What caliber rifle would you buy for elk?

I shoot a 300 Weatherby but if I were in your situation I'd get something more basic like a 30-06 or .308 depending on whether you want a long or short action. When I was a kid all my dad and I ever used were .270's and they worked just fine with cheapo corlokt ammo.

Originally Posted By: tresmonGet a 7mm something, they're the most aerodynamic of all bullets until you get way up into the super heavy 338's desighned for sniper use, and you have to have a 338 LM to shoot'em fast enough. The higher Ballistic coeffiecients of the 7's let's it be less affected by wind, shoots flatter, and have more retained veocity( = retained energy) down range.

Having said that, I recomend a 280, 280 improved, 7WSM or 7MM RM. 7mm Rum is overbore & the brass is low quaility.

If your an above average shooter, or plan on shortish range stuff only, a 7mm-08 will fit the bill very nicley as well-

but might somehow feel quite puny in your hands after you have packed out the first portion of elk meat, and have retuned to pack out another portion of meat only to discover a grizz or brown has claimed your prize as his own, and he want's to prove it to you beyond a shadow of doubt.

This is exactly what I was going to post. I would also throw in the 7SAUM. I am more than a little partial to the 7s
whistle.gif

I use a 7 mag and absolutely love it. I've killed several deer with it and in december just killed a cow elk at 550 yards. IMO a 7 mag is a very good gun to get

I have been look at getting a deer/elk rifle and this thread has helped confirm my choice of 30-06. Seems like it is a little more than is needed for deer, but still plenty of gun for elk. And the best part? I have been checked, and can find ammo just about everywhere for it right now.

I've killed 4 elk with a 30-06 my cousin has killed elk all his life with a 257 Roberts I am taking a 7mm08 to Montana this year and I know it will do fine.

Lots of Elk killed every year with a .257 Roberts. Most likely would not be my first choice but if you put a good bullet where it needs to go it will work.

Killed my last elk with a .270 140 gr. SST...
In this area, the 7mm mags. and 300's are most popular.. We have timber hunting and long shots in the sage brush.. If you are looking at a rifle for elk.. 270 though .338.. I use a .300 most.. It is a killer..

300 win.mag., and learn how too reload. because you can reload 125 grain too 200 grain. and there is more than those grains bullets to reload for. if not wanting too reload a 30-06 i think would be fine, for Elk. you pick the grain bullet.

Back