What shotgun for crow hunting???

micah

What kind of shotgun do y'all suggest for crow hunting. I have acces to a rem. 12guage, but the 10yr. anniversary is coming up and the little women has been asking what I want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I don't know much about calibers and shot size and all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Most of my shooting has been done with an m-16 and a 30.06.
Is a 12 guage overkill? I'm sure this will be 95% of what this gun will be used for, so would a 16 or 20 be better for crows? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Also, if someone has any suggestions on what kind and model I'd appreciate that as well. Cost isn't the main concern, I want quality but I don't see spending $1500 on a benelli that I'll be shooting crows with... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
Micah

I use a Remington 1100 in 12ga.When you get a lot of crows coming in fast that auto really pays off. Recoil is nil and you can buy 12ga shells cheap if you don't want to reload.IMHO,the biggest mistake you can make is to buy a scattergun that doesn't fit you,brand or gauge are not as important

Berretta urica al391, mine is the most reliable auto i,ve ever used, had a benelli super black eagle, absolute garbage, it just would not work properly.

Here are my recommendations.

12ga 3" or 2 3/4" #6 lead were legal.

Winchester SX2
Benelli M-2, Montefeltro
Benelli Nova
Remington 870
Beretta Urika, 390, 391
Stoeger M-2000
Mossberg 935 or 930
Franchi I-12

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out! Hehehehe!!

Think this would work?
100_0132.jpg

Be sure to get something camoed or matt or paintable. I just painted my 11-87 SuperMag. It needs more work, it's not what I want yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif IMHO go w/ an auto & in 12ga. You can buy 12ga trap loads pretty cheap & that's what the biggest shooter of crows uses, Bob Aronsohn. I've shot a bunch of crows w/ a pump in 20ga. It works, but I like the 12ga in an auto better.
The main thing is get something & get out there & shoot! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I like it, Crapshoot. Do you honestly use it on crow though? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Last edited:
I would if we had crows. About all we have here are those crows on steroids that are federaly protected (Ravens). I havent used it on anything but paper .... yet. But given the opportunity, i'll use it on anything i can. I bought it and set it up for coyotes. Suprisingly light and rather unpleasant to shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Go with the 12 gauge, with interchangeable choke tubes. Depending on the type of area you hunt and how you hunt them, you can pick the best choke tube. Standard 2 3/4" shells will work, but I've found that finer shot like trap loads (7 1/2 and 8), while fine up close, tend to just break the near wing on longer shots. 6's hammer them down, even through bare tree branches.

CROWS MUST DDDDIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Mad Mountain Pete

Thanks for eveyones advice. I'll do my best to check out all of them.
No big rush...I've got another month before season starts and after that I have access to borrow a Rem. 12guage pump whenever I like. It's just feel better out there when it's your OWN gun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Micah

It really depends upon what you are willing to spend, but you've gotten some solid advice so far. You can't really go wrong with a pump gun, I prefer the Rem 870 over the Mossberg 835 (just me). However, a good auto gun is nice for those occasions when there are lots of birds. The downside to an auto is cleaning. Just make sure you get a gun with screw in chokes so you can adjust the gun to the conditions.

My personal favorite crow load is a Remington Nitro 27 with either 7 1/2 or 8 shot. A gut at Crowbusters did some testing and these loads put more shot in a crow sized target at 40 yards than any other. My field performance can attest to this, also.

Welcome to the club, fellow Arky. Crow hunting is like drugs, if you don't want to get hooked, don't try it.

Quote:
12 gauge is just fine. You sometimes need it for the reach out and touch power.
Go for a Mossberg 835, cheap and dependable.

$297 at Wally World, already camoed, comes with the turkey choke (coyotes), fire fly sights, and overbore (10ga) barrel (less recoil among other things).

For the money, I think the Benelli Nova's a good deal if they fit you. I have a 12ga Nova that I really like....keep it in the truck all the time for unexpected opportunities. If you keep your eyes open, you can pick up a new one [black] for right around $300 bucks. The camo runs about 50 bucks more. Scheels was selling the black ones for $299. Plus they handle 3 1/2 inch shells if you use it for calling coyotes, or geese. Good luck! I love the smell of a new gun.

I'm using my Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon 111, usually with #7 1/2 handicap trap loads.I also use lead 3" magnums in various shot sizes, mostly because I have lots of them. Use whatever you shoot best or whatever you like the most. My choice isn't going to get camoed anytime soon though.
Dogleg

I'm using an 870 in 20ga. With handloads my max is 40yds. & 1/2's are real good but the 8's seem to be the more consistent crow duster. More bb's in the 8's so you have more opportunities for the shock effect to take place. A longer shot string with a denser pattern is what it takes to dust one of these ariel genuises. They are tricky to hit if you miss the 1st shot. Check out crowbusters.com for the final & most authoritive word on crow hunting IMHO.

How about a Saiga 12 with a 10 round clip? I always thought that would make a fun crow gun. It seems like you can never have enough shells when crows are diving in on you. Anyone here ever try one of these? It looks like a fun toy for around $300.

Back