The mystique of thee 220 Swift

Originally Posted By: pyscodogActually, the first Swift was produced for the Model 54, then is 1935 Winchester made it a production caliber for the Model 70 and it lasted until 1964 and was discontinued. Or at least that what it said on Wikipedia. Pretty good reading about the Swift.I still prefer the 22-250AI but thats just me.

It indeed was first chambered in the Model 54 which was just an early ~98% Model 70 derivative as far as the rifle action was concerned. The Model 54, for example, had a 2 stage trigger which was changed to a single stage trigger with the Model 70 designation. Also, the safety was changed from a Mauser style flip safety to the current side swing safety design. In essence, with a couple of changes such as a better trigger and a more scope friendly safety since telescopic sights were becoming popular, coupled with a couple of purely cosmetic changes to the barrel and the rifle stock, the Model 54 action was reintroduced as the Model 70 with a lot of marketing hype such as it being "The Rifleman's Rifle".

Winchester first envisioned the Swift as being derived from the 250 Savage case, but they were unable to safely get their intended 4K+ fps muzzle velocity so they later settled on the necked down Lee Navy 6MM cartridge which is the basis for today's 220 Swift. In essence the Model 54 was the rifle used to finalize the Swift cartridge design to be commercially introduced with the Model 70 rifle. As an aside, the 250 Savage case is the original parent of today's 22-250 Remington cartridge.

As stated above, Winchester officially legitimized today's 220 Swift cartridge design as a commercial offering with the introduction of the Model 70 rifle.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogActually, the first Swift was produced for the Model 54, then is 1935 Winchester made it a production caliber for the Model 70 and it lasted until 1964 and was discontinued. Or at least that what it said on Wikipedia. Pretty good reading about the Swift.I still prefer the 22-250AI but thats just me.

I had a typo,It was actually introduced in 1936 for the M70, not 1935. And they did get some unbelievable velocities even back then.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: pyscodogActually, the first Swift was produced for the Model 54, then is 1935 Winchester made it a production caliber for the Model 70 and it lasted until 1964 and was discontinued. Or at least that what it said on Wikipedia. Pretty good reading about the Swift.I still prefer the 22-250AI but thats just me.

I had a typo,It was actually introduced in 1936 for the M70, not 1935. And they did get some unbelievable velocities even back then.

Keep in mind that those original Swift velocities were with ~40 grain bullets. Today's metallurgical technology and vastly improved powders make 4K+ easily obtainable and economically feasible with even heavier bullets.

If you are interested in how close the case designs for the Swift and the 22-250 are related, Google Grosvenor Wotkyns and read away.

I am into “building” Savage bolt guns and along the way acquired a (hopefully) lightly used 220 Swift barrel in stainless varmint contour.

I also acquired a barrel in 22-250 stainless sporter about the same time.

My only left hand bolt is a stainless Savage short action flat back. I had it in 6mm BR for quite a while but it would not feed from the magazine.

I was itching for a change up.

Along the way I acquired dies and plenty of brass for my purposes (coyotes).

To say I was torn between these two esteemed cartridges is an understatement butthe 22-250 barrel is shooting like SIN and that is hard to turn my back on at this point.

I am still yearning to get that Swift heated up. I shot a friendstement. Ultimately the 22-250 won out. But it was barrel contour in my case that swayed me. The fact is I need portability.

I am still yearning to heat up that Swift barrel though. I shot a friend’s once and was hooked. I like seeing the end result on a predator before the recoil snitches that away.

The 204 Ruger gives me that as well as an AR I have with a brake but that is another story.

Three44s

Last edited:

Always good to hear from Rusty about the 220 Swift. I am 71, My Dad taught me to load the 220 Swift when I was 14. Dad had a 1947 Winchester 70. I got my Swift in 1963 Winchester 70. I put them away before they got shot out, still have great rifling left. I tore them down and box them up in my safe. I also shoot Ruger m77 Mark II like Rustydusty, Nice rifle. I found one of the gray finished ones. Leupold came out with matching gray 4.5X14 scope as you can see in the picture. This rifle has a great stock.

P1c1euT.jpg

Possibly the 220 Swift back in the day was a little like the 6.5 Creedmore is today. I jumped on the 220 Swift when I was in High School back in the late 70's. I could have easily jumped on the 22-250 but I was starting to reload and my mindset at the time was that I wanted the "hottest" thing out there at the time.
While I don't shoot my current Swift at blazing speeds with every round I put down the tube, I know that if I wanted to I can. My current "go to" load is the Sierra 52 gr HPBT Gameking running about 3865 fps. I can put 10 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards and for my purposes, that is good enough. It whacks the yotes with authority and the bullets does little fur damage.
One could take virtually any caliber and find fault with it, noting why one is better than the other etc.
Bottom line is the 220 Swift got the moniker of being the king of the 22 caliber centerfire varmint rounds early on and it stuck. I have many buddies that have shot the 22-250 for years but over cold beers they always "wished" they had the Swift. Just because it did not catch on with the masses does not make it a dud.
In the mean time, I will just continue to shoot the [beeep] out of varmints with my dated, old school and behind the times 220 Swift!

