear definition. This is true as a plethora of methods are used to call predators. Everything from making a "kissing sound" using your lips to extremely expensive electronic calls, and just about everything in-between are used for calling predators. Use of any of them, along with compliance with the other stipulations, clearly distinguish a person engaged in legal predator hunting from one who may be attempting to illegally shine and take game. Common sense in compliance and enforcement, while some times difficult, is going to need to prevail here.

The time has come for Wisconsin predator hunters to have the ability to use a handheld artificial light to scan the area to locate and identify their target species. The stipulations contained in Question 54 provide a good structure for compliance, safety, distinction from illegal activities, and enforcement when necessary. They require compliance with existing state law, county and local ordinances regarding the use of spotlights and/or the discharge of firearms. Our state has recently approved and trusted its citizens with the ability to transport uncased firearms within a vehicle. Certainly we need to recognize and offer such trust to those who choose to engage in legal hunting practices rather than restrict them due to the potential actions of those who would choose to engage in illegal activities.

I ask that the citizens of Wisconsin advance this concept through a “Yes” vote on Question 54 of the 2012 Spring Hearings. Doing so will be taking another step toward expansion of hunting opportunities with increased safety and efficiency for Wisconsin hunters.

Back