What would you call a long range caliber

.308 and 7 Mag are what I use both will do 1K. IMO anything less than 500 yards is not long range for target or hunting.

Originally Posted By: nightcaller
sounds like someone reads too much and understands too little. i know the feeling, i was that way for all 6 years of high school, but my GED was graspable with a little effort!

i've had this discussion with me, myself and I a few times and my wife is getting sick of the three of us always argueing. but ok i'll run the numbers one more time just for you.

energy is mute in a conversation assuming coyotes, and smaller game, are the target.

lets compare two common loads from the .243 to see how your high BC bullets give the claimed advantage:
-70gr sierra blitzking (love this load for coyotes)
BC: .299
3535fps
500 yard drop: 7.66moa (40.12")
5 mph wind: 2.05moa (10.7")

-115 Berger VLD
BC: .545 (pretty impressive!)
2900 fps
500 yard drop: 9.94moa (52.09")
5 mph wind: 1.34moa (7")

i'm not going to give a full analysis of the results; i'll let everyone decipher them for themselves. but.....maybe you should rethink your claims about the high
BC bullets at that range. they do nothing for you! me and myself win this arguement quite often and I hates losing it. although we all agree that after about 650yds the benefits of the high BC really exposes itself to you. (in a good way.... i enjoy it anyway!) Instead of being a condescending punk, try being intellectually honest in regards to the initial conversation (.243 vs. .22/250) and compare your typical 50 grain .22/250 bullet to the .243's 100gr or 115gr Berger and post the results - and try using those numbers as some sort of proof to refute my claim that the .243 was way better than the .22/250 for long range killing.

Originally Posted By: nightcallerOriginally Posted By: MO1Originally Posted By: nightcalleri'd like to know why you think the .243 is "much better" for his application; because i disagree. which of the two calibers are you currently shooting to those ranges?

It's much better because you're able to shoot 100 to 115 grain bullets with a much higher ballistic coefficient and carry much more energy to the target. Light bullets suck at long range, getting blown all over by wind.

It's not even a comparison really, the .243 is in a differentl league when it comes to longer range ability. Run some numbers and see for yourself - or better yet do some long range shooting with each and you'll see it firsthand.

sounds like someone reads too much and understands too little. i know the feeling, i was that way for all 6 years of high school, but my GED was graspable with a little effort!

i've had this discussion with me, myself and I a few times and my wife is getting sick of the three of us always argueing. but ok i'll run the numbers one more time just for you.

energy is mute in a conversation assuming coyotes, and smaller game, are the target.

lets compare two common loads from the .243 to see how your high BC bullets give the claimed advantage:
-70gr sierra blitzking (love this load for coyotes)
BC: .299
3535fps
500 yard drop: 7.66moa (40.12")
5 mph wind: 2.05moa (10.7")

-115 Berger VLD
BC: .545 (pretty impressive!)
2900 fps
500 yard drop: 9.94moa (52.09")
5 mph wind: 1.34moa (7")

i'm not going to give a full analysis of the results; i'll let everyone decipher them for themselves. but.....maybe you should rethink your claims about the high
BC bullets at that range. they do nothing for you! me and myself win this arguement quite often and I hates losing it. although we all agree that after about 650yds the benefits of the high BC really exposes itself to you. (in a good way.... i enjoy it anyway!)

You been out in the cold to long? At 500yards the 115 gr is over 100fps faster and almost double the energy and at 1000 yards the 115 gr is 383fps faster with 354ft lbs more and 25.9 inches less drop. Go thaw your brain.

I just found better data on the 115gr with .585 bc and it is way flatter than the 70gr at 500yrds. starting at 3150fps it is only 37.9 inches low at 500yrds

we could go on for days about cals., trajectory and B.C., but as far as optics imo, the higher the better, shot many a preds on 6x at 15 yds, and a few big game animals at 20x at 100 or so yrds, i want to see right were that bullet is going...never have exp."all i can see is fur in the scope", call me crazy , but i can make out pretty much a whole yote at 15 yrds on 6x.....

