Tikka Vs Remingtom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI can pretty much afford any rifle(s) I want, within reason. And have. When I tell you guys stuff, it is from REAL world experience. I ain't guessin'. I'm not "brand loyal" like some, or like some may think.

I have had problems with Remington's, but most minor. A couple of bad triggers I had to replace, a bad extractor once. No problems with accuracy, EVER.

I've no problem calling junk, junk. Regardless of who's name is on it. X-mark pro triggers suck. Have said it since day one. Other Remington products suck also, like their semi-auto 7400s and the like.

Some people will defend their purchases to the bitter end, with blinders on. Not me. My feelings on the 700 as the best overall choice in a bolt gun today have come from years of unbiased experience. Years of shooting literally hundreds of rifles. After a while, you come to know what constitutes a quality product.

I have guns that sit in the safe and do nothing more but appreciate in value. Most are pre-64 Winchesters, but I'm no stranger to the old Remingtons designs, Savage 99s, etc. You can look at these guns and they exude quality. Someone who doesn't even know guns well can look at them and know they are of worthy of respect.

The trend today is of more mass producing, and less hand fitting of parts. Berretta and it's sister companies are pretty much leading the charge. Designs such as the 700 and Win 70 (Mauser 98) have not changed in years, for the most part. They are of very solid design. Worthy of being passed down as family heirlooms.

Actions such as the Tikka were designed with one thing, and one thing only in mind, cutting costs. If this is not readily apparent to some, I really don't know what to say. They simply don't know what a quality rifle consists of. The evidence is right there. Costs cut at nearly every corner. Older people know this, and can see it readily. The newbies simply haven't learned yet, or haven't had the chance to compare to something of actual quality. Show some old timer your plastic Tikka and see what he thinks. Or your plastic covered shotgun.

700s are offered in a LOT of different forms. Seems the cheapest one, the SPS, is the only one that gets compared to the Tikka. How much more does a standard SPS cost than a T3? Anything? Less?

Ever seen or heard of ANY military or police using a Tikka or A-bort? Ever see any custom Tikkas or A-borts? Know of any smiths who use Tikkas or A-borts as a basis for customs? I don't. This should tell you something, if it doesn't, again, I don't know what to say.

I'm sorry boys, but some of the crap that actually passes as a "quality" hunting rifle around here is laughable at best, even Chuck knows it........

http://www.chuckhawks.com/critical_look_T3.htm

Well, you and Chuck are entitled to your opinions.

The last rifle I purchased was a Browning X-Bolt. This rifle replaced a Remington 700 CDL....a beautiful rifle(after Remington replaced the defective stock)....but it would not shoot to my satisfaction(it would outshoot an old Remington 742 though). The Browning has outshot the Remington from day one, did not have a defect in the stock, has better fit and finish, a better trigger, and feels better to me.

IMO my CDL was all show and no go....kinda like the guys that put the "5.0" or "GT" emblems on their V6 Mustangs.

John Browning would take his own life if he were alive to see the Japanese crap bearing his name these days. Only Browning has managed to screw up a bolt gun worse than Tikka............

Kinda like Weatherby?
grin.gif
Howa's it Going?
grin.gif

Vanguard/1500 made in Japan. Same thing. I Like My Howa too.. didnt have to do anything to it, but shoot it. I saved a buck or two on bedding.. and the like.. lol

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunJohn Browning would take his own life if he were alive to see the Japanese crap bearing his name these days. Only Browning has managed to screw up a bolt gun worse than Tikka............

Pure opinion with zero substance to back it up. Looks to me like Remington has done a great job of screwing up their own model 700.

Last edited:
this has been somewhat entertaining but more so, all over the map.
Tikka is doing exactly as it was intended. Giving all the competition a run.
Remington is not even in the same category as my Sauer as they will make almost anybody drool. Sako has been very good to me also.
Pretty funny that Hawks is so bent that the checkering pattern is a problem on the Tikka. Apparently being broken into smaller sections is cheap. It suits me fine.
I don't recall the beautiful checkering on my Weatherby Mark V Deluxe helping out in the accuracy dept. Only found One load that could even come close to 1.5" @100. Maybe if they had just broken that checkering pattern up it would have shot better.
Yeah I remember the Tikka/Sako stainless barrel blow ups. Beretta had a recall for the guns affected by the bad batch of steel. Only a handful blew up and they took care of it. Unlike Remington opting for profit and hiding from the known trigger problem.
How many times has Remington gone broke or bankrupt or been bought out.
How many guns has Remington produced in the last 50 years with plastic part. Lets see was it the 600 or Mohawk, then the nylon 66 and the xp 100.
It is my understanding there are starting to be aftermarket replacement parts starting to appear with the popularity of the Tikka.
If money were no object I am sure many would pass the Tikka. Money or not, there are many who appreciate Tikka performance out of the box.
I witnessed first hand a world known high end gun maker purchase a Tikka for a hunting trip half way around the world.
Good reason, he knew it would perform out of the box and if it got damaged or seized then he could replace it.

