Which trigger

bob123

What triggers do you all prefer a single or double trigger
not sure which one to get
my Timney trigger goes auto on me and shoot 3 shot bursts which is not supposed to happen

In AR’s my Timneys (Calvin Elite) all did the double tap thing, so I got rid of em.

With single stage, Calvin Elite Timney trigger groups, I think what’s actually happening is your bump firing the rifle. The Calvin Elites are only about a pound and a half and after a bit of recoil your shoulder pushes the gun forward, your finger is still on the trigger and boom another shot is fired. Happened to me on three different Timney CE’s. I gave up on em.

Im now using TriggerTech two stage triggers. They have a very short take up first stage and break at 1.5 pounds. Although it is a very short take up first stage, you can still feel it with gloves on. So far so good.

Have two of the competition triggers in hunting AR's. Have had no doubling with them. I think you have something on the bump firing, possibility, though.

I have a dozen or more Timney and Velocity 3-lb. triggers. I've never had a double or more.

If you lube those type triggers in any way, they will in fact double, Timney even warns of it.

I prefer a single-stage trigger.

no bump firing
at one point it actually emptied a 30 round mag
two stage or single preferences on that?

Dumped a 30-round mag...?

I'd have to had witnessed that to believe it.

ETA- obviously if anyone understands how the FCG of the AR works they know this is HIGHLY doubtful. This insinuates the lack of a functioning disconnect means FA fun... if it were that simple, lots of people would be having FA fun by simply removing the disconnect... and if you know the AR15 then you know what the results of that are.

My Rise Armament 140 went full auto on me during load work, luckily only doing 3 shots increments.

The 1st time, I had fired one shot, wrote the velocity down, fired the 2nd, & both 2 & 3 fired. WTH????

So I went to the next increment, and all three burped !!!!

Came home & called them up, & I was told to make sure the two screws on the top side of the housing are tightened down.

They had worked their way out a bit, so I snugged them back down, & all is good.

After that, I did buy two Trigger Tech Diamond singe stage triggers for my other two AR's.

Go to 2:50 for the screw tightening.....

Dumped a 30-round mag...?

I'd have to had witnessed that to believe it.

ETA- obviously if anyone understands how the FCG of the AR works they know this is HIGHLY doubtful. This insinuates the lack of a functioning disconnect means FA fun... if it were that simple, lots of people would be having FA fun by simply removing the disconnect... and if you know the AR15 then you know what the results of that are.
really makes no differnce if you believe me or not
this is the second rifle I tried it in and the same results first 3 shots the at some point full auto
not saying it will do it again but I am not going to give it an opportunity to do so
I prefer single stage triggers but have a double in another Ar-15 platform and in another that I built a single
for sure one thing staying away from Timney triggers for AR's

I have CMC single stage drop in triggers, some are 2.5lb others are there 3-3.5lb, in all my AR's and I have no complaints. You can usually find them in the $125-$135 range. You can spend a lot more and depending on your intended use the more expensive AR triggers may be better but for my use I've been very happy with all of the CMC triggers I have.

My Rise Armament 140 went full auto on me during load work, luckily only doing 3 shots increments.

The 1st time, I had fired one shot, wrote the velocity down, fired the 2nd, & both 2 & 3 fired. WTH????

So I went to the next increment, and all three burped !!!!

Came home & called them up, & I was told to make sure the two screws on the top side of the housing are tightened down.

They had worked their way out a bit, so I snugged them back down, & all is good.

After that, I did buy two Trigger Tech Diamond singe stage triggers for my other two AR's.

Go to 2:50 for the screw tightening.....

I installed the two Timneys I have a long time back and had forgotten the two screws! Bet that is same problem bob is having. Go to 3:25 in video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" title="TIMNEY TRIGGERS AR 15 Platform Installation Instructions" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a couple of of 3 pound Timneys and a couple of CMC 2.5 pound single stage triggers. They ALL brake around 2.5 pounds and ALL have creep. They all work fine. I’ve double tapped one of them once because imo of doing a light trigger pull and not pulling back till the trigger stops traveling.

Bought a Larue Mbt2s two stage on sale and have been using it for a year now. It works good enough to shoot well and I haven't missed any coyotes other than one, which i believe i shot over or under it because i didn't know the bullet drop on the scope.

I cut my teeth on Milsurp Springfield/Mauser 2 stage triggers. Then shot service rifles (M1 & M1 Carbine) for years but the commercial rifles acquired more recently all have single stage triggers so switch out AR's to the Timney 3# single stage for uniformity. Great hunting trigger, never had any issues with them.

Back