Tough coyotes or not enough gun?

Okay Zapper223. So what you're saying from what you read is that if humans would remove themselves from nature, nature would balance itself w/o any help from us. Where have I heard this kind of thinking before. See now why I think that kind of thinking is "crap" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Notice I said "I think", not we think, or you should think. To me it smells of anti-hunting in my opinion.

As for TV & reading in my personal life ... our TV isn't even hooked up to the antenna let alone cable. So then I have plenty of time to read & torment my hunting comrads on the internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Here is a read for ya ... Psalms 8. This I believe tells you who's in charge of balancing nature.

God bless you & your hunting & shooting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I apologize to any that didn't want to read any preaching. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

O.K. Pruson - first you taunt me with all those pretty fox you shoot, then you finish me off with a 10 pound bass. Man, I tried to catch a big bass for awhile, but never got the skills to land one. Thats it, I'm moving to VA. You can come up here and shovel this snow and finish off the rest of these 'yotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Even trade, you can even have this .223 to "worry" them with!

Zapper223 - Sorry man, I havent been hunting in 3 weeks because of a bum shoulder, and I'm gettin' crabby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i shoot a 308 with a 168gr.barnes x tri.shock alot of bullet for a yote but it does not expand to full amount but I get a long range shooting round that can take the wind and brush.its exit wound is not much bigger then the entrance hole but if you place it right he'll drop and does nothurt the hide

sleddog,

I'll extend the same kind offer to you...you can come up and shovel my snow and I'll let you clean out the yotes with my 243. You won't have to worry them at all...

UB

Victor varminter I don't know where you read anything in my post about humans leaving nature alone but its not there I said are encroachment on the land and destruction of habitat is what caused the predator prey relationship to be out of wack. There is and never will be a way to restore it to the way it was the habitat is gone . And I know GOOD AND WELL IF IT WEREN'T FOR OUR INTERVENTION WILDLIFE WOULD BE IN DIRE STRAIGHTS. As far as anti-hunting if thats what you get from the facts from the wildlife agencies as well as any wildlife biologist who's papers I have read than so be it . But I've been hunting and trapping all my life and have a profound respect for nature and enjoy gods bounty at every possible opportunity!!!!! I don't care what you think or feel about wildlife and enjoying the outdoors but if all you enjoy is the kill your missing alot of best part of hunting and being in the outdoors. The preparation , planning, scouting and just enjoying the wildlife you encounter not just the target animal is as much fun as the taking of the animal!!! And as I said this is my opinion you have every right to disagree. I just know I get a whole lot more out of my time in the outdoors than just someone who is looking to shoot somthing. This is the last thing I'm saying on this thread and will not be back to this thread .

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif sleddog, Thanks man and as I said I didn't mean to offend you or get you p'oed. I am in about the mood you were due to lack of sleep . But mine is selfimposed I've been scouting and hunting a couple thousand acres of new ground I've secured permission on every day for the last month.
Good- luck to ya , and I hope you get a shed full of coyotes this winter!
zapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

i feel differently about coyotes than any other animals in these parts i say that when it comes to coyotes any and everything i can use is fair i have shot coyotes with 250's 223's 10 & 12ga shotguns and have seen way more coyotes get up from a 223 than anything else many times when i call a coyote i look up and he is looking at me from under 50 yds a very quick shot most of the time the bigger the gun the better

Everybody; see what sleddog is doing. Those guys up north there in New England get Cabin Fever alot quicker than we do down here in Dixie.

Sleddog has Cabin Fever "plus" he is cranky cause of his shoulder surgery. He is just taking it out on all you all. And some of you he is really working over. Just calm down and pretty soon it will be over and all will be well again, as soon as he gets back up one of them trees and blasts one good.

Sleddog,
I started out coyote hunting shooting a 22-250. It's great when I hunt open farm ground. 300 yard shots are actually doable. Like you though, I began to hunt in a lot of heavy brush, because that is where the coyotes are. I quickly found that the quick shots I was required to take at coyotes that appear out of nowhere were making perfect shot placement an iffy kind of thing. I was having hard hit coyotes get up and take off. Usually they would go 75 or 100 yards before laying down again. Sometimes though they would find a hole to crawl in to die. I made sure I used 55gr hollowpoint bullets, which helped, but sometimes I still had to do some tracking after a shot. I switched to a .243 shooting an 80 gr PSP and have never lost a coyote since. If I hit it, it stays there. Yea it's a little loud for central Indiana but it's not like I'm rapid firing 30 round mags. I like to knock em on their As.. and my .243's do the job better than any .22 cf I own.

Good hunting y'all..Coyote 6974

Victor Varminter, I am the one that uses the 22 mag around towns for the very reason that I like to hunt. When neighbors complain to the landowner about high powered rifles those privelages go down the toilet fast!! Out here in western Ky neighborhoods are pretty close knit. Evrybody knows everybody and is friendly. When weather goes real bad you may need that neighbor a lot more than your going to need the guy that hunts your property. A farmer will sell out his livestock before he PO's a neighbor over a coyote.