Quote:Tikkas have been used by various law enforcement agencies and military special ops units around the world including the SAS (British Special Air Service).

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/special-weapons/tikka-t3-tactical-308/

My remingtons dont need work either... i lowered the poundage on my triggers to my liking and put different stocks on them just so I could have a floor plate... shoot moa all day long... im not dissing tikka at all... never shot one... but dont go acting like you have to go fix every remington you buy. If I build custom rifles its off a 700 action... savage is a close 2nd these days with their target actions...

Originally Posted By: jbrodie7My remingtons dont need work either... i lowered the poundage on my triggers to my liking and put different stocks on them just so I could have a floor plate... shoot moa all day long... im not dissing tikka at all... never shot one... but dont go acting like you have to go fix every remington you buy. If I build custom rifles its off a 700 action... savage is a close 2nd these days with their target actions... 100% agree with you. Only thing I have done to my Remingtons is adjusted the triggers to 2Ibs. and do a barrel break-in proceedure. With reloads my Remingtons are shooting less them moa at 100yds. depending on the operator behind the trigger.

2muchgun, you change your story alot! First you say all your opinions are factual and from experience, then you say youd take a howa or vangaurd over any japanese made a-bolt or tikka? HOWAS AND VANGAURDS ARE MADE IN JAPAN! And i have seen 4 custom a-bolts at a shoot and they shot amazing! Ive also seen t-bolts used in benchrest competition. Your opinions are just as weak minded as you think tikka fans are! You didnt answer any of my question either. Is that because you couldnt give the honest answer to them cuz ud be wrong?

I'm pretty sure I know where Howas and Vanguards are made there son. I've owned 'em for over 25 years. A-bolts are made out of pot metal, 1500s ain't.

Trying to teach the clueless is truly a daunting task.........

Originally Posted By: 700xcrOriginally Posted By: jbrodie7My Remington's don't need work either... i lowered the poundage on my triggers to my liking and put different stocks on them just so I could have a floor plate... shoot moa all day long... I'm not dissing tikka at all... never shot one... but don't go acting like you have to go fix every Remington you buy. If I build custom rifles its off a 700 action... savage is a close 2nd these days with their target actions... 100% agree with you. Only thing I have done to my Remingtons is adjusted the triggers to 2Ibs. and do a barrel break-in procedure. With reloads my Remingtons are shooting less them moa at 100yds. depending on the operator behind the trigger.

That's been my experience as well, and since I like to "personalize" (LOL) my rifles, Remington's a natural pick for me with all the after market support available.

I'm not gonna get in this pee party, other than to say that Remington's not the only company being debated here that's gone through hard financial times and been bought out by a larger corporation. So not only is that argument the pot calling the kettle black, it's totally irrelevant.
Heck, I'm pretty sure that even my current favorite manufacturer (CZ) has changed hands a time or two.
Caarry on.

Last I checked, Tikka has changed hands 2 times that I know of. Rest assured, it's been a downhill slide.......

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunI'm pretty sure I know where Howas and Vanguards are made there son. I've owned 'em for over 25 years. A-bolts are made out of pot metal, 1500s ain't.

Trying to teach the clueless is truly a daunting task.........

Pot metal, huh? Are you now a metallurgist? Your ol' buddy Chuck Hawks seems to like the A-Bolt's.

Last edited:
actually their not pot metal thats just a stupid association you have with guns you dont like. Unless im blind, i beleave legacey sports international is japanese owned and howas are manufactured in japan. It says so right on the box! Vangaurds are the same considering their manufactured in the same plants! A-bolts are quality no matter what you say about them or any other brand, there are 10s of thousands of owners to prove you wrong!

LOL ... entertainment at it's best......
thumbup.gif

Well, I've owned a Remington that I hated. Wouldn't group. I got all kind of suggestions like: ... bed it ... replace the trigger ... etc.

I've owned 2 Tikkas that I did NOTHING to. And they grouped well under 1/2 MOA. And that's all I can ask for a coyote or prairie dog rifle.
cool.gif

If you love your Remmy, good for you! If you love your Tikka, good for you also! I've got no loyalty to ANY rifle manufacturer. All I want is to get my money's worth and not have to jump through hoops to get a NEW rifle to shoot!
wink.gif

My Tikka is my choice in bolt guns. Beretta CS my not be great but the tikka rifles are.

on that note, i would also look into savage rifles, they are eally supposed to be coming into their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back