What is causing my guns to rust?

Originally Posted By: Mike21Breeze,

In your industry you know that air molecules are part water? And that metal rusts when exposed to such?

I think your WAY over analyzing simple oxidation.

oxidation is just a form of corrosion in it's early stage,and yes air molecules are part water but metal will not corrode with just air & water.it more complex than that.
not relly over analying(sometimes thats what we do)
just trying to help a fellow gun nut out.

Laffin...

This is pretty simple. Keep your guns oiled and put a dry rod in the safe and your problems will be over. Would help to move the safe away from the shower,OR just close the door when showering.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeLaffin...

This is pretty simple. Keep your guns oiled and put a dry rod in the safe and your problems will be over. Would help to move the safe away from the shower,OR just close the door when showering.
I agree 100% sorry for getting to technical,but thats what we do.

No problem Breeze. Hey ya never know when I might learn sumtin...
cool.gif

Is it truly bad to store ammo in ones safe? I dont store mass amount buts I keep a few shotgun shells on the ready for any coyotes that decide to wander into my yard.
blink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: the noobieIs it truly bad to store ammo in ones safe? I dont store mass amount buts I keep a few shotgun shells on the ready for any coyotes that decide to wander into my yard.
blink.gif

Won't be a problem if you get your humidity problem undercontrol.

Im working on the Humidity, got my silica gel stuff on order should be here soon. Also My closet is big enough that I think I can squeeze my safe into it, if so that might help because its dark, always closed, and away from steam also stays fairly constant temp wise

I didn't see it mentioned but you can use a product like 'RIG' grease for guns you don't plan to use anytime soon. With guns I have no intention of shooting for years going forward I apply a light coating of RIG grease in the bore & on the outside before storage. I always clean any gun I put back in service, so I don't worry about a little grease in the barrel, no reason to overdue it though.

Besides that, a lightly oiled cloth & a damp patch goes a long way towards preservation.

Reduce the moisture through the obvious ways mentioned thus far and then treat your guns with CorrosionX.

http://www.corrosionx.com/

The Prez of that company is a shooter as well. I have been a faithful user of his products ever since he sent me a free sample!!

Good stuff ........ neck and neck with Ezzox!!

Three 44s

Last edited:
Thanks for this thread. It made me finally get my silica cans out of the safe and dry them out. It has been over a year since I moved into my new home and it has not been done yet here. Good thing the Wyoming climate is so dry.

The obvious culprit to your rust problem is probably corrosive ammo. The fact that you are not sure if you used corrosive ammo or not is why I'd assume you did. You mention rusty bores ONLY on your 30-06 (maybe corrosive ammo) and your Mosin Nagants (surely corrosive if it was surplus). Classic corroded bore.

Other guns only had minor surface rust. Corrosive ammo requires more than just normal cleaning. Maybe you didn't clean the corrosive salts propey? Maybe you used a rag cantaminated with corrosive salts to also clean or wipe your other guns? Sounds like a reasonable explination to me...

Storing guns near a steamy shower area is not a good idea for obvious reasons. Move your cabinet. Buy quality oils and cleaning gear.

How long does it take corrosive ammo to really damage a gun? last time I fired the Nagants was probably 4-5 years ago and the only ammo we have for them is Wolf which claims to be non corosive. Last time I fired the unknown -06 ammo was before elk season 3 years ago and the winter right after elk season. In fact im pretty dang sure its corrosive ammo because its from the war all it has stamped on it is like 46 and the carboard box says something like .30-06 Ball date and manufacturing place. Some of it is Red Tipped (tracer?) and theres a bit that is black tipped (AP?)

I can't answer about the length of time for corrosive ammo to really affect a barrel... I was always taught to wash the barrel down with hot soapy water immediately after shooting the stuff...and then dry/oil it thoroughly...

Noobie, I'll take those guns off your hands since you don't like shooting them. Just not the mosin. I could prolly buy one for cheaper than it would cost to ship.

What about using a chunk of camphor ice in the cabinet. That is an old machinist trick for keeping tooling rust free in the tool cabinet drawers. It slowly evaporates and the vapors form a fine film on the metal sealing off humidity and air. The camphor ice can be purchased at any drug store.

Originally Posted By: wraithenNoobie, I'll take those guns off your hands since you don't like shooting them. Just not the mosin. I could prolly buy one for cheaper than it would cost to ship.

haha I just have no reason to shoot the -06 dont big game hunt and its too expensive to target shoot with. Right now its main purpose is turning cans of tomato into mist.

Back