Tough coyotes or not enough gun?

Calm down now fellers, let's all sit down and have a big ole filet of fish, I will provide.

tenlbr6us.jpg

Notice how my arms ain't extended to make her look bigger. Thought you would like this one sleddog, now let's eat. How's the shoulder doing?

I'm with you Sleddog.
I shot male this year while deer hunting out of my stand. To make a long story short...he caught a Osceola turkey 80 yrds from my stand & was eating him. Evey time he lifted his head I could see blood around his mouth. Pissed me off. Not only did he mess up my deer hunting but got a turkey to boot.

I rolled him with my 270 in the neck. Let him lay. Maybe his buddies will see what happens to those who eat our FL. wild turkey's!
CTR

Posting from limited yote killing experience:

I've made one solid hit on a yote with my .223. I hit her slightly to the right of center on her chest and it exited behind her left front leg. Left a substantial exit wound, but she still ran 60-70 yards. If she hadn't done it in a loop right in front of me I might have lost her in the thicket.
I shot one yote with my NEF .243. It was a perfect broadside shot right through the lungs. He dropped in his tracks. The exit wound from that soft point was close to half dollar size!
I live in a world of torment, debating whether to stick with my AR or start saving for a BAR (damn you GC, I didn't even know about them until you!).
I really do believe that .243 is a better caliber for coyotes. I guess I'll start saving.

Good thread guys, keep it rolling!
Jim

I was wondering what you're opinion is going the opposite direction as far as size of weapons...the reason I ask is that I have a Remington SP-10 10ga. sitting at home and was thinking of using it for thick brush 'yotes. I've got a whole bunch of 3 1/2" BBx2 shells and full and extra full chokes to go with it. I'm thinking this might make for a pretty viable brush gun or is it just too much?

ranger518vx,
Your SP-10 will make a dandy coyote whacker. With a little bit of experimenting with various choke/load combo's, the big ten will whack em dead out to 55 yards or so. Always pattern your shotgun on paper before taking it hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pruson,

I have friends that, if they saw you taking a knife to that bass, they would give you the same kind of look they would give a child molester. Now, I'm not making any judgements or name calling. That's just how some of my friends are.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Personally I have gone down in caliber for coyote hunting. I use a 17 Rem most of the time. Sometimes I don't pull the trigger on a coyote when I feel it's not a good shot. I'll hunt him another time. I like bang/flops too. I'm not an ADC person, so Kill numbers aren't as big of a deal to me. I enjoy the hunt, and hunting with my friends. I do keep and/or sell the fur.

I don't see the need for a 243, 25-06, or what ever, for the type of coyote hunting I do. Some people don't like AR's, compound bows, Chevy's, or sliced bread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But if it works for you, then, Good for you.

coyotejunki

In reality I was the same way as your friends. If you notice there is water splashed on my jacket. There is a large cooler full of water at my feet. If you look passed the air conditioning unit at the left side of the picture, you will see the lake that he came from and actually where he went back to after the photos. That picture is ten years old, I have caught 16 bass that qualified for VA State Citations (8 lbs or better), 125 over five lbs. Used to keep meticulous records on them. I haven't fished in probably 6 or 8 years now. No live bait, all artificial. Just gave it up. That bass weighed 10 lbs 12 ounces. Pig and jig on a cold winters day. A scaled Predator!

Sleddogg,

"I started out in the coyote calling game to kill coyotes. I kill them for my own reasons, and own beliefs based on what I see happening around me. My only responsibility is to kill them cleanly and quickly. Thats what this post is about."

