Utah hunters! (and anyone else who wants to play!)

bigc

What are teh odds of a few if not all of us getting together some upcoming weekend to go meet up and shoot some sage puppies? I'm willing to go just about anywhere.....we could all meet in a central location and head out....

What do you think?

Hey Bigc, lets do it! I talked to RanUtah saturday, he is a busy guy! Lets see what kind of responce this gets and go from there. I have a couple of guys that I go with, that would want to go.
Come on Utah guys (and others) chime in here, lets go pound some dogs!

I'm down here in Lehi....so I don't care where we meet? Let's get the heck away form the wasatch front though! I've never hunted along the wyoming and evingston border but want to..anyone know that area. ALso....let's plan for a couple of weeks out....our new little boy is due to arrive any second now and momma might need a bit of help at first! Let me know!

I've never been up north towards Evanston at all, although it looks like good country. I'm game for anything. I've only been out west of Lehi in my adventures as well as up by Snowville once (beginner). My brother and I would love to head out with some new huntin' pardners.

Copro, do you have some good areas to hunt in mind? I would like to try heading north for a day of dog pounding. I have also been around Evanston, there are a few good places up that way as well. Lets pick a date and run from there.

BTW, I live in Woods Cross (west of Bountiful, North of SLC).

Sneekee, what do you drive? I recognize vehicles easier than faces. Do you have a PM decal in a window?
I drive a White 96 Ford super cab Power Stroke with a large PM decal in the back window.

Post up guys, lets get something put together.

Febraury 15th or March 1st works for me.

Dogn, I live not far from you, think I have seen your rig for sure. I drive a white Dodge 2500 quadcab, v10, heavily bloodstained tailgate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Are you guys talking about a coyote hunt? I'd be all for getting to meet people, but just me, I'll pass on a big group calling trip. I can barely stand a good partner, only tried calling with 3 guys once, never again. Really prefer calling by myself, always do better that way.

- DAA

I say let's shoot for the 1st of march...since our new baby will probabbly be here this week!

I'd love to try the north end of our state and south end of Idaho....I drive either a '84 gmc s-15 jimmy (brown)....just need to get some wheel bearings installed!

It sounds like it is falling together....I can't wait!

I drive a red Nissan Altima with aftermarket wheels and tinted windows. I'm not around much because I work full time and attend school full time in the evenings. I live on 2600 south. I would be game for anything that we could put together.

I hunted down around the City of Rocks a couple of months ago and did pretty well. I did drive across the state line and saw great country but did not know I could hunt Utah without a license. I also have often thought just outside of Wells toward Salt Lake looked good also. Nevada does not require license for varmints either. I can’t say I have any dogs scouted in those areas though. I could get you guys close to dogs in Idaho, but license’s are required here. I could definitely hunt March 1 within a 4/5 hour drive of my place. Only been hunting yote this year so I could use a lesson. I've only shot 10 of 20 called in, got lots to learn.

Hey guys, sorry for not responding sooner. I kinda agree with Dave on having small groups. I would say no more than 2 or 3 max. I wouldn't be opposed at all if we just had lunch somewhere.

I am all for a day of dog hunting with the Utah crew! I think that would be a blast! In reference to small groups, we could all get together for the day and just split up with smaller groups once we get to a good area if some like it better that way. As for me, I think it would be awesome either way. I live in bountiful and drive a red 98' Ford F-150. I don't have any friends who are into predator hunting so I wouldn't mind meeting a few. Late February would be the best for me. Please let me know on time and location! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Guys, I think it would be fun to meet everyone. However, I would agree that a lunch would be more successful than a load of us all going out and trying to hunt an area. However p-doggin' with a big group would probably be more applicable to a large group (in the summer). I am in bountiful, and I usually head north for hunting. If anyone wants to get into some reds please let me know. I could take along an extra fellow everynow and then, as long as you're serious about the hunt. Email me if you want at pwhite@uofu.net

I've been mulling this over quite a bit since signing on here last summer. There sure are a lot of Utah boys here and I'd sure like to make some connections with fellow area predator/varmint hunters, as I'm new to the sport. I've even got some connections on land up in both of the northern corners of the beehive state. But, the more I think about it, the thought of letting 10-20 guys in on some of my spots doesn't really appeal to me. I think it's fairly obvious that if you let some fellers in on a spot you've worked to add to your "repetoire," you can pretty well bet he's going to come back with a buddy or two. Like that old shampoo commercial "...and she told her friend..." and then they will come back with a few other guys, "and so on..."

I personally don't have a lot of real productive spots for coyotes. I do know that those I have, I would be more likely to go to with 2 or 3 guys. That way, half of Davis Co. doesn't start hunting shoulder to shoulder with you, within two weeks of sharing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I think just about any one here would help another guy get started. That's why several have mentioned their inclination towards getting grub, or maybe breaking into smaller, maybe 2, 3 man "teams". It's just that when you have a population center of 2 mil. people packed into an area less 100 linear miles long and about 15 miles wide, many of whom hunt, a feller has to be alittle guarded about his few hunting spots he has, within a reasonable distance to home.

I'd be more than happy to head for the hills with one or two of any of you, or get the whole gang together for grub or something. Like I say, I'm a newbie to this predator thing, and I don't have a lot of spare time to speak of, but I've got a .223 Santa left me, some camo gear, a call or two, and an itchy trigger finger... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . I had a black '96 Blazer, but since my "vehicular castration," aka - the wife wanted a new mini-van, a 99 Saturn SL has been my "rig." :rolleyes: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now a group p-dog shoot might work... or even a shoot at a local range like Lee Kay or Wahsatch and I'm up for grub anytime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

toprow, I'll drop you a line on popping a few foxes.

Sorry for being long-winded. Ay-dee-oos for now!

Hey, i'm cool with just hooking up with some guys from the area that share the same interests. Wether it be for a hunt or for lunch. I would be happy just meeting some of you.

I agree completely. When I first posted this I didn't realize how many of us there were? I personally don't like calling with any more than 1-2 other people at most. I prefer at least one other guy...4 eyes being better than 2....but definitely not a whole platoon of us in one area.
Maybe we cold split us up on here....then have those small groups meet....call the morning...then do lunch or dinner some where? Just a thought....

By the way....what is the status of the prairie dog here in Utah? Can you shoot them/some/white tail/ black tail/ utah prairie dog what? And where are some towns..I know Denver is filthy with them but they are protected there?

Get back to me!

I agree that most of us are reasonably protective of our favorite spots but getting together for lunch or something would sure be a good start!
I live up north but work all over the front. I'm the one tailgating all you slowpokes in Davis county with my Teal 99 Ford F150 with the yote tail on the antenna. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hunting good! Eating good! Shooting good! It's all good! I'd be up for whatever, whenever. I live on 850 East here in Bountiful.

Paul

Not too sure about a group hunt, but I'm game for getting together for lunch or something. I've met Mike Paul and Toprow from the board; both are great guys. Let me know when and where and I'll try my best to be there.

Back