Understanding coyote vocals?

I never learned to play chess. To dumb to learn the game I suppose. So yeah, check mate on me. lol

I've got an appointment with some big ole fat rainbows today. So now I rest my case.

Have a fine day kirby.

"trout?" trout is for girls & children. Go for monster pike. Say, take your camera & get some mountain pics. I need something to stare at & drool
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: seasleyRosetta stone worked for me! I can now understand every howl and bark that one makes female or male.

Now thats a good one.

seasley - didn't we meet out at Elk City?

Stay aftrer them
Kelly

Originally Posted By: kirby"trout?" trout is for girls & children. Go for monster pike.

A 1/0 hook through the back of a trout = Monster Pike bait...
thumbup.gif

I have as much success catching monster pike as you do killing coyotes kirby.

Did get a mountain pic or two for ya though. Kinda.

deweese4-13-111.jpg

There was 8 ewes and 4 yearlings in this bunch. It amazed me at the amount of loose rocks that came tumbling down as they went across the face of that cliff.

deweese4-13-114.jpg

deweese4-13-113.jpg

A little higher up I ran into a skiff of new snow and this bunch of sheep with some up and coming rams mixed in.

deweese4-13-116.jpg

Saw literally hundreds of deer. They were everywhere.

Doggin coyotes,
Kirby probably don't know that those mountain sheep have shorter legs on one side so that they don't tip over when walking those mountain sides.

Originally Posted By: Rich CronkDoggin coyotes,
Kirby probably don't know that those mountain sheep have shorter legs on one side so that they don't tip over when walking those mountain sides.

is this true??

"is this true??"
------------------
Why Lonnie, you don't think that a 70 year old coyote caller who is a Grandfather of 23, and Great Grandfather of 4, has bad knee's and a fat belly would joke around about something as serious as Mountain goats and such now do ya? Heck yes I would.
cry.gif

Edited to add--- Lonnie, this howl that I do with my own vocal chords tells resident coyotes that there is a strange coyote in their territory.

http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/sounds/VoiceHowl7.mp3

Last edited:
Better watch old Rich, Lonnie. He might be sending out a love message to a big male with that howl and you'll get a surprise you aren't looking for.

Originally Posted By: possumalBetter watch old Rich, Lonnie. He might be sending out a love message to a big male with that howl and you'll get a surprise you aren't looking for.

HAHA
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Rich Cronklon0121 ,
Don't let me run you off, shucks I'm harmless.

that howl was very intimidating to a lil coyote like me rich, I will just start territory else where!~

sounded good Though!~

I tried it the other night and heard nothing in return but a couple shock gobbles a few days ago. I am a horrible coyote!

Last edited:
"I tried it the other night and heard nothing in return but a couple shock gobbles a few days ago. I am a horrible coyote!"
-------------------------------------
Lonny,
It seems to be hard for most folks to understand, but howling is used for much more than triggering "vocal" responce from resident coyotes. Here in my area a coyote responds by silently approaching to investigate the situation. I use howling in daytime, and do it for the purpose of calling coyotes in to my gun. It seems to be harder for a coyote to become shy of his own language than it is to become shy of certain distress screams.

I think Rich is dead on right on this. I have started most stands with a non threatening howl for years, and at least 80% of the coyotes that have responded do so on the sneak. At the same time, a coyote howl is a good turkey call to get them to shock gobble.

Lonny, you aren't a horrible coyote; the turkeys just don't like something that will eat them or their young poults.

Bill Austin's tapes explain it better than I have seen. Recommended to me by the master Craig O'Gorman. He goes into great detail on the vocalization of the coyotes. Gives examples, expains how they are supposed to sound, when to use the sound, what the sound is for. I have his sets of tapes yet. His calls and ect were last sold out of TX I believe. He was supposed to be the first guy to make his own call to mimic the coyote sounds. He killed only 10,000 in his 30 yr career, O'Gorman is passing 39,000 trapping calling, shooting, m44, airplane, in his 40+ yr career!

Back