Well put Sir!!! Yeah... I gotta agree... Couldn't have put it better on my best day!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

$bob$

Hey CRITRGETR, that coyote was turkey huntin without a lisense! He had it coming! No mercy for them law breaking varmints! You done your duty sir, and I salute you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif kyray

I shoot a 223 and have lost very few animals, I beleive alot had to do with bullet type. I do however pass shots that are too iffy . I really enjoy being in the field pursueing what ever animal I am at the time . But the kill while I enjoy shooting is anticlimactic.(probably spelled wrong). and anyone who is NOT out for a clean , quick kill ought to stick to targets. I have a respect for all living things even those I hunt. I often on taking a deer or other trophy (there all trophies to some extent) sit there and reflect on the efforts that lead to the kill. I enjoy every minute I spend in the outdoors regardless of outcome. As far as the coyotes killing our game animals they were put on this earth for that reason to keep the balance . The reason they are a nuisance is because of mans encroachment on there habitat and the loss of the larger predators that would keep them in balance . Don't get me wrong I love to hunt them and shoot them and will target problem animals if possible. But will always have a profound respect for what they are a highly adaptable efficient predator that even after decades of persecution by man still thrive and will continue to, and I couldn't be happier about it. Yes I will continue to hunt them at every opportunity with my 223 and will take only shots that are reasonably sure and will loose the occasional animal, but will also beleive that there will be losses with other larger cals. as well, but I will not tolerate anyone saying its unethical to use 223 I have taken 200lb. plus whitetails with a 55 grn. p.p. rem. and they went less than 30 yds. my range limit however is 75-100yds. or less all have been less around 30-50yds. I havent tried this load on coyotes but doubt that they would get too far . I'm done rambling and don't mean to pi%% anyone off but we as hunters need to stick together and if we have a dispute as to ethics or clean kill etc. shouldn't discuss it in an open forum for the anti's to put in there pocket or our hunting rights and our childrens will be at stake. Just my opinion and its worth exactly what you think it is.
Good-Luck to all!!
zapper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

zapper223 wrote -
But the kill while I enjoy shooting is anticlimactic.(probably spelled wrong). and anyone who is NOT out for a clean , quick kill ought to stick to targets. I have a respect for all living things even those I hunt.
Buddy the reason started this post is for MY style of hunting, I believe the .223 is unethical for ME, thats why I started this post, to see if any other Eastern hunters shared my reservation about the .223 Remington. It seems more than a few do.

Until I went to the .223, really had no problems. You seem to have alot of knowledge on the subject, how many coyote (not deer) kills do you have in the woods? Not many I bet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yes, bullet construction does matter with the .223, as I have found by shooting coyotes with it (not Deer). Big SP's do work best, but I will get X amount of lost dogs when woods hunting period. Shot from 40 grain Vmaxes to 60 grain SP's. The X amount of coyotes that run, seems very high comparing the .223 to .243.

If you took the time to read my whole post, I have stated at least 2 or 3 times that the .223 will kill fine on chest shots.

As far as .223 on whitetail, sure. Same as coyotes, shoot 'em in the chest they die nice, shoot 'em just a little off, and you have a long day on your hands.

But when I hunt here in New England, in these thick woods, I will only call on an average 15 to 20 dogs a year. When he arrives I want him dead now, at whatever angle :eek: Waiting for a perfect shot here means you will rarely pull the trigger. I hunt to kill coyotes, not to watch them trot by with me waiting with my thumb up my butt for your "ethical shot"

Call me "unethical" too if you want, cause I have been known to unload a full clip at "yote-butt", after being busted. Just can't stand to see them rascals get away.

I'll tell ya guys, coyotes are hard to come by in my neck of the woods, and it takes hard work and determination to get one. I get up well before daylight, hunt hard all day long, walk my a$$ off, use every call ever made, face bitter cold, get soaken wet, not to mention all the "junk" I end up buying that never works, and you still come home emptyhanded most of the time. Hell, if I could catch one alive, I'd like to slowly strangle it to death! So yes, I may not take the "ethical" shot next time. My motto is, "When he shows his head, it's time for lead." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif kyray