Got a couple of live ones on this thread!

The op said that he considers a "long shot" to be 400 yds. I love it when someone turns a discussion around and gives data for 1000 yd shots when I have a max distance threshold of 500yds and the op was 400.

I'm simply showing the lack of advantage of a high bc bullet at the ranges that were given on coyote sized animals.

And 264wm do you use a chronograph? All of your info has been from the internet. Anyone that states "I just found better info" appears to be cruising the net for an opinion because he can't formulate his own.

You guys are actually correct with the majority of your info but way off subject. You're giving answers that aren't pertinent to the question.

And if intellectual honesty is comparing a 50 gr 22cal varmint bullet to a 115vld .6mm bullet then obama has found his intellectual honesty czar in MO1! (I don't think I could concieve a statement of that level of hypocrisy if I really tried; lost all credibility with that one)

Originally Posted By: nightcallerGot a couple of live ones on this thread!

The op said that he considers a "long shot" to be 400 yds. I love it when someone turns a discussion around and gives data for 1000 yd shots when I have a max distance threshold of 500yds and the op was 400.

I'm simply showing the lack of advantage of a high bc bullet at the ranges that were given on coyote sized animals.

And 264wm do you use a chronograph? All of your info has been from the internet. Anyone that states "I just found better info" appears to be cruising the net for an opinion because he can't formulate his own.

You guys are actually correct with the majority of your info but way off subject. You're giving answers that aren't pertinent to the question.

And if intellectual honesty is comparing a 50 gr 22cal varmint bullet to a 115vld .6mm bullet then obama has found his intellectual honesty czar in MO1! (I don't think I could concieve a statement of that level of hypocrisy if I really tried; lost all credibility with that one)

Like I said you need to get out of the cold as I never compared the 22cal to the 243 only 243 to 243 using your own 243 bullet weights 70gr and 115gr http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanedoggwe could go on for days about cals., trajectory and B.C., but as far as optics imo, the higher the better, shot many a preds on 6x at 15 yds, and a few big game animals at 20x at 100 or so yrds, i want to see right were that bullet is going...never have exp."all i can see is fur in the scope", call me crazy , but i can make out pretty much a whole yote at 15 yrds on 6x.....

High magnification is over rated. I can make out nostrils and whiskers on a fox at 300 with a scope set on 10x. Your visual is like a 1x reddot or peep a 30 and I don't know anyone that needs more than 1x at 30. More can actually hinder your hunt. Personally, I'm fine with a 3-9x out to 500 yards on predators. Go look out the window and tell me a coyote isn't plenty big at even 50 yards. Whether me or my gun is up to the task is another matter entirely.

CB

Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceOriginally Posted By: shanedoggwe could go on for days about cals., trajectory and B.C., but as far as optics imo, the higher the better, shot many a preds on 6x at 15 yds, and a few big game animals at 20x at 100 or so yrds, i want to see right were that bullet is going...never have exp."all i can see is fur in the scope", call me crazy , but i can make out pretty much a whole yote at 15 yrds on 6x.....

High magnification is over rated. I can make out nostrils and whiskers on a fox at 300 with a scope set on 10x. Your visual is like a 1x reddot or peep a 30 and I don't know anyone that needs more than 1x at 30. More can actually hinder your hunt. Personally, I'm fine with a 3-9x out to 500 yards on predators. Go look out the window and tell me a coyote isn't plenty big at even 50 yards. Whether me or my gun is up to the task is another matter entirely.

CB

Check out Bushnells 6500 Elite 4.5 to 30 50mm on all powers great field of view and 4.5 is great in close. I have shot with peep many years and a peep will never come close to this scope.

