Which trigger

I like 2 stage in an ar. If you got the coin go for the dmr from Geissele.
On the lower end but still darn good triggers is the RRA National Match Varmint or the LaRue mbt2 . Both are around a hundred bucks.

I installed the two Timneys I have a long time back and had forgotten the two screws! Bet that is same problem bob is having. Go to 3:25 in video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" title="TIMNEY TRIGGERS AR 15 Platform Installation Instructions" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Install was per Timney instructions to the letter

I'd fuss @ Timney. Never had any reason to check out their CS, but I'd bet they'll be happy to make it right??????

Im on my third rise armament trigger. The first just died little pieces of spring laying in it they sent me a new one that one felt like it was 10 lbs. called them they sent me another one and I have a bad taste in my mouth from them and now I won’t use it. I have a cmc 2.5lb and I like that one nothing to write home about though. Also have a Davidson defense 2.5lb trigger and that one is decent too. I had the opportunity to shoot a rifle with a two stage trigger tech in it and after having ho hum triggers that one is something to write home about wow. My next one will be a trigger tech.

Another vote for the Geissele SSA-E.

I've had several double taps off a led sled or bags and really feathering the trigger when trying to be as accurate as possible. Never had more than 2 go off though.

I have a couple of of 3 pound Timneys and a couple of CMC 2.5 pound single stage triggers. They ALL brake around 2.5 pounds and ALL have creep.
That's interesting. I have two 2.5lb and four 3-3.5lb CMC triggers in AR's now. On my dig. Lyman trigger scale the 2.5's break right at 2.5 lbs and the 3-3.5's all go right at 3-3.1 and none of my six have any creep at all. Mine are all single stage.

I installed a Franklin Armory binary trigger in one of my lowers and it was actually a nice single stage trigger when selected for single shot function.

I had to get rid of it when FL outlawed any trigger mods but it would rock and roll once you learned how to use it.

This is the sales restriction posted on their website........

Not for civilian sales in: CA, CT, DC, DE, FL, HI, IA, IL, MD, NJ, NY, RI, and WA

Last edited:
That's interesting. I have two 2.5lb and four 3-3.5lb CMC triggers in AR's now. On my dig. Lyman trigger scale the 2.5's break right at 2.5 lbs and the 3-3.5's all go right at 3-3.1 and none of my six have any creep at all. Mine are all single stage.
Wish mine didn't

I prefer 2 stage triggers and have been using SSA-E for years. However for a recent 6arc build I decided to try a Hiperfire and went with an X2S mod three. So far it is outstanding. Love the trigger shoe.

I have...
Q Litterally the Best Trigger Ever Made
Trigger Tech Diamond Single Stage
4 drop in single stage (unbranded)
an Armalite NM 2 Stage with 3lb spring kit
a MilSpec with a 3lb spring kit worked on by Bill Springfield

Crazy thing is the unbranded drop ins are excellent. I need to actually weigh them. Super Short reset and a positive CLUNK when it resets.
I love the TT and the Q, but the reset is almost too light or short or both. It's almost like you're looking for it when you release.
The Armalite NM is nice, but it doesn't blow my mine...pretty over priced IMO.

Install was per Timney instructions to the letter
get ahold of timney, let them know whats going on.

i had a problem with mine doubling once in a while when i first went suppressed. i was running 3oz carbine buffers at the time because i was previously shooting subs in my 16" 300 blackout upper unsuppressed.

they had me switch to a H2 buffer and send me a set of upgraded springs - trigger, hammer and disconnector - (mine are older timneys) and i've never had a problem since. they also included a red hammer spring to ensure ignition consistency with military grade primers too.

if i recall correctly - they said that when AR's are over gassed, the bolt carrier speed gets just a bit too fast & the disconnector spring just doesnt have time engage the disconnector to catch the hammer. so a quick spring upgrade (takes about 10 mins to take one apart and reassemble if you have any experience installing AR triggers) and a subtle buffer weight change and you're golden. you could also use an AGB.

timney gave me the option of doing the spring upgrades myself or sending the triggers in for service.

hth

You have so many good options for triggers that it can be difficult to choose. I've been really happy with two stage Geissele triggers in 3 of my AR's that feel great and have worked well. I've put timey's in a couple bolt actions and a trigger tech in another bolt action and they have all worked well.

Bought a Larue Mbt2s two stage on sale and have been using it for a year now. It works good enough to shoot well and I haven't missed any coyotes other than one, which i believe i shot over or under it because i didn't know the bullet drop on the scope.
+1

I guess I'm the odd man out, but years ago I installed Rock River 2-stage triggers in all of my ARs and they have worked flawlessly. They break cleanly and are plenty light enough for hunting.
Back in 2010-2012 The RRA 2-stage Varmint blue card only came with .156" pins. It was a good trigger but the large pins went in hard and it did stretch out the pin holes a little.
We found that the Larue Mbt2s were as good if not a little bit better then the blue card and you still had .154" pins and back in that day the blue card was $120 and the Larue was $85-$88 when they first came out with their Mbt2s.

Last edited:
Back