What did you do today in the world of reloading?

Got started on loading a ladder test. 223, X-Terminator and 45 gr controlled chaos. If it warms up and the wind dies I'll go shoot. Not holding my breath.
smile.gif

Got r done. My last 346 20 Practical. Total done in the last week or so is 1367. Hated to go through that much powder (about 5 lbs) but they are in a sealed can and probably won't be shot till 2023. Come on spring and summer.

Last edited:
Shot the 44 Mag, the .45 Auto and the 9mm today. Picked up my brass and a bunch of guys shooting 9mm's was just letting their brass lay. Swept it up took it home and I'm processing it all now. Gotta love free brass.

Loaded some 7 RM with 140 Berger VLD hunting bullets for a doe hunt tomorrow. Hope to get first blood on the Browning 1885. My buddies taking his Ruger #3 45/70 so it should be a fun day with single shots.

Loaded some 6.5 Rem. Mags. for the last 660 Magnum that I bought. Then, took the action out of the stock to insert a rear tang support that I got from Numrich Arms that are only in the Magnums. The gunsmith I took several 600/660's to for the trigger recall removed them and said they no longer fit after redoing the trigger, when I asked him for them he said that he threw them away, YEA RIGHT! Guess what, the one I just installed fits perfectly but you need to put it in place on the rear of the trigger before installing it and the barreled action back in the stock, if you place it in the stock first and then try to install the barreled action, it's a no go.

Last edited:
I picked up a box of 500 count 30 cal bullets at cal ranch....... and then put them back on the shelf. Just couldn't bring myself to fork out the dough.

I finally said Uncle on trying to burn H 4350 or H4831sc in my .260 AR.They are my go to in .260 bolt & 6.5x284. They are just to slow even with an AGB can't keep from wrecking brass, even at a lower charge. Found a write up from Sierra about gas gun reloading and not to use anything slower than IMR4320 for 7.62. I have some Varget, IMR4895, H322, & Benchmark. Guess I'll give them a try.

Originally Posted By: flowjI finally said Uncle on trying to burn H 4350 or H4831sc in my .260 AR.They are my go to in .260 bolt & 6.5x284. They are just to slow even with an AGB can't keep from wrecking brass, even at a lower charge. Found a write up from Sierra about gas gun reloading and not to use anything slower than IMR4320 for 7.62. I have some Varget, IMR4895, H322, & Benchmark. Guess I'll give them a try.

Even 4064 is a bit slow for .308.

I have been considering another caliber for a large platform rifle. Seems 7mm-08 is about as small diameter as i can go, and run medium speed powders effectively.

On another note.... One can get a custom length gas port drilled way out there. I think that would help considerably with the slow burners.

I have heard + 4 inches with a 26 inch barrel.

I prepped up some more 45-70 brass for my 1895 Marlin. Loving Reloader 7 and Hornady 300gr HP's and Hornady 325gr FTX bullets.

Also am preparing brass for 45 Colt for a 1894 20 inch lever gun. I am still working on an accuracy load for this one. I am getting 1400fps with 300 grain Hornady XTP mag bullets.

Been trying to get the 129 gr. Hornady Interlock to shoot in my Savage 260 Remington. Loaded and shot some yesterday and seems to like H4831 SC. Working on seating depth now. I've gone from jammed out to .020 off and it's still not grouping well. Hopefully I'll find the right seating depth soon.

I found the load I am going to stick with for my Rainer ultra match, shooting Hornady 75 bthp, 2650 FPS .650” at 100 from an 18” barrel, I spent a few hours doing the varget crunch today

I plan on loading up some rounds for my hog hunt I will be taking in a few weeks at a friends place down in Florida.

Load is as follows:

129gr Hornady Interlocks over 28.3gr of Power Pro Varmint. This yields an average MV of 2,400fps. Bad Medicine for Hogs!

Loaded up 20 rounds of 30-30 for my Marlin 336.

Sierra 170gr with WW brass, CCI 200’s and 31.7 grains of W748

This thing has a old school little 1.5 power scope and shoots great.

Back