Ballistic Performance: 375 ALLEN MAG
Bullet Weight: 350 gr. Sierra Matchking @ 3300 fps, 500 yard zero, 10 mph

Yardage velocity wind drift Energy TOF(sec)
600 2660 fps 11.0" 5499 ft/lb 0.607
1000 2281 32.7" 4043 1.095
1400 1936 69.2" 2912 1.665
1800 1625 124" 2051 2.343
2200 1358 202" 1432 3.152
2600 1154 308" 1034 4.116
2800 1082 371" 910 4.656

Recommended Uses: Big Game Hunting is the major purpose for the 375 Allen Magnum but with the larger bore diameter it also has found some use in extreme range target shooting. Like its smaller caliber brother 338 A.M., the 375 Allen Magnum is extremely effective for big game hunting at long to extreme range. With the larger frontal area and heavier bullet weight, the 375 A.M. is suitable for the heaviest big game animals and its especially suited for hunting elk, moose and similiar size big game at ranges past 1000 yards. It also is well suited for smaller big game species at any supersonic velocity range but it is better suited toward heavier game species.

Effective Range: With its primary bullet, the 350 gr. Sierra Matchking, the 375 Allen Magnum will sustain supersonic velocity to a range of roughly 2800 yards give or take slightly depending on elevation. With the weight and diameter of this bullet, the 375 Allen Magnum will easily harvest medium big game at any supersonic range assuming the hunter has the ability to put the bullet through the vital area of the target animal. Even if bullet expansion is minimal, the 375 caliber projectile is very effective at cleanly harvesting big game because of its large frontal area and large amount of tissue displacement., For heavier game, its recommended to keep shots to to less then 1 mile (1760 yards) simply because of bullet time of flight and not nessesarily because of lack of terminal performance at longer distances.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris_BriceOriginally Posted By: shanedoggwe could go on for days about cals., trajectory and B.C., but as far as optics imo, the higher the better, shot many a preds on 6x at 15 yds, and a few big game animals at 20x at 100 or so yrds, i want to see right were that bullet is going...never have exp."all i can see is fur in the scope", call me crazy , but i can make out pretty much a whole yote at 15 yrds on 6x.....

your from the east, im from the west, hence are different taste in magnification....i will agree w/ "wether me or my gun is up for the task is another matter entirely"....

CB

Originally Posted By: LUCKYDOG22LR Ackley Improved. It will poke holes at 1000 yards.

Maybe at 1640 yards as the box states danger range 1 mile

What is long range for one is a stones throw for others.
200 to 300 yards is a long shot for anyone, period. I'm saying off hand and no kind of rest involved. Sure, there are alot of shooters who can do it. I'm not one.

A person who drags his rifle out of the safe once a year and goes to the range before hunting season and shoots at 100 to 200 yards with, say 5 rounds, has no business shooting at game over about 300 yards maximum. I don't care if he is shoot a 50 caliber. The biggest thing is practice.
All of us, or most of us, on this forum shoot more than the average "SHOOTER", therefore we know our firearm.

Sure, the rifle may be able to shoot long range distances out to 2 miles (exaggerated), but if the shooter can't do it then there is no point going past 250 yards max.

Most people, and I am one of them, can't judge distance to any degree of accuracy. What one says is 500 yards is in more reality 200 to 250.

Long range means PRACTICE + 10.

This is just my opinion and mine alone,

Tony

Originally Posted By: shanedoggOriginally Posted By: Chris_BriceOriginally Posted By: shanedoggwe could go on for days about cals., trajectory and B.C., but as far as optics imo, the higher the better, shot many a preds on 6x at 15 yds, and a few big game animals at 20x at 100 or so yrds, i want to see right were that bullet is going...never have exp."all i can see is fur in the scope", call me crazy , but i can make out pretty much a whole yote at 15 yrds on 6x.....

your from the east, im from the west, hence are different taste in magnification....i will agree w/ "wether me or my gun is up for the task is another matter entirely"....

CB

I hunt the CA desert and I prefer to keep my 1.5-5x20 set on 2 for open country. I can remove the head from jacks at 300 on 5x. In the chapparel around my house 15 yards is a long shot and I never take the scope off 1.5 in chapparel I started with 4.5-14 and just keep going down down down. Optics are just a matter of opinion and compromise.

going back to the OP question... he is comparing information from ammo boxes...BUT... this information is probably NOT with the same GRAIN weight of bullet. You must consider each caliber's bullet grain weight to compare apples to apples. And to make it really fair.. you have to consider the same twist rate and barrel length. Heavier bullets will hold up longer and buck the wind better.... but what is the REAL DIFFERANCE when shooting ONLY up to 400 yds...?

