What type of press should I buy?

I think most of the Cast Iron Snigle Stage presses are good but the aluminum ones I would stay away from . Iron will be around for your grand children . I have a Rock Chucker but the Lee Clasic Cast is the best deal . I also think the Lee Classic Turret (also Cast Iron ) is a good choice for the calibers you mention in your post . A friend has one and they really produce ammo . I also have Redding T-7 and the Lee is on the want to buy list.

I use a Lee single stage and like it, I've used an RCBS and it worked fine too. I think either will work, it just depends on what you want to spend. I would suggest lee dies when it comes time. Their collet dies are really good for neck sizing only. Another thing I like about the lee is it has the breech lock system. You set your dies up once in a bushing and then you don't have to adjust them every time you switch calibers. You hold down a button and turn the die and the bushing comes out with the die in it. RCBS might have this now too, I don't know.

Forester CO-AX.. I wish I would have known about it before I purchased mine. I have the hornady lock and load and its stout enough but its a pain with what is suppose to be quick change bushings. If I were to do it all over again I would get the CO-AX and not look back

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsCo-Ax is the best.

Jack

Ok Jack and the Co-Ax is also one of the most expensive Single Stage Presses on the market. Not everybody has the wallet for the Cadillacs.

Originally Posted By: ShynlocoOriginally Posted By: Jack RobertsCo-Ax is the best.

Jack

Ok Jack and the Co-Ax is also one of the most expensive Single Stage Presses on the market. Not everybody has the wallet for the Cadillacs.

Sometimes the truth is expensive......

Quote:the Co-Ax is also one of the most expensive Single Stage Presses on the market. Not everybody has the wallet for the Cadillacs. While I agree that money is always an issue with most folk,,, I picked up my Forster Co-Ax for $249 at Natchez Shooting Sports....Considering what others were costing at the time, it seemed like a good buy, considering the reputation and I've not regretted the expense...

C'Mon all you Cadillac owners....cut me some slack! I paid a whole $60 for my Rockchucker and in fact bought it used off EBay a few years ago. That press has served me very well and had never presented a problem. Heck my Redding Big Boss works equally as well and that one cost me more than twice what Rockchucker did. Now I'm not here bad mouthing the Co-Ax in the least, but not all of us can afford the best. I'd hate to see anyone miss out of the fun of reloading because they got scared off because some folks can afford and like to spend the big bucks! So lighten up!

My point is this: I once ran a shop that produced a considerable amount of semi-custom ammunition. We had 36 loading stations; 20 of which had Co-Ax presses. When looking at the overall quality control numbers for things like case and bullet run-out, the Forster presses always were best. To further the point, I could train a tech to make good ammunition on the Co-Ax in about half the time as the "O" frames. You are correct that Rockchuckers are decent presses, but I still prefer the Co-Ax much more even with the price difference.
John

One thing you can consider is buying a used RCBS RockChucker press as they are 'almost' impossible to break so should be some deals out there on used ones.

I suggest this as the price on all presses seems way too high these days...I paid $83 for an RCBS Rockchucker kit back in 1983...that included the press, shell holder, the 10-10 scale,lube and pad,maybe some other stuff.

I know prices are up in 27 years, but jeez, $140 MSRP for a 10-10 scale?!!

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialI know prices are up in 27 years, but jeez, $140 MSRP for a 10-10 scale?!!

I wonder what it'll cost in 2037?

I just switched from a Lee to a Forster Co-Ax. The difference is HUGE. This press is worth every penny. Had I realized how much better it really is, I would have made the switch years ago.

If you are a serious reloader, this is the press to go with. Just bit the bullet and spend the money (no pun intended). You won't be sorry.

Sorry but it's dumb to drop that kinda of cash on a Co-Ax until the OP decides he wants to get serious about it!

To the OP what will you be shooting more of? 9mm, 45ACP, or .223?? How many rounds do you plan on shooting in a year?

If the two pistols are the ones that get used the most then you should get a progressive press. If you shoot the .223 more then I would opt for a single stage press. I know I would hate to reload 10,000 rounds of pistol on a single stage even if it was a Co-Ax!!

Sorry guys but to say a Co-Ax is the best press to a new guy "THINKING" about getting into reloading is like telling a new race car driver that he needs a Corvette to race with!! Or too say you need a $900 rifle, $1200 scope and $700 foxpro in order to hunt coyotes with.

My advice is start small to make sure it's something you REALLY wanna do and then if you stick with it take the jump for bigger and better things!

Sorry but it's dumb to drop that kinda of cash on a Co-Ax until the OP decides he wants to get serious about it!

To the OP what will you be shooting more of? 9mm, 45ACP, or .223?? How many rounds do you plan on shooting in a year?

If the two pistols are the ones that get used the most then you should get a progressive press. If you shoot the .223 more then I would opt for a single stage press. I know I would hate to reload 10,000 rounds of pistol on a single stage even if it was a Co-Ax!!

Sorry guys but to say a Co-Ax is the best press to a new guy "THINKING" about getting into reloading is like telling a new race car driver that he needs a Corvette to race with!! Or too say you need a $900 rifle, $1200 scope and $700 foxpro in order to hunt coyotes with.

My advice is start small to make sure it's something you REALLY wanna do and then if you stick with it take the jump for bigger and better things!

While I agree the OP will be fine with most any press that is available, he in fact never mentioned in his original post that price was his primary concern. I would though believe that a quality end product is one of his goals and to that end I feel that the Co-Ax should be at or near the top of the list. Just my opinion, Dave

OK how about this. If you pick single stage and can afford a Co-Ax you won't be dissapointed. If you can't afford the Co-Ax then buy the rock chucker and you won't be dissapointed. IMO they are both great presses but the Co-Ax is the "Cadillac" of the two.
tt2.gif
RR

"To the OP what will you be shooting more of? 9mm, 45ACP, or .223?? How many rounds do you plan on shooting in a year?"

@dmpowder I will be shooting .223 more than anything although the 9mm will be a close second. I shoot my .223 twice as much as the 9mm and that equates to roughly 2000 rounds per year of .223 ammo. I know it's not a lot of ammo down the range, but I see realoading as a great excuse to put more down range, and cheaper.

As RustyCJ8 stated, I never really put a price on anything so the sky could have been the limit on this one. I really want to start reloading and start small and fairly inexpensive. Or at least that's what I tell the wife. But I don't want to sacrifice quality of ammo for price of equipment.

Back