Originally Posted By: WyoBullPossibly the 220 Swift back in the day was a little like the 6.5 Creedmore is today. I jumped on the 220 Swift when I was in High School back in the late 70's. I could have easily jumped on the 22-250 but I was starting to reload and my mindset at the time was that I wanted the "hottest" thing out there at the time.
While I don't shoot my current Swift at blazing speeds with every round I put down the tube, I know that if I wanted to I can. My current "go to" load is the Sierra 52 gr HPBT Gameking running about 3865 fps. I can put 10 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards and for my purposes, that is good enough. It whacks the yotes with authority and the bullets does little fur damage.
One could take virtually any caliber and find fault with it, noting why one is better than the other etc.
Bottom line is the 220 Swift got the moniker of being the king of the 22 caliber centerfire varmint rounds early on and it stuck. I have many buddies that have shot the 22-250 for years but over cold beers they always "wished" they had the Swift. Just because it did not catch on with the masses does not make it a dud.
In the mean time, I will just continue to shoot the [beeep] out of varmints with my dated, old school and behind the times 220 Swift!

+100.
thumbup.gif

Well said.

The Sierra 52 Grain BTHP "Target" bullet works great in just about any 22 CF cartridge. Its tough enough for minimal damage on coyotes at high speeds, and it is hugely accurate no matter what you shoot it in.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I've not been without a 220 Swift for years "just because". However, one of my 22-250 rifles is generally called on for serious coyote hunting....again, "just because". The bottom line is: You can't go wrong with either.

Frank Glaser AKA Alaska Wolf Man was a early fan . I forgot most of the details and date 1930 s I think. Whacked many wolves caribou and I believe a grizzly too .Some on here could be more accurate on those details as it has been many moons since I read it !That fellow burned a lot of powder.

Winchester included .220 Swift chambering in their mid-1990s Heavy Varmint series (had stainless Wilson barrels). Any used ones selling today seem to be snatched up, usually not cheaply.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223The name of this thread is the Mystique of thee 220 Swift.... not my factory ride was a little slower than yours I so I put a little nitrous on it aka AI but you cant have it so its fair lol....
tt2.gif

You know kind of like it transgender excelling in women's competitions LOL
thumbup1.gif
w00t.gif

Originally Posted By: willy1947
Always good to hear from Rusty about the 220 Swift. I am 71, My Dad taught me to load the 220 Swift when I was 14. Dad had a 1947 Winchester 70. I got my Swift in 1963 Winchester 70. I put them away before they got shot out, still have great rifling left. I tore them down and box them up in my safe. I also shoot Ruger m77 Mark II like Rustydusty, Nice rifle. I found one of the gray finished ones. Leupold came out with matching gray 4.5X14 scope as you can see in the picture. This rifle has a great stock.

P1c1euT.jpg

I just snagged a LN “Target Grey” in .220 Swift, exactly like this. Looking at one of the new gun metal FFP Bushnell Nitro scopes for it, probably a 6-24X. Am looking online for an owner’s manual for the rifle; just wondering if I should try to “stair step” the rimmed Swift cases when stacking in the mag.
Just from sighting in a (temporary) scope with some old factory ammo, this thing looks like it could be a shooter, btw.

Last edited:

I just snagged a LN “Target Grey” in .220 Swift, exactly like this. Looking at one of the new gun metal FFP Bushnell Nitro scopes for it, probably a 6-24X. Am looking online for an owner’s manual for the rifle; just wondering if I should try to “stair step” the rimmed Swift cases when stacking in the mag.
Just from sighting in a (temporary) scope with some old factory ammo, this thing looks like it could be a shooter, btw.
[/quote]

I have never noticed any problems with loading my rifles. The rim is very small.
I mostly shoot it a single shot anyway.
I have never shot anything above a 45 gr pill. DeathwindII enjoy your rifle.
Be careful on foggy days your bullet will burn up in the first 100 yards.

Originally Posted By: deathwind IIOriginally Posted By: willy1947

P1c1euT.jpg

Yes, you will want to stair step the rounds when you load the magazine well.

Originally Posted By: UtahcallerYeah you are totally right there’s always something better and faster. If I wanted something faster than my 22-250 AI I would look at a 22-243 AI again better case design and better brass than a Swift AI......I just wonder, if the Swift is so great why doesn’t every Rifle Manufacter produce it like they still do the .22-250. If it is so Amazing like everybody is saying “The King”. You’d think everybody would want a piece of the action. But to the contrary it has disappeared into history. Except the few that get custom barrels chambered in the the cartridge. Just sayin

This thread isn’t about a Swift being better than a 22-250? I have both and I enjoy shooting both but you seem to be saying your AI is faster than a Swift but to accomplish that you had to build an AI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dogslayer24
This thread isn’t about a Swift being better than a 22-250? I have both and I enjoy shooting both but you seem to be saying your AI is faster than a Swift but to accomplish that you had to build an AI.

thumbup1.gif

“but you seem to be saying your AI is faster than a Swift but to accomplish that you had to build an AI.”

Short answer: Yes and Yes....

Mine is better because its faster, and its bigger, and it's what I own, and it's more cool, and it talks to me..... And did I say its faster and it's what I own so you lose?

Back