Wilderness Wolf Hunting

Sorry that I left out a few details. It was about 1:15 in the morning when I posted this story. All of my vocalizations (howling, barking,whining) are by mouth. No tubes, funnels or e-callers. For my style of hunting, using my voice or a hand call is much easier. I prefer to just slip in, call and slip out. The less movement,sound and scent the better, ESPECIALLY with wolves. They are incredibly wary and trotting out into a clearing to place an ecaller (while also spreading your scent) just does not make much sense to me. I cover a few hundred miles and probably make 50 stands for everytime that I even hear a wolf let alone see one. My rifle on this adventure was a stainless Ruger Alaskan in .416 with a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 scope. That scope is outstanding, particularly in low light situations and the green triangular aiming point can be seen in total darkness thanks to its fiber optic and tritium illumination. I have used this rig on everything from fish and squirrels to deer and cape buffalo. Loaded with factory Hornady 400gr DGX rounds it is a sub MOA performer. Not your typical wolf rig but in my area 200 yards would be an incredibly long shot so it worked just fine! For those that might still be shaking their heads over my choice of rifles, please know that I normally use a customized stainless Ruger Hawkeye in.308 but hey what is the point of having a cool gun if you never go out and kill something with it? Big bores and big dogs under the big sky.....Life is good! I hope all of you guys have great success this fall, be careful and good hunting.

What an incredible hunt! Congratulations to you! And what a beautiful wolf too! A dream come true. Nice write up and pictures as well. Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. I really enjoyed reading of your fantastic experience!

Quote: I have used this rig on everything from fish and squirrels to deer and cape buffalo. Loaded with factory Hornady 400gr DGX rounds it is a sub MOA performer. Not your typical wolf rig but in my area 200 yards would be an incredibly long shot so it worked just fine! For those that might still be shaking their heads over my choice of rifles, please know that I normally use a customized stainless Ruger Hawkeye in.308 but hey what is the point of having a cool gun if you never go out and kill something with it?

Great cartridge, but squirrels??? Don't suppose you have any pictures of that?
wink.gif
Wow, my son hasn't thought of squirrels yet. He loves his .4l6 and, like you, has used it on everything from turkey to elephant and is really comfortable out to 200 yds with his, as well.

He shot this turkey facing us and opened up the backbone nearly full length...lost no meat but I sure wouldn't have put any money on that from the 12-15' plume of feathers that erupted at the shot.
lol.gif
Wish I had a picture of that, but hard to take pictures with fingers in your ears. This was best I could do.

Again, great hunt, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

"Great cartridge, but squirrels??? Don't suppose you have any pictures of that? Wow, my son hasn't thought of squirrels yet. He loves his .4l6 and, like you, has used it on everything from turkey to elephant and is really comfortable out to 200 yds with his, as well."

HM1996, I don't think they'd let me post those pictures. They were however great practice for my first elephant/buffalo hunt. Small targets 10 feet off the ground at about 15-20 yards. Took the 416 for buffalo and used my .450 Nitro double rifle on the ele. Trip of a lifetime!

Sounds like a great trip.

My son is in Tanzania right now for three weeks.

I'm pretty sure I'm right that he shot his elephant w/the .416. I know he has shot all his buffalo with it. He has a 470 NE but had a couple of bugs that I don't think have been resolved yet. Terrible triggers for one thing, so I believe he left it at home.
He hunts whitetail and hogs w/the 416 every year to keep his hand in.

Assume you plan to mount your wolf; be sure to post pictures when you get it back.

Regards,
hm

I appreciated the comments. With my moose tag now filled I have until March 15th to try for a few more wolves. I just checked the harvest report this morning and mine is still the only one taken in area 100 (upper left hand corner of the state). It is definitely getting tougher! Good hunting, be safe. JCS

Is there an individual limit on wolves or a state quota?

Good luck during the rest of the season. Undoubtedly, you are living the dream. Anxiously awaiting your next conquest.

Regards,
hm

They say its better to be the wolf............sometimes.
Thanks for the excellent story. I'm either green with envy or I'm coming down with something.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Is there an individual limit on wolves or a state quota?

There are only a few areas that have quotas. The limit is 5 wolves in total per person, you can buy up to 5 tags at $19.50 each and hunt for them or if you are a certified trapper you can trap up to 5 with your trappers license. Or up to 5 in a combination of hunting and trapping. As of today this is still the only one taken in area 100 for the season. It is getting much tougher!

FWP wolf report, click on "Harvest/Quota Status".......

http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/huntingGuides/wolf/default.html

Great story and write up , cogratulations on a wonderfull and memorable experience . I hope to be able to achieve a simmilar experience someday. Thanx for sharing

Back