Let's start this whole post all over again...but using ONLY the 400 yd range...being sighted dead on at 200yds.

What caliber and bullet weight... and optics would be best for shooting up to 400 yds... without alot of holdover...the best col. that will buck the wind as well.

I think this is what he is getting at.... or maybe I'm out in the cold as well...LOL.

Another good point is... what rifle will shoot good enough for the avarage guy to be able to hit a 300-400 yd coyote target... off shooting sticks or bipod during a hunting situation. When a coyote is running across country with his tail on fire, and your waiting for it to stop for that long distance shot... and not taking the time to range it, unless you have a partner doing it for you... it's all a guess or a feel for the shot. This is where the flattest shooting... wind bucking setup would really shine.

Shooting at the bench is only step one... what is the BEST setup for hunting shots in the field when heart raising shots are taken between 250-400 yds.

Now that would be the PERFECT SETUP for me..,what is it...?

7mm WSM 140 Grain Berger or if you want to spend more money a 7mm Dakota. Drop would be a little over 3" at 400 yds with a 200 yd zero.

Originally Posted By: RTLOF18918B What is long range for one is a stones throw for others.
200 to 300 yards is a long shot for anyone, period. I'm saying off hand and no kind of rest involved. Sure, there are alot of shooters who can do it. I'm not one.

A person who drags his rifle out of the safe once a year and goes to the range before hunting season and shoots at 100 to 200 yards with, say 5 rounds, has no business shooting at game over about 300 yards maximum. I don't care if he is shoot a 50 caliber. The biggest thing is practice.
All of us, or most of us, on this forum shoot more than the average "SHOOTER", therefore we know our firearm.

Sure, the rifle may be able to shoot long range distances out to 2 miles (exaggerated), but if the shooter can't do it then there is no point going past 250 yards max.

Most people, and I am one of them, can't judge distance to any degree of accuracy. What one says is 500 yards is in more reality 200 to 250.

Long range means PRACTICE + 10.

This is just my opinion and mine alone,

Tony

This is a load that I am going to work on as soon as I can find some of the 107gr sierras. This will be very flat to 400.

+----------------------------- Program Inputs ---------------------------------+
| |
+---- Bullet Inputs -----+----Atmosphere Inputs ----+-------Sight Inputs ------+
| Caliber: 0.264 inches | Temperature: 59 degrees | Sight Height: 1.5 inches |
| Weight: 107 grains | Pressure: 29.92 inHg | Zero Range: 335 yards |
| G7 BC: 0.430 lb/in^2 | Humidity: 0 % | Look Angle: 0 degrees |
| G7 Form Factor: 0.510 | Density: 0.07647 lb/ft^3 | |
| MZL Velocity: 3800 fps| Wind Speed: 10 mph | |
| | Wind Direction: 3 O'clock| |
+------------------------+--------------------------+--------------------------+

+----------------------------- Program Output ---------------------------------+
Range---Velocity----Energy-----Trajectory------TOF-------Drift
(yards)----(fps)-----(ft-lb)-----(inches)-------(sec)------(inches)
--0------3800--------3431______-1.50--------0.0000------0.00
-50------3739--------3322--------0.59--------0.0398_____-0.06
100------3679--------3215--------2.06--------0.0802_____-0.23
150------3618--------3110--------2.89--------0.1213_____-0.52
200------3558--------3008--------3.05--------0.1631_____-0.93
250------3498--------2907--------2.53--------0.2056_____-1.47
300------3439--------2809--------1.30--------0.2489_____-2.13
350------3379--------2713______-0.67--------0.2929_____-2.93
400------3320--------2619______-3.40--------0.3377_____-3.86

Last edited:
Back