What's wrong with the 222 sorry guys long read

devildogg

Oh boy there are so many new and improved latest and greatest cartridges out there right now which really is cool like for instance the wssm family 17hmr 204 ruger 17hh the list goes on. I'm honestly glad im alive and well in these times it's kind of exciting there is lots of cool stuff out there. But sometimes alot of people get to caught up in what they should have and will this work and the this vs this. Well I won't lie to you guys but I get caught up in all the hype too I I've got electronic callers and bipods and ar15 in a 223 and 204 and the list goes on. But when my dad took me out hunting fox when I was a little boy he had one call and one gun a scotch call and a sako 17 and I gave me his old sako vixen 222. And we killed hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of fox and coyotes with those two guns and two scotch calls. I love my tripple duce and would never part with it. It is one of the most accurate cartridges of all time and has won more shooting matches than any other. Ya it's not a speed demon like a 204 or 17 rem but with light 40 or 35 gr pills it's moving along pretty good I've always shot 52 gr pills at around 3100fps and that's pretty good. I guess what I'm getting at is some of you guys that are looking for a small center fire cartridge that is about as accurate as any other rifle out there check out the old tripple Duce you won't be disappointed.

I agree, sometimes the oldies but goodies get overlooked in favor of the new kid on the block. But variety is the spice of life. That said I love my deuce, one of my favorites

Being a 222 owner and fan I gotta agree with ya but I have a news flash.
The 17Rem ain't no spring chicken either.

Had one many, many, many years ago in a Savage Anshutez, looked like a small Weatherby. I have been looking for one just like it for years but finally gave up on finding one.
cry.gif

Great cartridge.

I have a Vixen here in 222 mag I've yet to handload for.

My last Vixen was a "standard" 222, and probably the most accurate factory rifle I've known.........

There is nothing wrong with a .222 at all. A few years ago I was looking for one but you don't see anyone making them anymore. I had to settle on a bolt action .223 but it never let me down.

I have always been a fan of the 222 since I had a barrel for my TCR-83. I shot a hornady 50gr SX with BLC-2 and could actually see the hits in the scope and it was all over for me.

I was shooting BR when the 6ppc overtook the 222 and it was good move.

I still use 222 for varmints but also use 6ppc so I get the best of both worlds.

devildogg,
I had a Rem. 722 in 222 Rem in the early 60's and my brother and I went halfzees on it. We didn't have much money in those days so I had a Bausch & Lomb scope on my Win. Mod. 70 and it was a Bal-Var 2.5 to 8x. They didn't have internal adjustments, you sighted it in with the mount. The idea was you could have two or more mounts on different rifles and you would just pull the scope off of one and put it on the other rifle and it would be sighted in cause the mount was already sighted in. For the most part it was but sometimes a little off. Well thats what we did. I had another mount on the Rem. 222 and we switched it for Ghogs in the summer.
I wish I never sold that 222. They are one fine caliber.

Originally Posted By: devildoggYep Repete the 17 is by no means a spring chicken and is one of my favorites.

Yep,,, I love em both.
Matter of fact, that's the only two varmint calibers I own any more.
I do have the 17 in a few different chamberings though.

Nope not in new Mexico in nd gonna be really close to new Mexico in 2 days. I'm headed for Uvalde tx to do some hog huntin and some predator hunting.

Nothing at all wrong with the .222- it was just eclipsed by the adoption of the .223 as a military round. It's sort of like the .300 Savage and .308 Winchester- history just overtook them is all.

After 25 years of predator calling, I can count on 1 hand the number of coyotes I've killed that couldn't have been handled by a .222. I own 2 different .222 rifles (a Rem 700 BDL Varmint and a Sako 75 Deluxe), yet I have never taken either one of them coyote calling even though they are both extremely accurate. I remember Midway having a sale on Win. 222 brass probably 20 years ago (wowww, remember the days when reloading brass actually went on sale?), and I bought 500 pieces. 400+ pieces of that brass have never been reloaded even now.
I guess the answer to the question is that there always seems to be a newer, sexier, faster, caliber of rifle (or woman) that just moved into the neighborhood. Being men, we just can't resist these Sirens!!!

I learned to hunt varmints with my dad's Sako .222 and it is and always has been my favorite rifle on earth.

Extremely smooth action, and accurate as I could comprehend at the time. One of these days I'm going to pry it from his cold fingers.

In the mean time I scored a Sako single shot in .22 PPC. Stunningly accurate, hands down my favorite firearm that I own. One of these days my youngest son will pry it from my cold fingers.

There's NOTHING wrong with .222

In his book, Gerry Blair says the .222 is probably the ideal calling caliber east of the Mississippi. He's probably right.

Love the ol' cartridge! Back when I got into shooting 20yrs ago I always had a desire to own the 222 cuz of the proven accuracy of the cartridge and nobody I knew had one. I always want something different. I have a Win 70 mod 70HV in 222 that is an absolute blast to shoot. Probably never sell that rifle.

Back