Why don't more of you use liquid cleaners for brass?

I did not use the CLR as strong as recommended...I would guess 3:1 water to cleaner.
No I didn`t try the Lime away yet.
Yes, some of the brass had laid in the dirt for a rainstorm or two..lol..it was worth the money just for the .223 Rem brass.

All in all I`m thrilled with how well it works. Compared to the first bunch I cleaned using a tumbler this was much less work. I will still use my tumbler for the new brass I use that will never be as dirty. But for this 9mm brass that I will have no intentions of reusing again, this is the ticket!

Originally Posted By: shanedoggdooesnt tumbled brass still need cleaned of the media or am i confused.....never tumbled....
Only certain kinds..like Lyman Tufnut because the media gets lodged in the primer hole and must be picked out..PIA.
Other medias that are more fine don`t have media get stuck in the primer pocket hole but can create a lot of dust in the tumbler..I just use compressed air to blow them off..no problem.

Update; used the Lime Away today and was even more impressed with the results compared to CLR. The Lime Away even cleaned the primer pocket crud out plus the brass was a little brighter yet.

Originally Posted By: Hooked Update; used the Lime Away today and was even more impressed with the results compared to CLR. The Lime Away even cleaned the primer pocket crud out plus the brass was a little brighter yet.

This has been my experience as well. The Lime Away must be rinsed more thoroughly, it sticks to the cases more, but works wonders.

You can use it un-diluted, but about a 50-50 mix makes it go farther, but takes a bit longer. [which isn't long BTW] Yes, dilute with water.

Yes just lime away and water 2:1 ratio approx.
I wanted to post a picture but my daughter seems to have mis-placed the camera.
As mentioned rinse thoroughly, and if your in a hurry to get them dry; I rolled them around on a old bath towell (after rinsing) then put in the oven on a (now dedicated)cookie sheet. I heated the oven first to 150 deg. then shut it off, then put them in with the door slightly opened. The brass got pretty warm but I think no warmer than a .308 case if you tried to catch it just being ejected

I mixed some once a year car polish in the media, set a lamp timer and walk away. Dumpit all is a separater whenever I get to it and call it done. No dust, clean brass, no waiting to dry. It's not exactly hard
confused.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NdIndyI mixed some once a year car polish in the media, set a lamp timer and walk away. Dumpit all is a separater whenever I get to it and call it done. No dust, clean brass, no waiting to dry. It's not exactly hard
confused.gif

I'm glad that works for you.

However, reading your post is more difficult than using Lime-Away or CLR. JMO

Originally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: Will LeeOriginally Posted By: Smokeless
When annealing brass, I use the drill and socket method.

Hey Smokeless, have not tried annealing brass yet but what you said really peeked my interest but I don't understand the "drill & socket method". mind expanding on that a little?

Thanks
Will

If you read the link that Venatic posted, I use Rich DeSimone's aproach. That is at the end of the 6mm BR article

Thanks smokeless, did read the article and am about to go down that path.

I use walnut also and a used dryer sheet with a touch of brass polish(your choice) the dryer sheet picks up what little dust the walnut creates.

Originally Posted By: Will LeeOriginally Posted By: SmokelessOriginally Posted By: Will LeeOriginally Posted By: Smokeless
When annealing brass, I use the drill and socket method.

Hey Smokeless, have not tried annealing brass yet but what you said really peeked my interest but I don't understand the "drill & socket method". mind expanding on that a little?

Thanks
Will

If you read the link that Venatic posted, I use Rich DeSimone's aproach. That is at the end of the 6mm BR article

Thanks smokeless, did read the article and am about to go down that path.

Post your results, it is simple, yet effective.

Many of us like clean brass AND polished brass and nothing but nothing will do it as well as Thumbler's Tumbler, a couple of pounds of stainless shot, and a gallon of water with a couple of squirts of dishwashing soap. Most times I will add a half teaspoon of Lemi Shine as well. It's a bit of a mess but well worth the results.

All the little scratches in the brass are gone. Primer pockets aint been so clean since they were new. I even enjoy doing it.

It may sound strange but I soak mine in apple cider vinegar for about 30mins to an hour , wash them in water and let dry. If I want them super shiny then I toss them into my tumbler with corn cob media with a small cap full of nu finish liquid car polish.

Has worked well for yrs.

Originally Posted By: lyotehunternothing i have ever used worked like stainless and lemi shine,actually a lot less trouble and far cleaner brass

I understand what you "tumbler" guys are saying, but have you actually used CLR or Limeaway? Or are you just saying what does work for you?

I have had several different tumblers. I still have the Tumblers tumbler. On really bad brass, the tumbler is the best with stainless, but I don't make a habit of running really bad brass. I maintain "good" brass, and the liquid cleaners do that with less effort. IMO

Back