What caliber and brand of gun do all you coyote hunters use?

Originally Posted By: KirschSpecialized Dynamics 22-250 AR with Flir PTS536 scope, Pulsar Helion XP38 monocular, Night Stalker tripod, Varminter 3.0 suppressor, Beard Buster chair, and shooting Berger 50gr Target HPs.

night_setup.jpg

That’s one heck of a setup? What did you use to fix your remote to the tripod?

Originally Posted By: AdamT
That’s one heck of a setup? What did you use to fix your remote to the tripod? I love having my remote like this. It gives me easy access to it. In addition having the FoxGrip on my AR allows me to pause the sound whenever I want. To attach the remote, I use a bike handlebar magnet, and then use one of the metal plates and put this on the back of the remote. It is nice and secure while on stand and detaches in a split second and off to the next stand. This also allows me to position my remote different ways in case the call is a bit out of range. Amazon Link

Tikka T3 in 243 for calling coyotes. I use a Benelli MR1 .223 when we are running hounds. Both topped with Zeiss Conquest scopes. For the thick stuff I use a Ricol over/under shotgun with factory 14” barrels and screw in chokes with Tungsten BBs

Originally Posted By: KirschI love having my remote like this. It gives me easy access to it. In addition having the FoxGrip on my AR allows me to pause the sound whenever I want. To attach the remote, I use a bike handlebar magnet, and then use one of the metal plates and put this on the back of the remote. It is nice and secure while on stand and detaches in a split second and off to the next stand. This also allows me to position my remote different ways in case the call is a bit out of range. Amazon Link

Awesome! Thank you.

Bushmaster Modular Carbine 16" AR15 .223, Bison 18" AR15 6.8 spc, Winchester 70 featherweight .243, and Benelli M2 12g are my primary predator hunting guns. On most stands I carry the .223 AR and the 12g.

I mostly call with a DPMS Prairie Panther in 223. It is a picky sucker but shoots RAM reman ammo with a 55gr V max at 2964fps really well. I've fed it a lot higher priced ammo but it doesn't like anything else as well as this. It has a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x on it and a Jard 2lb trigger.

When range or wind makes me think it's a good idea I step up to a custom 243 bolt action. It's built with a Ruger action, McMillian Gamescout stock, Pac Nor #4 fluted barrel, Timney 2lb trigger, and a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x44 scope. Right now I'm experimenting with the Hornady Superformance 58gr V max ammo in it. I got a box last week and it shot really well from the bench. This rifle had not shot anything under 85gr well before I tried this. I will see how it does on coyotes. The 85gr Sierra or Speer bullets are hard on them.

My favorite truck gun is an old Sako L579 243 I bought used a while back. Someone else had used it as a truck gun for a good long while, it's not the prettiest Sako I've ever seen by a ways. I had it bedded, floated, and the trigger set to 2lbs. It has a 4.5-14x Leupold VX-III on it with the VH reticle. It seems to like everything I feed it. Currently I'm shooting the 69gr Berger Varmint bullet.

Last edited:
It depends on what the area I'm calling in as to what I use. I have a 22-250 for when I'm in open country with a longer shot potential. I have a .223 for when the shots are close and in thicker bush country. When I have been successful in calling the dog(s) I get to use my 12 ga.

I use Savage Axis II XP both custom Paint jobs, with and extra Boyds Stock in Coyote pattern. I also have a custom paint job on my Win SXP 12 ga

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tripod3My last one was with a Chev 1 ton 4wd diesel and those extra tires made sure it was flat.

Hehe... lil story. Night of getting my very first Deer kill (Day after Halloween 2015). I'm on the road back out of there, last bit before exiting the public forest land is a flatlands. It's maybe 11pm. Up ahead I see something jump into the road, maybe 150yds ahead of me where the road veers before another long straight.

So... curious...I speed up! Hey! It's a Yote! This is gonna be Fuuuun!

I slowly brought my speed up to match his. This flat open stretch has barbed wire fencing on both sides, so I think because of that he didn't initially veer off to the side of the road.

I ran him up to like 45mph! Then back him down to 40mph. And he stayed running along like that for a surprising amount of time before he FINALLY got smart and veered off the asphalt.

It was such a trip watching him like maybe 2 car-lengths in front of me!

im a cheap guy cause i dont have any cash. i managed to save up for a Savage Axis in .223 Rem. bought the combo with the cheap ?Bushnell? scope, a while later i bought an upgrade Nikon 3-9X40 Prostaff. i also CAREFULLY trimmed the trigger spring down to a more functional pound pull, although i havent measured it.

my first coyote was a double last year, ranging out to about 140 - 150 yards, DRT (dead right there) with Federal 55grn soft points.

I use my Ruger 220 swift when I hunt big open areas. When closer in areas, I use my mini-14 which was redone by Accuracy Systems, very accurate now.

I float around between a custom built Remington 700 in .223AI, a rem 870 12gauge, a CZ527 varmint in 17Hornet, and my bow. I put together a really nice DMR style AR with all high end parts and I just don't use it much for hunting. I don't know, its cool but I just cant get into it. More of a bolt gun guy I guess.

I packed my 300wsm in my ranch truck in WY. Rustydust loaded me up some 100 gr flat based HP yote smokers! Man, do they smoke a yote! No exactly fur friendly, but man are they effective. I carry a 223 AR down here in TX

Originally Posted By: TxPigKillerI packed my 300wsm in my ranch truck in WY. Rustydust loaded me up some 100 gr flat based HP yote smokers! Man, do they smoke a yote! No exactly fur friendly, but man are they effective. I carry a 223 AR down here in TX

Those suckers would be the bomb, Shane!
Don't try the 100 gr. Speer "plinker" in that rifle. I ruined a 308 Norma Mag. barrel driving that half jacket bullet as fast as I could. That was before (affordable) chronographs or borescopes, but they were screaming! Rifle started showing pressure signs on previously normal loads and accuracy went to pot. Only think I can figure is the cores were melting and coated bore w/lead???

Had used the PLINKERS @ 30-06 velocities and they were explosive on jack rabbits.

Regards,
Clarence

Back