JimT,
Sorry buddy. However, look upon this as an opportunity to expand your horizons. Yeah, that's how you propose the idea to the wife, in your thirst for knowledge.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Pruson,
Man you're talking my language. I used to fish a lot of tournaments and was sponsered by a local Champion boat dealership. March, cold temps, rising slightly warmer off color water, woody cover. AND A BLACK/BLUE/PURPLE JIG AND PIG COMBO pitched from a 6 1/2 - 7 foot pitching/flipping stick (G. Loomis) Abu Garcia spooled with from 17 pound test upward if conditions demanded. Cross their eyes on the hook set and wind em' outa there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think I'm on the same wave length as you are Kyray. I had a chance to jump off a road bank into a multifora rose bush that a coyote had ducked into, pinning it to the ground & stabbing it w/ my knife, (I didn't have a gun w/ me cause I was in another guys car) Any ways I opted to run around to the other side to head 'im off. He beat me to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I still kick my (_!_) for that one. Yeah the briars would have hurt, but I ain't had a briar scratch that didn't heal yet.

Someone said about using a 22Mag around towns. Why? Because of noise? Their ain't no way I would use a ricocheting bullet like that around town! Hearing the boom of a 243 is a lot less dangerous than an off course buzzing bullet. And if your using the poly tipped bullets your going to be hard pressed to get it to ricochet in the centerfires. Several of the farms I hunt are bordered by the corparation limits. The women & childern may go running & screaming into their houses, but I have never had any trouble from them. (just kidding about the run'/scream' thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )
And another thing ... this crap about coyotes balancing nature. Where did you get that thinking? The Disney Channel? There hasn't been a balance of nature since God killed one of God's creatures to cloth Adam & Eve! BTW If God didn't want us to wear fur & skins then why did He set the stage that way instead of weaving some cotton togas for 'em? I'm quite sure that He is quite able to do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I apologize for affending anyone, I just want you to think about it.

Sleddog,
Put your thumb where you like, I said a reasonably sure shot nothing about ethics in that part of my post. And I agree I haven't killed many in real thick woods mostly semi-open hardwoods and with proper set up selection more often than not see or hear them before they see me. I understand that your cover is much different than mine and requires different tactics and equiptment. I use a shotgun and will be using a larger cal. if conditions warrant it . I also don't like to see them run off and no my finger aint up my butt. Its just at times I would rather pass a shot and hope that the animal was less spooked than a missed shot or non-fatal hit would cause, so I can get it another time . The 223 has its place as does the 243, shotgun or whatever you choose to hunt with. I didn't direct my post at you in particular just giving my opinion. And thats all folks.
zapper

victor varminter, no disney that sounds more your style! There was and is a balanced system in nature in areas less disturbed by man, where the predator prey relationship is in balance . There were predators of predators except for the very largest predators which make up for it by producing lower #'s of offspring less frequently.But imagine that I actually learned this from reading maybe you should try it instead of watching cartoons !!
zapper

GC; you described my style to a tee. Love those Ambassador Round Reels on a Berkley 7' Lightning Rod. I was painting that fish on a brushpile that was on a ledge with my sidefinder. It was 38 degree air temp and the water temp was about 44*. She was on the south side of an island, catching the sun and blocking the the wind. She was the only bite I had all day. Pitched to that brushpile at least a dozen times. Uncle Josh Brown/Red Pork Craw behind a black Stanley 5/16 jig. Didn't feel her hit, just saw the line thump once. Yeee haw!

I used to live for that stuff, just lost that lovin' feelin'. My family still doesn't believe I quit completely. Quit dipping Skoal and smoking cigarettes. Took up distance running and killin varmints.

My Gosh Sleddoggy,

You have brought back the old 1980's 9mm vs .45 aurgument. Everybody knew the 10mm or .40 was better - no, it's not. Aaaaaaahhhhhh!

At least if the gun writer pickup on this, there will be enough magazine articles for a couple of years.

Good Thread Sled. I thought you would be frozen to a tree by now. You know, with a note pinned to your coat saying, "He who find me can have my bear rifle. It be a good rifle...."

Mike

If i was hunting coyotes for a living in the open spaces my choice of rifle would be the 220 Swift or 22-250. , but since i don't i will take the 223 any day over the others.

Back