Urban Coyotes

I have a friend that lives in West Port, Ct. while visting him one weekend last year I noticed a lot of missing pet signs(mostly cats) posted on telephone poles around the neighborhood. He told me he has seen several very healthy coyotes in his yard from time to time. He also is an avid outdoorsman and knows what is going on but most do not have clue.

Quote:
I noticed a lot of missing pet signs(mostly cats) posted on telephone poles around the neighborhood.

I need to borrow that coyote for about a week. Maybe less, if he's any good at all.

In response to the many other questions posed in this thread: yes, no, no, no, yes, and what difference does it make.

Finally, and this has been bugging me since the very first post...

What the he** does "acerbate" mean? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Quote:
What the he** does "acerbate" mean?

Well under normal conditions it would mean to Irritate, or make bitter. I am not sure what it means in Hypothetical terms.

Once while cat fishing I heard someone say " Is that your acerbate smelling like that"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Thanks, Randy. I stand corrected. I figured since my dictionary was born before Uncle Jay, it musta been a Jay-ism. But, I looked it up, and by gawd, there it was, just as you stated. Having said that, and referring to Jay's original statement:

"Does the calling of urban coyotes acerbate a growing problem between human and coyote encounters much like the feeding of coyotes?",

I presumed to believe that he, in fact, meant to use the term "exacerbate" - to make more intense; to aggravate - as in "Rich exacerbates Jay." Or, would it be "Rich acerbates Jay"? Now I'm confused!

Quote:
I presumed to believe that he, in fact, meant to use the term "exacerbate" - to make more intense; to aggravate - as in "Rich exacerbates Jay." Or, would it be "Rich acerbates Jay"? Now I'm confused!

that there is funny /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

But i still would like to cross examine JAY

here what i got so far,
sometimes coyote remeber and other times they dont

When I pulled Rich & smooth man Tyler out of the laboratory last year I learned
Higgins doesn't use prey distress to call coyotes all the time, coyotes howls and puppy distress most of the time. If they come into his howls and don't get killed, the next time they hear a real coyote howl will it make them attack a little kid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Jay I tried to reply to your PM but I got this

Quote:
This user has exceeded their private message quota and may not receive any new private messages.

We all know that shooting YOY at 3 months is not quite as pleasurable as shooting YOY at 8 months old.
Some urban coyotes may be easy to call but they ALL aren't. Open country or woodland coyotes are used to hearing real rabbits die all the time and are a cinch to fool. Urban coyotes are eating kids, trash and pets making them much harder to call... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

"Open country" or woodland coyotes are used to hearing real rabbits die all the time & are a "cinch" to fool"

WHOAAAaaaaah, there smithers. I invite you to Marshall County, Iowa. I'll spot you a few "open country coyotes" Then I'll sit & watch the "cinch coyotes" come & run at you". Let me know when you are coming. The hunt is on me[you can ride with me & I'll get you onto, the land I have permission on]. Priceless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. BTW, the hunt is open to "anyone" who may agree with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
Did you ever stop and think that maybe you are just a BAD hunter or caller... Your natural instinct to hunt has been dulled by strip malls, late night tv and fast food. Just kidding. I couldn't help it...
The entire post was a tongue in cheek, CoyoteWhacker. If they were all easy I wouldn't do it. Marshall County has more uncallable coyotes than wherever in MN TA lives. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

LOL! smithers, yeah, sometimes, I am bad.

Hmmmm, large land tracks, no shooting zones, coyotes up the ying/yang[cuz they's been a feasting on hand-outs & gimme pets]. I believe I'd do well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Coyotewhacker?, you crack me up smithers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Last edited:
At last, some hard data.

Interesting bits from the study:

-- They were surprised at how many coyotes lived inside Chicago.

-- Zero bites from coyotes and 2000 - 3000 dog bites per year.

-- What makes nuisance coyotes? Feeding them.

(My note: pretending to be food is not equivalent to giving food, and in fact has the opposite effect. Conditioning to false info, I.e. calling, is so common that among humans we have a name for it: bait and switch. None of us like it, canines nor people).

Beyond that info, the tracking studies were fascinating.

The only HUGE goof I saw in the study was pre-European distribution of coyotes: they left out all of WA, Oregon, BC, Alberta and most of Saskatchewan, Idaho, etc. I have no doubt that coyotes were present in those places, based on
Aboriginal languages and mythology. Some of the Interior Salish tribes of BC for example have the core of their mythology built around coyote, linked to local geographical features, and have an ancient word for the critter. You can almost always tell when people didn't have a pre-European word for something. Then the word is usually borrowed from another language. A word borrowed from a European language is a dead giveaway of course.

I have thought for years that on the subject of pre-European range of coyotes, biologists should track Native language and stories for a far more accurate idea of where coyotes lived before Columbus. Don't know if that is strong enough material for doctoral work or not. It is so obvious surely someone has done it, but I've been surprised at how often something obvious has never been done.

Interesting read. Thanks posting the link.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have thought for years that on the subject of pre-European range of coyotes, biologists should track Native language and stories for a far more accurate idea of where coyotes lived before Columbus.

Don't you think it is possible that the "native"peoples brought their stories and languges with them from where they came from?

I believe that most archeologists would say that humans did not originate in the Americas. They migrated from Asia/Russia and/or Europe.

Quote:
Don't you think it is possible that the "native"peoples brought their stories and languges with them from where they came from?

I believe that most archeologists would say that humans did not originate in the Americas. They migrated from Asia/Russia and/or Europe.

Good point and one that any such research would have to examine. I.e.In support of such migration, Athabascan language is linked from Navajo to Athabascan areas in Canada and Alaska and then into Siberia.

However, when the stories link an animal such as coyote to specific geographic features still easily recognizeable, such as a tall rock, it strengthens the case that the story originated in that locality, wherever the people migrated from. And it is a much more difficult problem if the people brought coyote stories from Europe or Asia with them to the Americas.

Plus, if people picked up coyote stories during their migration on the way to where they ended up, that doesn't fit the Cook County study's map. Coyote elements permeating Interior Salish culture, such as the name for February being, "the month when coyotes run on top of the snow" wouldn't be picked up enroute from Asia according to the map. It is possible but seems less likely that people went southeast, gathered the stories and brought them to E Wa and BC, etc. If I had the Journals of Lewis & Clark I'd scan through them to see if they mention coyotes say at the mouth of the Snake River in WA.

It is a excellent line of question, and I don't know the answer. My guess is that it is more likely that coyotes were in central BC before Columbus rather than that the coyote stories came from somewhere else. Would take a pile of interdiscipline research to know. There should be some bones to carbon date, etc. if a researcher had the money to do it.

Last edited:
Smithers: LOL Quote:
Marshall County has more uncallable coyotes than wherever in MN TA lives.

Not sure who has more non-responsive coyotes.
I did call in my first at home this spring. One out of 100 and some stands... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Quote:
I've seen coyotes that wouldn't come to a call. But, I killed them anyway.

And thats exactly what we do here. a 100 plus coyotes a year.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You only made 100 and some stands since the early eighties around your house TA. You must of caught on quick and traveled and hour away or more and spent your time there. I agree with you on that, if i havent called one in 100 or so stands I would travel to somewhere I could, But if I was able to hunt in the early eighties I think I still would of made more than a 100 or so stands around my area in 20 some years,,,,callable or not. I prolly wouldnt of caught on that quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back