What caliber and brand of gun do all you coyote hunters use?

US Rifle, Caliber .30, M1.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Mossberg Varmint in 556 topped with a Viper 6x24x50. Also put together an AR in 556 with a Vortex Spitfire 3x that I will start taking too. The Mossy shoots way better than I expected, 3/4" at 100 and I kinda suck.

I am kinda running on the inexpensive side, but I have other hobbies that take my cash.... 2 sportbikes = trackdays=money, and now an adventure bike=lots of ADV trips=money, duck hunting=guns and decoys and boats=money.... it goes on...

Great topic.

Found a pic of both in my new case. Posted once but what the heck... pic's always make it better.

mukRDiw.jpg

Last edited:
A Kimber Montana in 22-250 weighs in at 4.13Lbs naked. Carbon Fiber-Kevlar impregnated stock. Wearing a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50 illuminated German #4 Dot reticle. Works well on Bobcats, coyotes and even foxes if you play it right. If you don't, oh well still a dead fox.

dKRdRJwm.jpg
GjJdsQsm.jpg

CQFlS5Om.jpg

Last edited:
My go to coyote rifle is my 16in fluted stainless PTG-10 in .308 with a YHM-30cal QD stainless suppressor. I run Hornady factory 150gr Whitetail SP's out of it. I will also go to my Mossberg 500 with #4 buckshot when things get up close and personal.

20170409_062304 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I've been at this for a long time and have accumulated a number of dedicated predator rifles. Terrain, mood and if I'm hunting with a partner(if I'm taking someone out I tend to let them take the shots)

Bolt guns

Savage 11 in 22-204 Sightron 1.5x6x40mm (I've been shooting it for about 10yrs and like it a lot)

Sako Vixen 222 Rem Leupold 2-7 Compact (it is a been with me a couple of years and is gaining ground on the 22-204 as my favorite)

Rem 722 With a LVSF barrel in 22-250 Elite 4200 2.5-10x42mm( usually goes out on off season open country hunts when pelts aren't prime)

Just added
Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA Youth in 223 with a Argos 2-10x40mm I've only killed one coyote with it then left it with my grand daughter to target shoot with until I find a nice rifle for her.

Combo guns

BRNO 305 22 Sav. HP/12ga Leupold 1-4x20mm it travels with me a lot as it also has a set of O/U 12ga barrels

Bernardelli 2000 5.6x50R/12ga Leupold 1-4x20mm

Wilkes drilling 6.5x58R/16ga/16ga Leupold 1-4x20mm(great old gun built in 1926 and will still shoot sub-moa at 200 yards, not my favorite rifle cal for coyotes but love having the two shotgun barrels)

Having one gun for coyote hunting would be like having one club to golf with.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAHaving one gun for coyote hunting would be like having one club to golf with.- DAA

And, on the other hand,

Originally Posted By: Clint Smith"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

I run my trusty T/C Venture .243win with Vortex 4-12x40 and a couple of basement assembled ARs in .223 and 22 Nosler. Scopes vary as I seem to switch them around.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: DAAHaving one gun for coyote hunting would be like having one club to golf with.- DAA

And, on the other hand,

Originally Posted By: Clint Smith"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

I think the "beware the man with only one gun", is well, a croc... IMO it just means the fool rarely hunts.
smile.gif

I have several, but my “go to” is a Proof Research Summit 22-250 topped with Swarovski Z6. I’m thinking about putting a 16.5” tube on this and running it supressed, but it shoots so good, I hate to mess with it...

Rem 700 ADL varmint 22-250 Burris Predator Quest 4.5-14

This gun started with a 26 in barrel and I ran 52 gr Amax at 3935 with a stout load of Ar Comp. When I got my suppressor I had it cut to 22" and threaded and it would run the 52 Amax 3825. Very recently I had some issues with this rifle so I had a smith look at it, while he had it I decided to finally pull the trigger on a project I've wanted to try for a long time and had him chop the barrel all the way back to 16". Going to be fun to see what kind of performance i can squeak out of it now. The idea was to make a truck/tractor gun that was still handy with an 8" suppressor on it for toting around the ranch. By far shot more coyotes with this rifle than any other. It has been my standard go to in most conditions.

Rem 700 ADL 243 win with 4.5-14 Burris MTAC

This gun started out a youth/compact model for my wife. She never really got along with it so I took it out a trigger tech trigger in it and out it in a full sized hogue stock and it has turned into a favorite of mine. 20 " barrel makes it pretty handy with the suppressor on there and it is kind of a mid range gun currently shooting 70 gr Nosler Varmaggedon when that supply runs out going to go back to 60gr sierra hps.

Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor with an Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27 in a MDT LSS Chassis with a timney trigger.

This is my open country/ windy day gun. I've killed quite a lot of coyotes with this rifle as well and like to shoot it on contest days. 143 eldx at 2700 tend to plant coyotes right where you hit them no matter the range. Also my longest confirmed coyote kill was with this rifle at 773yards. I've hit others further that I did not recover. This Athlon is a new scope for this rifle and the jury is still out on it.

3 rifles that I use frequently and they all play their roles well. Sometimes I have all 3 along for the day and will use whichever gun I feel fits a particular stand the best.

PS
If I cant put my suppressor on it, its not going hunting.

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiOriginally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: DAAHaving one gun for coyote hunting would be like having one club to golf with.- DAA

And, on the other hand,

wink.gif
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

I think the "beware the man with only one gun", is well, a croc... IMO it just means the fool rarely hunts.
smile.gif

I own 2 center fire rifles and probably hunt more than anyone I know, personally. The .243 and .17 Hornet pretty much cover every game I can hunt in western PA. I do need a bear rifle, but with only 3-4 days to actually hunt bear in my location, it isn't worth it. My other hunting firearms are a .22lr and 12 gauge shotgun.

At one point I owned over 40 firearms. It's really useless and more of a liability than a necessity. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

Specialized Dynamics 22-250 AR with Flir PTS536 scope, Pulsar Helion XP38 monocular, Night Stalker tripod, Varminter 3.0 suppressor, Beard Buster chair, and shooting Berger 50gr Target HPs.

night_setup.jpg

Nice rig, glad a was able to help pay for it.

Your GPS chip has been worth more than it's weight in gold for me.

Back