Why don't more of you use liquid cleaners for brass?

Smokeless

I stopped using a tumbler years ago.

I have since used C.L.R [calcium lime and rust remover], and Lime away, diluted with water, and IOSSO.

The liquid cleaners do a better job over all, and clean the inside of the case better as well.

Why come everyone still uses the tumbler? Liquid is much faster as well.

I've been reading about a mixture with "Lemi-Shine". I bought a bottle to try it out. Never thought about CLR... I wonder if the two would do well mixed?

lol.gif
..I`m thinking of a lady who died mixing two different toilet bowl cleaners
lol.gif

I am going to try some CLR or Limeaway..think I`ve got some, and plenty of dirty brass to try it on.

I have used both Lime away, and CLR full strength, but I usually use about a 25% solution with water. You can increase the strength if you need to.

1. De-prime your brass

2. Soak the brass as long as needed, 20 minutes or so.[agitate a few times]

3. Rinse the brass in water thoroughly.

4. place on a towel to air dry.

5. Prettiest brass you ever saw.

When annealing brass, I use the drill and socket method. Once annealed, I just dump my brass in a bucket of CLR solution. They finish as nice or nicer than factory brass.

If your worried about the acid, you can always rinse them in water with a little baking soda mixed in.

I use a product called "The Works" full strength on the badly discolored stuff. White vinegar with a little dish soap works too. Just don't leave it in overnight as it will turn red.

Originally Posted By: Smokeless
When annealing brass, I use the drill and socket method.

Hey Smokeless, have not tried annealing brass yet but what you said really peeked my interest but I don't understand the "drill & socket method". mind expanding on that a little?

Thanks
Will

Originally Posted By: SmokelessLet 'em dry.

I have tried the oven method, sun dried, etc... Just dont like the hassle. I do use the Birtchwood Casey cleaner on my really tough stuff that needs inside cleaning but very seldom. Also my big brass (.50 Cal) will sometimes get spots. I've tried the special water but not worth the hassle for me. Just too easy to tumble, roll in a towel, and be done with it. When I want super shiney brass I just let it tumble for a whole day. Considered getting the steel pins setup but feel like it would be even a bigger hassle. Just assume to keep all liquids away from my reloading bench (except a diet Coke or two).

Originally Posted By: Will LeeOriginally Posted By: Smokeless

Hey Smokeless, have not tried annealing brass yet but what you said really peeked my interest but I don't understand the "drill & socket method". mind expanding on that a little?

Thanks
Will

I believe most methods are covered here.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

Originally Posted By: venaticOriginally Posted By: Will LeeOriginally Posted By: Smokeless

Thanks
Will

I believe most methods are covered here.

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html

WOW!

Thank a bunch for the link.
Will

Ok, I cleaned up a bunch of 9mm brass today. I didn`t have any CLR or Lime Away on hand so I used a mixture of 1 tablespoon of oxyclean and half tablespoon of Tide Detergent with ~1/2 gallon of water. This solution worked pretty darn good.I cleaned several small batches(200pcs?) this way, in a semi transparent icecream container and you could see the solution doing its thing. After a couple batches the solution lost it`s effectiveness.
Later in the afternoon the wife made a trip to the store so she grabbed me both CLR & Limeaway-spray. I cleaned one batch with the CLR and it produced the shiniest brass, however some pcs. had a redish color on them, and I`m guessing it was some of the more tarnished/dirty pcs.
Spent a good portion of the day de-primiming and washing, so called it quits; but for sure I will be using this method for the range brass I get. Good way to spend the day considering it`s raining out...got a third of a 5 gal. bucket thats clean enough to load.(like the 1/2 bucket I allready had cleaned wasn`t enough..
lol.gif
crazy.gif
)

Originally Posted By: Will LeeOriginally Posted By: Smokeless

Thanks
Will

If you read the link that Venatic posted, I use Rich DeSimone's aproach. That is at the end of the 6mm BR article

Originally Posted By: HookedOk, I cleaned up a bunch of 9mm brass today. I didn`t have any CLR or Lime Away on hand so I used a mixture of 1 tablespoon of oxyclean and half tablespoon of Tide Detergent with ~1/2 gallon of water. This solution worked pretty darn good.I cleaned several small batches(200pcs?) this way, in a semi transparent icecream container and you could see the solution doing its thing. After a couple batches the solution lost it`s effectiveness.
Later in the afternoon the wife made a trip to the store so she grabbed me both CLR & Limeaway-spray. I cleaned one batch with the CLR and it produced the shiniest brass, however some pcs. had a redish color on them, and I`m guessing it was some of the more tarnished/dirty pcs.
Spent a good portion of the day de-primiming and washing, so called it quits; but for sure I will be using this method for the range brass I get. Good way to spend the day considering it`s raining out...got a third of a 5 gal. bucket thats clean enough to load.(like the 1/2 bucket I allready had cleaned wasn`t enough..
lol.gif
crazy.gif
)

What strength did you mix the CLR?

Did you try the Lime away at all?

The reddish or "rose" color usually does comes from heavy tarnish, especially brass that have laid in the dirt for a rain storm or two.

All in all are you happy with the process?

Back