What shotgun for crow hunting???

Thanks for everyone advice!
I can see that there are a lot of differant opinions and in turn, a lot for me to sort through.
I'm going to go to a few places and look around a little. Try to get a feel on some differant guns.
I think I'll want to try and deep the $$$ under $500 or so to start out. I do know that you have to pay for quality and I do alot of the time. I just want to try and keep the cost of this gun down since I'm really just starting out hunting them. I went one time with some friends last year and had a BLAST (or 2) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks guys!
Micah

I use a Rem. 870 pump wingmaster! 2 3/4 lowbrass #6 or # 71/2! One more thing! One more thing the crow call I use is (Gibson) the BEST!!!!!!!

My two cents...For crows you definetly want semi auto. Sometimes they come in fast and heavy. Just get the cheapest semi auto. Stay away from any o ring crap that will freeze up. I'd be worried more about how the gun fits you...almost like you would be fitting a gun for skeet or trap. They do sell 10 round extensions but i think 5 rounds in the magaziner is enough. I would also want something that shoots 3.5 shells too. The SBE is over priced. If you shoot alot keep in mind how you clean it and takedown.

And if you get addicted to crows you will need another crow gun that can take the metro barrel (usually the rem 870).

Good luck...Let us know what you choose and why!

REM 870, 12 GAU, 28 inch barrel, modified choke, 2 3/4 inch #8 or #7 1/2 low base shells. My gun likes federal over any other manufacture.

I've been shooting crows since way back in the 60s, and I've used several different shotguns as well as chokes and guages.

My "go-to" round nowadays is a 12 guage, #7.5 shot, modified choke. I've used practically everything from #4s all the way to #9s, but 7.5 seems to be magic for me.

If the crows tend to fly high, #6 would be a good bet, but if you get them relatively close, 7.5 will do a good job since you get more shot and a denser pattern.

As well, for many years I used only a 20 guage, a Remington LT-20 with a modified choke, and then later a Browning Citori 20 guage with fixed chokes of full and modified.
There's nothing wrong with the 20 guage for crows. I've put a lot of birds on the ground with them, and still enjoy shooting 20s.

Another consideratin is recoil. If you do a lot of shooting, you may find a semi-auto more comfortable, as well as a 20 guage. Just depends on how much shooting you might do.

My advice - choose a gun that fits you well and that you feel comfortable with, one that just seems to point naturally. Then, get a modified choke and use either #6 or #7.5 shot. Do some pattern testing to see what works well with your particular gun and choke.

You may have to experiment a bit to see what is right for you. As you can see, all of us that responded have our own views. You will find what works for you.

Good luck, and we hope to see some good crow photos along with your new toy soon.

Pretty much any scatter gun will work I myself prefer a 12 gauge my granddaddys Remington 878 seems to knock em down. A Mossberg is going to be your best bet on price, if you wanna spend more money go with a Remington 1100 or 11-87 you can't go wrong with auto. And definitely get one with removable chokes, though for crow hunting I'd go with a full choke. Especially if your using cheap low brass 7 1/2 or 8 shot. My favorite crow shell is a Remington express long range #4 or #6 shot. Might seem like overkill but it puts them on the ground fast. It might seem expensive just to kill crows but if your smart about your shots a box may last you more than one outing. Good luck,

Willybo

I like my Stoeger 12 with full choke. Sixes most of the time, as it seems my crows fly high, esp on bright, sunny days.

if you want to kill em up high, get what i got.....single shot 10 gauge with an extented XX full tube shooting 3 1/2 inch #4's....that should be good up to about 400- 500 feet in the air!

no joke..ya'ought try it!!

Jered

My current crow gun is a Stoeger 2000, using either a Comp n Choke modified tube or Briley Lt Mod. I've used a M 870 and Browning Citori o/u, but prefer the Stoeger. I've shot CASES of high brass shells, and the Stoeger has been a great gun. I use "heavy" loads, so the semi-auto is much easier to shoot. I use both #6 and 7 1/2 shot, whichever is handy.
Charlie Boswell (owner of Comp n Choke) once told me he used a "turkey tube" and 3", #4 shot for crows. Said he could kill crows near 100 yds. After some of the "lucky" shots I've made with my mod tube, I believe what he said.

I like to set up in heavier cover to hide better and get closer shots. Since the shooting can be pretty fast, I prefer to use my upland hunting shotgun, an SKB 12 ga O/U Mod./I.C. with 7 1/2 or 6 shot...whatever I want to use up. Using the same gun provides great practice for trap, grouse and pheasant hunting at other times of the year.

Originally Posted By: BRIZif you want to kill em up high, get what i got.....single shot 10 gauge with an extented XX full tube shooting 3 1/2 inch #4's....that should be good up to about 400- 500 feet in the air!

no joke..ya'ought try it!!

Jered

Your not a lone ranger
smile.gif
i use a Browning pump though

Back