Complaints about highpowered rifles is the very reason the LBL is limited to shotgun and rimfire during the bow season for deer and the small game seasons.Centerfire's were tried one season and there were a lot of complaints.These complaints were registered BY OTHER HUNTERS!! It doesn't matter to them that the coyote's there are hunting in packs and taking down the deer herd as long as they feel safe from stray bullets.

The public has to be taken into consideration whether we like it or not!! Jimmie

Probably one of my biggest reasons for going back to the .243 is simply size of animal. Our adult males average 39 pounds, and many can go much, mich larger up in New England. A 50 pound animal is a bit tougher to anchor for keeps.

jan20_10.jpg

Although its a hotly debated subject, I believe hibridization has started to occur here, and a 63 pound "coyote" won the season long largest coyote contest year before last.

Click this link for pics of a couple more coyotes I suspect as unusually large.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000449

well i do all my deer and fox shooting with a 243 and have never lost a deer cat or fox to the calibre.shot a 45 pound roe deer two days ago with a lung shot usin 58 grain v max bullets it droped it on the spot at 206 yards with no exit.if it will drop deer then im sure it will have the same effect on lighter coyotes.will keep chest shooting deer with this round a report on how it performs i love the 243.

Guys,
The argument in regard to which caliber is best, is kind of like arguing about religion. It usually ends up with someone getting angry. Please try to keep this thread friendly. I happen to be a lover of the quarter bore for my coyotes, but a glance at the ballistics tables in my old Speer #11 reloading manual tells me that the old .243 with 85 grain boat tail has a lot going for it. I would probably use the Sierra 85 grain "Game King" bullet if I were using a .243. That is just me. I have whacked a lot of coyotes with lesser calibers too. Use what you want, just so long as it is legal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi i like the 22 250 with a 55gr Nosler BT loaded with Varget powder and it works great on coyotes and i have a new 25 06 that i am working on a load with a Nosler 85gr BT with reloader 19 powder that i think will work great on them i dont worry about fur because of the mange both guns are Remington's 700 with 24 inch barrels VM

JimmyK: it's not like I take my Thunderboomer to the edge of town & unleash havic on the g'hog population. I use my 17's & mustly my 222 in these areas & have never had one problem. Blessed I guess? However to hear the whine of a ricochet in a populated area from a gun I shot would give me knots in my stomach. Because of this I seldom shoot rimfires when I'm out, opting for my varminting centerfires.
Anyways don't let my opinions bother you. I'm just a guy that can't swallow everything that is black on white paper & apparently doesn't spend enough time in the woods. (Boy I have no arguement w/ Zapper there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )

Iam also limited to rimfire on wma land at certain times of the year.This makes it so much harder I have to pass on alot of shots.It does work at the right ranges and perfect shot placement is a must.( I feel your pain to Jimmy)

I think we are confused on 22lr and 22mag.The .22lr is soft exsposed lead well known for Ricochet.The 22mag is a jacketed 22cal bullet.The ricochet factor is less than a .222 or .223 in psp.Not saying it wont ricochet but less likely.The lil 32g v-max almost never does.

I dont think this post started as a flame on the .224.6mm or 30cal cartridges.I dont think we will all agree on the perfect cartridge.I do think this post may cause some of us to rethink our next rifle purchase.When it is all said and done I probably will change many calibers through the years to come.Thats part of the fun.

i shot my first coyote with my .223 at around 50 yards right in the bioler room and he still made it 60 ta 70 yards before he dropped, my buddies dad said he bleed to death before the bullet killed him, the hole goin in was the size of a quarter and the exit hole was the sixe of a pencial, when i skinned him there was nothing left of his heart of lungs it was mush..ewwwwww 55gr v-max,

MAINKILLER, i think you hit the nail on the head. i agree about yotes being tough. the only yote ive ever had the chance to shoot walked right under my stand last year bowseason. i placed a broadhead right between his front shoulders. upon impact i watched the arrow go about 8 inches into his chest, he turned and jumped pulling the broadhead and insert out of the carbon arrow. and took off running. i got down looked at my arrow which had nice bright blood about 8-10 inches up it. i waited about 45 minutes then followed a blood trail for about 300 yrds where i found a place he laid down. (pool of blood coyote size). after that nothing. zero zip. i got on my hands and knees and crawled for two hours (almost crying) in bigger and bigger circles and nothing. im sure he died but how many animals could run that far hit like that.i know i got at least one lung because the blood highway i followed had places where he had sprayed pink blood about a foot up on saplings. i already had him skinned and hanging on the wall. but it wasnt to be. so yotes tough? oh yeeeeaaaahhh! Bently

Back