the best varmint scope for the $

Quote:
I have 3 44mag scopes. nothing but good things about these.My $600 burris is in the shop after 20 rounds.Price isnt a indicator for a reliable scope.

I have a Simmons 44 Mag 3-10x on my .17 HMR and a 6.5-20x on my Savage 10FP in .223. For the money, I have no complaints about it. I got it for $89 on closeout from Natchez. I will buy some expensive glass some day, but I haven't had a scope crap out on me yet.

Vern58

Good luck with the 6.5-20x52 Cabelas Alaskan Guide I have heard some good things about that scope. The PD's won't notice those light ring marks at all. That's a good range of scope for PD's at a killer price rock on.

Last edited:
We all get hung up on the bells and whistles and the variable power scopes (me too), but it's hard to beat the inherent quality of a fixed power scope. In that area the Leupys have the brass ring with the MK8 series (some of the older redfield fixed powers were great too).

In the variables, I think most Luepolds, while great scopes, are a little over priced compared to some others of similar quality (Nikon, Pentax).

Is there a high risk in buying scopes off ebay or not? I would think a person would be skeptical. Do most of you have good luck buying scopes this way?

Responce to the ebay ????'s. Just today bought my 3rd Nikon Buckmaster 6X18. The last 2 have been over the ebay site. I look at their ratings and see if anyone has had a problem with the seller. I have bought from companys and not individuals though. Now I need to change the signature on the bottom. It will go on the .204. I'm pumped. Forgot to mention I saved $65-70 over the cost at Sportsman or Cabelas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Last edited:
I just find it hard to spend 50-100 bucks less on a scope that is greatly inferior. I would put a scope that costs less than $200 on a gun that needs a good scope. That said, I do have a $60 Bushnell job on my .17hmr, but that's a rimfire, and I don't shoot it that much. I only have Leupold glass on my centerfire rifles. I may put a Burris on my next gun, just because of the good deals you can find on them on the internet and they have very good glass.

Nikon Monarch. They're not cheap, but they are high quality at a fair price. Leupold for a second pick, outstanding customer service and consistent quality.

I can't even see 500yds! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif I have a Leupold 3 X 9 with a heavy recticle on my Savage 12FV 22-250.
[image]
chet.jpg
[/image]

beagler: Go west young man , where you can get the full potential of that fine shootin iron you got there. That would really reach out there in Wyoming on P-dogs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Scopes-Scopes-Scopes Scopea I have a gaggle

22 rim fire has a 4x Weaver

17 HMR has a Burris 6x18

204 has a Mueller 8x25

222 has a 3x10 Sightron

223 has a 8x32 Tasco

22-250 has a 6x14 Weaver

220 swift has a 6x18 Bushnell

243 varmint barrel has a 6x18 Bushnell

243 rem. CDL Wears a 6x14 Burris

The above is the scoped arsonal for varmints

.22-250 w/ a Sightron SII 4-16 w/ adjustable objective.

I'm looking for a scope for my 30-06, and am thinking of getting another SII.

I have a buddy that bought a leupold for about 580.00 some years ago when we went to SD to p dogs..I bought a 120.00 tasco 6.5-20x44 with a 1/8 target dot for about 120.00 at the same time. The Tasco was clearer and drilled them every bit as good as his.
He has sent his back twice and mine has never been touched. Now some 10 years later all my varmint rigs wear the tasco varmint seris scopes. The are the best bang for my buck.
The high dollor scopes are fine if you have the cash to spare but there are also just as good ones out there for alot less.Just my 2 cents.

Back