What the......?

I have had one Leupold in my life that I had to send back to them for warranty. That was on my 6.5-20 that I had to send in last year to have a CDS dial installed. When I got it back, the elevation change dial would not work. I don't know what they did but somehow they did not get it connected right when they put in the dial so I had to return it.
Possibly yours did somewhat the same thing? I am not intimately familiar with the inner workings of the scope but I am sure Leupold will fix it for you. BTW, my 6.5-20 is the older Vari-X 3.

You said it was shooting way to the right but did your up and down change much too?

I'd maybe run the windage all the way to the left then all the way to the right, center it, reboresight it at 25yds and start all over getting it on paper at 25 then work your way out to 100. It it's no better then I'd start looking for a different scope to try and if it does the same thing with a different scope, well, the scope probably isn't the problem.

Originally Posted By: B23You said it was shooting way to the right but did your up and down change much too?

Nope. Little if any. I did click the windage adjustments all the way back the other way then halfway back again. And if tomorrow the gun kicks my butt again I will try a scope and ring combo off one of my other 527 rifles. I will get it figured out but don't know if tomorrow will be the day or not. Will keep you posted.

Even more why IMO this is all pointing toward it being a optic related issue. It's aggravating but I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out in time. Hey, look on the bright side, it's giving you something to do.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Even more why IMO this is all pointing toward it being a optic related issue. It's aggravating but I'm sure you'll get it all sorted out in time. Hey, look on the bright side, it's giving you something to do.
smile.gif

Yeah, but was fine until I had the barrel threaded. Scope just sat on my workbench unmolested until I put it back on the gun. Hard to imagine that it went bad just sitting there. And I doubt that the vicious recoil of the .17 Hornet did it in either. In less than an hour I will be back at the range seeing it it's any better. Hope so.

Wife is out of town all week in a training in Las Vegas. Staying at the Caesar's Palace hotel poor thing. I am sitting home watching over the dogs. The remote went out for my Dish TV so getting out and doing some shooting is a blessing. 71 degrees and light winds? I am going to be gone for a while. Packed a lunch even.

Originally Posted By: RustydustI doubt that the vicious recoil of the .17 Hornet did it in either.

Oh yeah, the recoil on those 17 Hornets is brutally punishing.
lol.gif

I'm ok with my wife being gone but the remote not working, oh heII no!

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would shoot it with the can on, and then with the can off.

I asked that to but got no response. Maybe a baffle strike????

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: ackleymanI would shoot it with the can on, and then with the can off.

Sorry Bill did not see your question. No, no can on it at all. That certainly would be something that I was checking out if that was the case. I had the barrel threaded for my new can which is not here yet.

Besides, if it was a baffle strike I doubt it would group very well and if I understand it, it's grouping fine just wayyyy to the right, is that correct RD?

Originally Posted By: B23Besides, if it was a baffle strike I doubt it would group very well and if I understand it, it's grouping fine just wayyyy to the right, is that correct RD?

Yes indeed. I did have a bullet strike with my old HTG can which destroyed the end cap on it. I never knew for sure what caused it but was likely due to it being dirty and some carbon getting in the way of the bullet.

Yeah, 6" to the right still with the scope cranked all the way to the left. Did a scope/rings swap last night so back to the range I go today.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: ackleymanI would shoot it with the can on, and then with the can off.

Sorry Bill did not see your question. No, no can on it at all. That certainly would be something that I was checking out if that was the case. I had the barrel threaded for my new can which is not here yet.

No problem Russ, just throwing stuff out there now. Really curious as to what the problem is. Its hard to think a scope went bad just setting on your bench but I guess crazier things have happened. Did you happen to use the Q-tip trick to check the crown? See if it grabs the cotton on the end? You probably already did...just asking. Shooting valuable ammo right now to find a problem sucks. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

Yup. Crown is fine and mentioned that earlier. But now the scope and rings off my CZ 527 .223 are on it and will see if the problem still persist. I put the Leupold that I took off of it back on the .223 so will see what happens there. Hopefully before the day is out I will have some more tangible answers. I am bound to know more anyway.

Originally Posted By: Terry LightleWaiting patiently,now I know how women feel while waiting for the next episode of a soap opera lol

Ha! Oh I don't know that we men ever know how they feel as that is a every changing variable depending on the day, their mood, time of the month, weather, if their husband pizzed them off that day, etc. etc....
smile.gif

Less than an hour at the range and sure a lot closer now. After getting it on paper at 100 yards with my old Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 it quickly got to POI and proceeded to shoot it's usual sub 1/2" 5 shot groups. I kinda forgot how nice a $200 scope can be. Then I tried the scope and rings that were on it on my 527 American .223 and again, was able to quickly get it to POI at 100 yards. And (bless those CZ rifles!) it too was giving me sub half inch groups with some 5 year old 40 grain Vmax handloads. So now what? The scope and rings that were crap on the .17 Hornet worked fine on my .223 and the scope and rings that were on the .223 work great on the Hornet. I am not 100% sure if I have proved anything yet except that I know how to confuse myself very well.

About all you can do is switch them back and see what happens. Or being both are happy...leave them alone. LOL, not a lot of help am I?

Back